Drafting OLB Verse at #21 overall may signal a parting with Chubb | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting OLB Verse at #21 overall may signal a parting with Chubb

When we needed to free up some cap space we opted to restructure Chubb and declined to do so with Hill. Found that very telling. Chubb will be here for the next 2-3 seasons, Phillips likely gets locked up long term some time in the near future. Having 3 very good edge rushers is a huge luxury especially with both Chubb AND Phillips having major red flags medically dating back several years.

That being said…. If we’re going edge in Rd1 and Latu isn’t available I’d prefer to move down and take Chop Robinson over selecting Verse at 21.

Wouldn’t be upset at any of the top four edge rushers at 21, however. Just preference.

Ya if only we could play Carolina, New England and the NYJ's every week. Even his sack against Dallas was unblocked. Very few instances of him actually beating a OT with a pass rush move and not just being the beneficiary of another players pass rush.

He lacks true pass rush moves. He needs stunts, a QB to hold onto the ball too long or someone else to flush the QB out of the pocket. Or he needs to be facing Mekhi Becton.

Too his credit, he hustles and doesn't give up but he definitely is nothing special when it comes to rushing the passer. He doesn't have what Jaelen Phillips has, in terms of talent.

He's nothing special and I certainly wish we had those picks and contract back. AVG was better at beating OT's than Chubb was, last year.
...and yet, he outperforms Phillips.

...and yet, he outperforms Phillips.

How do you figure? A lot of Chubbs plays came after Phillips initial pressure.

Phillips drew a lot more attention last year than Chubb did. Phillips was the one abusing Lane Johnson.

If you think Chubb is in the same league talent wise and Phillips, not much I’m going to say that will change your mind. The talent disparity between the two is obvious.

Even Van Ginkel has more pass rush ability than Chubb.

I am no fan of Chubb and called him out regularly for doing absolutely nothing early last season. However he did improve as the season progressed and with that contract he is a Dolphin for the foreseeable future.

I personally don’t get the urge to take an edge defender early. By all accounts Chubb and Phillips are progressing well. While they may miss some time early in the season they will return when it matters. We signed Barrett to help with that transition.

Chubb’s contract dictates that he isn’t going anywhere for at least 2 years. Verse and Latu will be 24 year old rookies and you are going to basically ask them to be spot pass rushers for 2 years? Assuming either makes it to a second contract they will be 29 years old.

So they would be part-time players for 2 years, and by the time they get to their second contract they would be at the declining stage of their careers.

That to me seems like a waste of a 1st round pick.

Back
Top Bottom