Drafting The “patriot Way” | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drafting The “patriot Way”

Dont let anyone ever convince you that toilet paper is just toilet paper. You need to invest in real good toilet paper, generic toilet paper will make you suffer a lot.

There is no way Miami can follow the "Patriot way" in the draft. The Pats are aways picking 31 or 32 in the first round so they are pretty much already starting out in the second round. They don't have many holes to fill, as a matter of fact half of their picks don't even make the team or get put on "IR". They are always awarded high compensatory draft picks in 3rd or fourth round so they are guaranteed a couple extra picks. So would be a lot easier for them to trade some picks for the next year than Miami. We have too many holes to fill and you need to take advantage of the draft, especially when it is favorable to a position of need....like this year is DL and OL. Next years draft might not be that strong and your left empty handed with your extra picks.

And that's something they can afford to do because of #12 at the QB position. He masks a lot offensively. All of a sudden, you don't need to take a chance on the best offensive skillset position player. Because #12 can make up that difference for an average(statistically more likely to draft) skillset player.

Heck, it even has a dual effect on the defensive side of the football. Specifically, it puts more pressure on that teams offense to keep up in scoring. Which plays right into the Patriots defenses hand.

In the Super Bowl as soon as NE scored you could see the pressure level blow a gasket for the Rams offense. Now they had to force things and you knew they were as likely to turn the ball over or score.
All great points!

That makes it even more imperative that we have a very high pick to get a real hyper-precise QB in 2020 to fill that role in this system. None of the QB's in 2019 are in that category of accuracy.

I hate the fact that the Dolphins have to copy another teams “way”, I would rather have them be the trendsetter, But nothing’s worked thus far.

All great points!

That makes it even more imperative that we have a very high pick to get a real hyper-precise QB in 2020 to fill that role in this system. None of the QB's in 2019 are in that category of accuracy.

Agreed! But I can't help but think the organization is going to push things on that front and draft a QB this year that may not be ideal. Simply because they need a "face" at the position.

That is my fear as well. Everyone understands and makes a rational decision about tanking … and in the beginning they seem all in on it. But as the wheels start to come off and the losses pile up, everyone starts to think their job is on the line. When pressure is applied, that's when it sometimes goes awry. Like with Sparano and Matt Moore in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. I really hope we don't failsauce this again.

That is my fear as well. Everyone understands and makes a rational decision about tanking … and in the beginning they seem all in on it. But as the wheels start to come off and the losses pile up, everyone starts to think their job is on the line. When pressure is applied, that's when it sometimes goes awry. Like with Sparano and Matt Moore in the Suck for Luck sweepstakes. I really hope we don't failsauce this again.

Well here's another way of looking at it. Even with our best tank job we likely wouldn't end up with the #1 overall pick at best(or worst depending on your viewpoint) we'd end up top 7. Which means we'd likely still have to give up a lot to move to the #1 spot to secure the QB pick. This is also assuming the team holding that pick doesn't need a Qb.

So, if we actually play to win games we'd likely end up somewhere in the top 13-18 pick.

Thus, the question becomes how much more expensive(pick wise) is it to move up from #13-18 to #1 vs. #7 to #1?

Well here's another way of looking at it. Even with our best tank job we likely wouldn't end up with the #1 overall pick at best(or worst depending on your viewpoint) we'd end up top 7. Which means we'd likely still have to give up a lot to move to the #1 spot to secure the QB pick. This is also assuming the team holding that pick doesn't need a Qb.

So, if we actually play to win games we'd likely end up somewhere in the top 13-18 pick.

Thus, the question becomes how much more expensive(pick wise) is it to move up from #13-18 to #1 vs. #7 to #1?
I think if we try, we should end up with the #1 overall pick. Most of the time teams aren't trying to tank. But, there will be multiple teams tanking in 2021 for Trevor Lawrence, so our chance to get the top notch QB is 2020. In the Suck for Luck sweepstakes we were 0-7, and had we had a coach who was committed to tanking, we definitely would have had the #1 overall pick. That's my take on it at least. But players hate to lose, coaches hate to lose, and Sparano was fired anyway. Maybe if he had tanked, he might have had a season to take a shot with Luck.

I hate the fact that the Dolphins have to copy another teams “way”, I would rather have them be the trendsetter, But nothing’s worked thus far.
T** P******* W** doesn't exist, it's just a media narrative.

The only 'way' we'll be operating over the next two years is the what Cleveland have done in an attempt to end up where they're sitting now, although knowing us we'll get the the wrong one and wind up 1-15 with a round 1 QB bust.

Some things that stand out about NE's personnel (focusing on physical characteristics):

* HUGE OT's who are less athletic than average (will only come into play if James walks)

* Smallish, athletic OG's. Both Mason and Thuney ran sub-5.0 40s, and both tested well in the agility drills while weighing less than 305.

* Big LB's. Van Noy is listed at 250+, and Hightower is around 260.

* Big, long DE's.

* Strong, thickly-built CB's. Gillmore is listed at 202, and Jackson weighed in at 201 at the Combine. Gillmore is an elite athlete, and Jackson is very good. Eric Rowe is also a 200+ lb CB. Butler is smaller at 190, but after favoring, and struggling with, smaller CB's for a while, NE has generally favored thicker players in recent years.

T** P******* W** doesn't exist, it's just a media narrative.

The only 'way' we'll be operating over the next two years is the what Cleveland have done in an attempt to end up where they're sitting now, although knowing us we'll get the the wrong one and wind up 1-15 with a round 1 QB bust.
Negative Nancy?

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-draft-philosophy-2017-4

If it means fewer jerks and self-centered types on the roster, I am all for it. Again, the aspect that stood out to me in the Super Bowl was how level headed and unemotional the Patriots bench was, after finally gaining the 10-3 lead. I kept thinking how the current Dolphins roster would be attempting all types of stupidity in the same situation:

"Recently, Urban Meyer pulled back the curtain on one of Belichick's roster-building philosophies. That is, Belichick has reached a point in his career where he can afford to be picky and jettison players he doesn't like.

From Meyer:

"I'm always amazed how he takes the non-stars and makes them stars," Meyer said while introducing Belichick at an Ohio State football clinic (via landof10.com). "He takes these players that you haven't really heard much about and all of a sudden they're making great plays in the biggest games of the year.

"I started asking him about it, and he made this point to me, and I shared this with our team. He said, 'At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around, and that's it, and I'm not going to coach anybody else.'"

There is no "Patriot Way". There is a BB way. We need to make our own way. If you look at BBs background, listen to him talk, compare him to his peers, it's blatantly obviously he is just more intelligent and has better savvy than other coaches.

https://www.businessinsider.com/bill-belichick-new-england-patriots-draft-philosophy-2017-4

If it means fewer jerks and self-centered types on the roster, I am all for it. Again, the aspect that stood out to me in the Super Bowl was how level headed and unemotional the Patriots bench was, after finally gaining the 10-3 lead. I kept thinking how the current Dolphins roster would be attempting all types of stupidity in the same situation:

"Recently, Urban Meyer pulled back the curtain on one of Belichick's roster-building philosophies. That is, Belichick has reached a point in his career where he can afford to be picky and jettison players he doesn't like.

From Meyer:

"I'm always amazed how he takes the non-stars and makes them stars," Meyer said while introducing Belichick at an Ohio State football clinic (via landof10.com). "He takes these players that you haven't really heard much about and all of a sudden they're making great plays in the biggest games of the year.

"I started asking him about it, and he made this point to me, and I shared this with our team. He said, 'At this point in my career, I want to coach guys I like. I want to coach guys I want to be around, and that's it, and I'm not going to coach anybody else.'"

Excellent quote (and pretty funny coming from Myer). If I actually had to be around the players, Bosa would be off my board.

If we're ever offered the trade mentioned in this article, I'd snap that team's hand off immediately! Who wouldn't trade this year's 3rd for a 4th this year and both an 2nd and 3rd next year?!?!?!!? Nobody is offering us that.

It happens. That's how picks are valued. A 2nd this year is worth a 1st next year.

Back
Top Bottom