Drew Lock Destroying #11 Ranked Florida | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Lock Destroying #11 Ranked Florida

Wow. Lock is obviously a polarizing force around these parts!

Just what we need after Thill.

:arghh

Really? How many NFL prospects are on the Missouri O-line? How about Alabama’s?

Missouri had at least 3 NFL prospects starting on their offensive line last year - Paul Adams, Yasir Durant and Tre'Vour Wallace-Simms. That's both tackles and a guard.

Alabama had 4 - Jonah Williams, Ross Pierschbacher, Jedrick Willis and Alex Leatherwood. Although Leatherwood played out of position last year at RG. He's a natural left tackle.

You have to watch all of his games - 4 years worth - to get the full picture on Drew Lock. You'll see throws like the pick six he threw against S. Carolina to lose the game. His flaw is to retreat straight back against pressure, then he tried to throw it to a receiver laying on the ground...

(8:28 mark)

Evaluating quarterbacks isn't easy. It's not as simple as good stats = good game. Bad stats = bad game. Interception = bad. No interception = good. Completion = good. Incompletion = bad. Etc....

If that was the case anybody could do it and there would be no need to break down film. All you'd have to do is look at stats, which is what 95% of people do when they fall in love with or dislike quarterbacks.

Even Drew Lock's completions aren't ideal a lot of times. Take the second throw of the game against Georgia for example - a game you said you watched. He has the RB#1 coming out the backfield wide open on a wheel. It's a completion that results in a huge play - mainly due to the back's ability. But break the play down further....

Lock is 3 beats too late getting the ball out to the back. He's wide open but Lock doesn't come off his initial read in a timely manner, and almost lets the DB Tyrique McGhee get over in time to knock Badie out of bounds. There's no reason for Lock to be focused on his initial read that long - UGA is playing 2 deep safeties.

Only great balance by the back and very poor one arm tackle attempt by #26 allowed the play to succeed to the extent that it did. You want the QB to see this and make this decision faster. Process what's going on faster.

Lock has a particular fan that likes to point out his lone TD pass against Alabama where he stood in the pocket against literally no pass rush, and had a full 6.5 seconds to finally find a receiver. Bama's two worst DB's that gave up all the TD's this year (Savion Smith and Deionte Thompson) just couldn't cover that long. Watch the play over and over again and use your stopwatch to count how long he's able to stand back there with no threat of a DL even getting off a block. It's a full 6.5 seconds.

(1:58 mark)

These are just examples. But if you've watched this kid for 4 years as closely as I have, you're just not sold on guys like this. He'll play in the NFL for a little while because of his physical tools. I like his arm and his athleticism. But I'll bet as high as anybody wants to bet that he's not going to be a franchise quarterback at the next level. He has Ryan Tannehill's flaws in terms of dealing with pressure and processing information quickly enough. It's not an IQ thing. It's a football instinct and spatial awareness thing.

This my friends is how you scout a player. Damn skippy!

Saying that you will bet a guy will never become a franchise QB, doesnt reinforce your argument. We understand you dont like Lock. Its also okay for other people to think differently. But its so weird. Its almost taboo to like Lock on this forum.

Sure it's ok for other people to like Lock and nobody said anything to the contrary. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But there's nothing wrong with trying to clear up some false narratives and myths surrounding Lock and the talent on Missouri's roster either.

Really? How many NFL prospects are on the Missouri O-line? How about Alabama’s?

No team in the SEC is really devoid of talent besides Arkansas at the moment. Kyle Shurmur at Vandy but up the same numbers as Lock in the SEC East. Vandy has NFL talent just like Missouri. Shurmur had to overcome lackluster coaching do accomplish his season though.

No team in the SEC is really devoid of talent besides Arkansas at the moment. Kyle Shurmur at Vandy but up the same numbers as Lock in the SEC East. Vandy has NFL talent just like Missouri. Shurmur had to overcome lackluster coaching do accomplish his season though.

That's right. I mean Missouri has raked in a recruiting class just outside the top 25 over the past 5 years. Average rank somewhere around the #35 class in the country over the past 5 years. Missouri ain't UL-Monroe.

Missouri had at least 3 NFL prospects starting on their offensive line last year - Paul Adams, Yasir Durant and Tre'Vour Wallace-Simms. That's both tackles and a guard.

Alabama had 4 - Jonah Williams, Ross Pierschbacher, Jedrick Willis and Alex Leatherwood. Although Leatherwood played out of position last year at RG. He's a natural left tackle.

I guess if you count late round picks and count them equal to Alabama’s line... ok.

You know very well his line was not great.

And yes... even Daniel Jeremiah in his scouting report noted several dropped balls in the tape he watched... so did I.

That's right. I mean Missouri has raked in a recruiting class just outside the top 25 over the past 5 years. Average rank somewhere around the #35 class in the country over the past 5 years. Missouri ain't UL-Monroe.

Florida State was ranked top 10 last 5 years...but you cant rightfully judge the QB and RB there the past couple seasons. You think Missouri's offensive line played decent Ted?

Florida State was ranked top 10 last 5 years...but you cant rightfully judge the QB and RB there the past couple seasons. You think Missouri's offensive line played decent Ted?

Are we really going to start making oline excuses for a QB coming out of college? One that played on an SEC team. I learned my lesson from blaming the oline the past 7 years. Florida State is an extreme example.

Yeah, they were top 8 in the country in sacks allowed (only allowed 13 sacks all season) and top 5 in TFL's allowed.

Missouri's offense was 13th in the country in total offense. You can't accomplish all this with a poor offensive line. They had a 1,200 yard back that was only a sophomore averaging 5.4 YPC and scored 11 TD's.

Nowhere near as poor as FSU's offensive line. FSU hasn't recruited offensive lineman very well. Missouri has.

I guess if you count late round picks and count them equal to Alabama’s line... ok.

You know very well his line was not great.

And yes... even Daniel Jeremiah in his scouting report noted several dropped balls in the tape he watched... so did I.

You asked how many NFL prospects were on Missouri's offensive line. I told you. His offensive line was terrific.

Furthermore, every quarterback deals with drops. None moreso than Tua against Georgia. Go find me a game where a QB had more drops on perfectly thrown passes.

What I see on tape with Lock are a lot of poorly thrown balls where the receivers are falling down just catch it. Or balls thrown behind receivers on shallow crossers. His ball placement is not good.

Yeah, they were top 8 in the country in sacks allowed (only allowed 13 sacks all season) and top 5 in TFL's allowed.

Missouri's offense was 13th in the country in total offense. You can't accomplish all this with a poor offensive line. They had a 1,200 yard back that was only a sophomore averaging 5.4 YPC and scored 11 TD's.

Nowhere near as poor as FSU's offensive line. FSU hasn't recruited offensive lineman very well. Missouri has.

Jimbo was awful at recruiting o-line and did so in boom or bust cycles...grabbing 4 or 5 guys in one cycle, then ignoring the position for the next two. It was infuriating that he would spend so much time chasing the shiny big name kid and ignoring other position groups.

There is nothing wrong with Drew Lock's performance for #1 overall pick.

63% completions, over 450 attempts, over 25 attempts per sack, over 40 attempts per interception, under 16 attempts per touchdown.
Big prototypical, quick gun, slings it, does it from the pocket, and has some athleticism.

Nothing more is required. You'll be hard pressed to find that in last 10 years of drafts. Carson Wentz wasn't as good a prospect.

Back
Top Bottom