Drew Lock Meets With Dolphins | Page 13 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drew Lock Meets With Dolphins

Dan Marino Had 59.4 pct and look how he turned out, A QB make plays when plays aren't there, we make to much noise about passing percentage, this kid has the "it factor"

What is this kids "it" factor?

I don't see it. I see a first round QB, better than Daniel Jones...but not in consideration for 1st overall pick as Murray and Haskins were/are.

What is his IQ?
Did you test him or sit him in front of a whiteboard and ask him questions?
I find it somewhat amusing how some of you make such definitive statements about people you’ve never met.
I'm not quite sure the relevance of your response to my post. I posted $$$$ as an inside joke to Nasty, what assumptions were you making when you replied? They obviously have nothing to do with what I posted. I fail to see a correlation between the two unless you are using some advanced means of communication. Attacking the wrong poster bro!

And there’s one thing a 1st round QB does, regardless of who it is: he gives us hope for a better future. Same reason we play the lottery.

I'm glad you put that out there. I've been discussing this with friends. I never brought it up here because I'm sure many would retort, "You don't draft a QB just for hope." Ok. Sure.

But what if drafting a QB is just the adrenaline shot this franchise needs? What if the very moment after one of the 3s are announced our WRs are inspired to bust their arse even harder to become the young QBs favorite target.? What if the move helps pack the stadium and we regain the advantage of the 12th man? Imagine the rookie dazzling the NFL world helping to lure free agents to a team with a bright future.

You don't draft a QB for those reasons. But there's no denying that doing so will elevate the spirit of the franchise, the fan club and, with a little luck, the players.

And, yes, the fan club includes us snobs that think we're more seasoned than the average fan. I don't care how much you dislike the 3 QBs, you know you will be very intrigued come August even if it's just to gloat that your choice was the better option. You will be waiting, watching, and if you're remotely close to being a good fan, wishing the rookie is finally the savior we've been so longingly awaiting.

Well when Dan threw for 5084 yards in 1984 he was slinging it, accuracy is relevant, but it shouldn't be the only criteria that's the reason why we never develop one, Look at Tom Brady, New England new he wasn't the best athlete or the fastest and he is average passer, but he make plays.

Experience is nice, but it doesnt make a prospect 'ready' for the NFL on its own. IMO

No... but no one is doubting Drew Lock’s readiness to enter the NFL... and like Tannehill, having only one year of experience in the case of Murray and Haskins is what it is....less experience...a lot less games played.

I honestly believe that the o line being this bad the last few years was coaching. I don’t believe for a second that we are the one team in the NFL that always finds the OL guys that cannot block. The OL will improve this year due to coaching and therefore I think a 1st round QB isn’t out of the question. And there’s one thing a 1st round QB does, regardless of who it is: he gives us hope for a better future. Same reason we play the lottery.

Yes...and it should never be out of the question when you lack an elite QB.

Amazes me how the last 18 years has taught some Dolphins fans absolutely nothing...QB is priority 1 in the NFL.

We’ve had 2 Lock hall of fame QB’s, Super Bowl winning QB’s... there at our first round pick and passed for a bust cornerback and a average running back.

I'm not quite sure the relevance of your response to my post. I posted $$$$ as an inside joke to Nasty, what assumptions were you making when you replied? They obviously have nothing to do with what I posted. I fail to see a correlation between the two unless you are using some advanced means of communication. Attacking the wrong poster bro!

My mistake. I meant to respond to the post you were responding too.

Since no one, and I mean no one, knows how any draft pick will turn out, then all you can realistically do is identify general capabilities and red flags.

Red flags should trump capabilities. When its your turn to draft, or getting close to your turn, (say three picks), then you evaluate your board (not some talking heads list) to see the best potential match between the your teams needs and the players available and make your selection. After that you will need to rely on your coaching staff to bring new players up to speed by identifying and correcting weaknesses, identifying and improving strengths. Keep in mind that there is often a need for some of the draft picks to either bulk up, trim down and develop an exercise program that addresses their new jobs requirements. They also have to learn a new system and face more effective opposition. That's a lot to do in less than a year. That's why I think a team needs to anticipate a delayed entrance onto the playing field for newly drafted players. The delay won't be the same for everybody.

Since a QB is such a key position, I feel we should be picking one at least every other year no matter how good our current QB is, and then in back to back years unless exceptional draft talent is available or there is a pressing need for a new QB.

Even then, I think you are always hurting yourself putting a rookie QB on the field for the first half of the year. Waiting a full year is better because it gives a rookie more time to develop and learn, and lets him play a complete pre-season set of reps and practice games to assure the their best chance of success.

This makes sense to me and no amount of "we need it now" arguments effectively can challenge my preface that a draftee who is properly prepared will deliver better results then a "Hail Mary" selection or immediate game insertion. I think this should be evident to most fans, even when they are impatient and want to win now.

Back
Top Bottom