Drill the QB | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drill the QB

Definitely my biggest frustration watching the D play against the Pats. Rather than seeing the player freeze and hit no one I just kept saying, "Just hit Cam as hard as you can and it will pay off at the end of the game."

exactly right, the worst thing you can do is nothing. if you are caught in the middle and your momentum is in the wrong direction then dont lay up, nail the **** out of the ****er. you let them get away to a little fake to RB and the QB keeps it, hes liable to to loft it over the DL head and throw it to said RB that he faked it to. at some point one of the two involved in the transition of the football is going to get ancy and do something stupid during the exchange

I agree - we had the opportunity to absolutely punish Cam. That would have been my focus with this Dolphin defense.
Goal one punish the QB with as many legal hits to the body as possible. And do it with my big men.....Cam wont last.....
Brady was the opposite and avoided all hits...

Miami missed an opportunity to T off on Cam in a much bigger way...

Give up the yards and make him pay!

I love this line of thinking, but in this age of protect the quarterback at all costs, the hitter better not be a second late, or else that is going to lead to a hefty 15 yard penalty. I love the line of thinking, but please be careful.
Not when the QB makes himself a runner - when the ball is gone you have to let up but as long as his hands are reaching into the RB tummy the D has to commit to one of the ball carriers

Kind of like rugby. When I played I would drill the ball carrier regardless of whether he pitched to a team mate at the beginning of the game. I found that they would pitch it sooner through the course of the game after a few of those hits.
I used to drill the scrum half every bloody time and by half way through the game he was watching me and losing interest carrying the ball

Everyone is hesitant these days to hammer the QB even when they're on the run. We've seen so many plays where the defenders goes in for the hit and gets caught mid air trying to avoid the QB when they decide to slide. If you tap the man on the head after he slides its a personal foul. I do agree taking a few shots when they pass out of the option is a good idea, even if someone like Cam would take the hit and get up smiling.

I do think the sheer quantity of option plays run by the Pats is going to be pretty unique. Allen gets most of his yards on the ground from broken plays and the coaches would much prefer to see him get his yards through the air. Murray is the same. Both teams value the preservation of their QB's health above all else and running 30 option plays is not a recipe for success on that front. In New England you have a marriage of a coach who is going to do anything to win and a QB desperate to regain relevancy.
I didn't watch the bills/JAGs game, but I read somewhere recently that there were seven called running plays for Allen before one for the RB.

Uh no. Post #5 bro. I realize there's no question mark, but when says "doesn't it", it is, in fact, a question.

Why be arguementative anyway? It wasn't even your post to which I was replying.
I'm not trying to be "arguementative," but do you know what rhetorical means?

I'm not trying to be "arguementative," but do you know what rhetorical means?
If you claim ignorance and claim you thought it wasn't a rhetorical question, then why did you answer? You hadn't posted prior to him, so you couldn't have thought he was "asking" you.

If you claim ignorance and claim you thought it wasn't a rhetorical question, then why did you answer? You hadn't posted prior to him, so you couldn't have thought he was "asking" you.
Seriously? You chime in 3 days after the exchange with this? And your not being arguementative?

You do realize, someone can be "rhetorical", and still be wrong as a matter of opinion, which is what it was.

As to posting about something that wasn't specifically directed at me, that's ludicrous. We might as well just DM each other, rather than have a forum, if you just want an echo chamber. That is unless someone just gets off on seeing thier wordz on the interwebz, what would be the point.

Let it go. It's not that big of a deal either way, is it? And yes, I'm being "rhetorical".

Have a great weekend brother.

Go Phins.......

I’m a fan of drilling the QB even if it will draw a foul. Good finishes on the QB after he releases used to be great plays but you can’t do it anymore. We see it all the time - looks like a good hit but ruled roughing. I don’t like 15 yard penalties but as long as it’s not a cheap shot I say run through the QB and if you draw the penalty so be it. Especially early in a game. Can’t let the guy think he isn’t going to be touched back there. QBs are softer than they used to be. A few good hits and they’ll start getting the ball out w sloppier mechanics and faster than they want to. Otherwise you just let them dictate the terms and they carve you up for long drives anyway. Drill away!

Back
Top Bottom