Drill the QB | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Drill the QB

This thread cracks me up because in the 1970s I was a starting DE for the Pop Warner Dania Bears. Most of the teams we played ran some form of an option offense and my only job was to get up to field quickly and force the play inside. Before one game I remember my coach pulled me aside and he told me to crush the QB on every play no matter what. I asked, "Are you sure, what about the RB?" and he said shut up and just do it.

It took me all of three plays to understand why. The QB would never pitch the ball. Every play was a five yd loss. He finally started to pitch it in the 2nd qtr. but he would pitch so early it was easy to contain. Even after he pitched the ball I would hit him as hard as I could and forty plus years later I still remember how scared he looked and how much he flinched. I don't know if this would work against NFL QBs but it was a great strategy against an eight-year old!

This thread cracks me up because in the 1970s I was a starting DE for the Pop Warner Dania Bears. Most of the teams we played ran some form of an option offense and my only job was to get up to field quickly and force the play inside. Before one game I remember my coach pulled me aside and he told me to crush the QB on every play no matter what. I asked, "Are you sure, what about the RB?" and he said shut up and just do it.

It took me all of three plays to understand why. The QB would never pitch the ball. Every play was a five yd loss. He finally started to pitch it in the 2nd qtr. but he would pitch so early it was easy to contain. Even after he pitched the ball I would hit him as hard as I could and forty plus years later I still remember how scared he looked and how much he flinched. I don't know if this would work against NFL QBs but it was a great strategy against an eight-year old!
Cam thot the refs should protect him whilst in Carolina - lol - shocker you are a ball carrier and should be treated such because you are concealing the football do keep your head up Felicia

For me the biggest point of frustration this past week was the indecisivness of our Edge/End guys. More times than not we'd see our edge player get caught in between an option read and not lay a hand on either the RB or the QB.

We're facing Josh Allen twice, Cam once more, and Kyler Murray this season and it's safe to assume the OC's for these teams will watch this tape and deploy a healthy dose of read-option plays against us.

IMO we have to set a bit of a standard to teams that want to try and run their QB against us. The way we go about it is by designating Lawson or Ogbah to focus on the QB for the first couple of option plays that get run against us. By running an option teams void the safety blanket QB's have around them in the pocket, take advantage of that, and drill them regardless of whether or not they have the ball.

It sets a precedent for teams to understand if they run this against us we're going to take the opportunity to mangle your QB.

The ideal solution would be to get better at defending it but from how absolutely lost our guys looked i don't see that happening too quickly.

I love this line of thinking, but in this age of protect the quarterback at all costs, the hitter better not be a second late, or else that is going to lead to a hefty 15 yard penalty. I love the line of thinking, but please be careful.

Best solution is as others said, don't have a 3 and out offense. The D couldn't get off the field and there were obvious communication issues. What really miffed me was one play where Cam was running towards the sideline and it looked like we weren't;t even trying to hit him. Flo I'm sure, is ripping them all apart this week. But with no DP, our D is going to need to seriously step up and slam Allen. BIG test of our D coming on Sunday.

I hear you I am referring to NE and Buffalo - Buffalo will roll on them 2x this year
[/QUOTE I dont know we will see...only team in AFC east that beat N.E is dolphins.. Bill's got show me they can beat Patriots..

Color me surprised if those two games are not snot-knockers but Allen Has a better team and each QB will try to run for 80 yards - imho Cam is a much better passer but he has fewer weapons

This is the Jills year but they better capitalize because the Dolphins are coming

@39wildman

Color me surprised if those two games are not snot-knockers but Allen Has a better team and each QB will try to run for 80 yards - imho Cam is a much better passer but he has fewer weapons

This is the Jills year but they better capitalize because the Dolphins are coming

@39wildman
I dont know if dolphins are coming or Going to be real. we look like same team last 10 to 15 yr.. Bill's are good young team.. Just got let it play out. N.E can buy time w Cam. If they want too. Still be good but not great. Jets is jets terrible franchise

Last edited:
I dont know if dolphins are coming or Going to be real we look like same team last 10 to 15 yr.. Bill's are good young team.. Just got let it play out. N.E can buy time w Cam. If they want too. Still be good but not great.
Be Freakin real

We have a QB who can read a D - do you kno how many teams rely on a one read QB with wheels??? Do count em - we actually have a future when we complement Tua with a few other cerebral players who can ball - we will be the envy of the AFCE not just this year

We will spend FA when we are close

Let the JIlls Pats be the flavour of the week - We are set up well for the long haul

Be Freakin real

We have a QB who can read a D - do you kno how many teams rely on a one read QB with wheels??? Do count em - we actually have a future when we complement Tua with a few other cerebral players who can ball - we will be the envy of the AFCE not just this year

We will spend FA when we are close

Let the JIlls Pats be the flavour of the week - We are set up well for the long haul
who is our qb that can read defense?? [Fitzpatrick[ so you guessing or u living off college football. Until Tua play. We dont know.. how good he is going be..

Last edited:
By the end of last year, the defense was making some big-time plays with a bunch of nobodies on the field. I know that the lack of a proper preseason is huge, but this year's defense has a supposed increase in talent level yet looks far worse than last year's defense. Could the problem be due to the change in Defensive Coordinator, scheme, and playcalling? I think the offense also has the same problem. Last year they had no o-line, pass-protection, or running game, yet they moved the ball and scored points. This year they have basically a whole new o-line that already looks to be an improvement, but their vanilla offense couldn't do anything. IMO, Flores might have made a big mistake by replacing both of his Coordinators.

Correct me if I'm wrong. In those RPO situations, the quarterback is viewed as a runner. In other words, the quarterback protection rules don't apply?

Back
Top Bottom