Dt Is Huge Problem | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dt Is Huge Problem

I don't know what you guys are watching, but I'm more worried about middle linebacker speed then defensive tackle. I like what I'm seeing this preseason so far as far as tackling and what upfront defense is doing against the run. Maybe we could put a little more pressure up the middle to speed up the pocket, but all the damage I'm seeing is being done on the outside not the inside.

I don't know what you guys are watching, but I'm more worried about middle linebacker speed then defensive tackle. I like what I'm seeing this preseason so far as far as tackling and what upfront defense is doing against the run. Maybe we could put a little more pressure up the middle to speed up the pocket, but all the damage I'm seeing is being done on the outside not the inside.

THANK YOU!! WTF are you guys paying attention to??? The DTs did their damn job which was hold the line. The LBs failed to hit their run fits. Kiko and Raekwon are slow to react and don't have the speed to cover fast RBs.

Reminds me a bit of when we got rid of Brandon Marshal knowing we would be left with Hartline, Bess and Gibson. Then signed that Legadu Nanee dude. Gonna be ugly.

YES exactly. The reason I was never too mad about losing Miler or A-Train. Because at lease you had a replacement.

The job of the DTs is to occupy blockers so LBers can run free. If you got DTs who are getting destroyed, your LBers can not run through the designed lanes. The backers are getting bodies on them instead of running free.

THANK YOU!! WTF are you guys paying attention to??? The DTs did their damn job which was hold the line. The LBs failed to hit their run fits. Kiko and Raekwon are slow to react and don't have the speed to cover fast RBs.
Well, the LDT tried to go outside, and the guard rode him into the end, creating a big run lane for the RB. Very bad play by that LDT unless a twist was called, in which case the LDE was responsible for filling that gap … but that does not look to be the case. So, it appears that the LDT was indeed at fault and was completely dominated 1v1 in the run game … not good.

Then on top of that, Raekwon McMillan looked like a rookie, he tried to read the play rather than instinctively reacting, and he failed to fill that hole as the RB was hitting it. In a footrace, McMillan was always losing that race, so the error was that he isn't processing the info at game speed yet … but he will get there. It's a typically rookie move, and one of the reasons Mike's tend not to start as rookies.

But the biggest problem was a very poor play by TJ McDonald. He saw what McMillan saw, had plenty of time to fill the gap, didn't adjust or play complementary football, and simply allowed the RB to reach the edge by running around him. Bad play all around, but it started with poor DT play, and got worse from there.

[BeginRant] Memorizing the playbook and doing this non-contact and half-speed walk through crap isn't the same as getting actual game reps against players and offenses you do not know. The CBA's limit on padded practices make this type of occurrence all too common. Just imagine if a tennis pro was allowed to play against a live opponent only 18 days the entire season … it would be very difficult to watch good tennis that way. There simply is no substitute for actually playing. [/EndRant]

Last edited:
The job of the DTs is to occupy blockers so LBers can run free. If you got DTs who are getting destroyed, your LBers can not run through the designed lanes. The backers are getting bodies on them instead of running free.

If you rewatch the play Akeem Spence actually does occupy TWO blockers. McMilan gets bumped off his path (need to do a better job getting there), Bobby Mccain doesnt get inside fast enough, the OLB is invisible, and TJ McDonald completely let the play blow wide open by not giving help. It's more than just the DTs....it's the whole defense as a unit. I still dont like the combo of Jones and McDonald at safety. I prefer McCain at nickel. But with no true #2 corner, and very young linebackers, as well as a defensive line that has barely played together, there will be a lot of mistakes.

For example? Those guys are not available. Suh's contract made it nearly impossible to keep him, and it wasn't working anyway. I will take the wait and see approach on the tackle situation. This is a good time to develop the young guys IMO. More concerned with the linebackers at this point.

Miami restructured Suh's contract into a nightmare $28M cap hit this year instead of a more manageable $20-odd million hit. I'd rather have Suh at $20M than Kiko and Branch together at $20M.

Well, the LDT tried to go outside, and the guard rode him into the end, creating a big run lane for the RB. Very bad play by that LDT unless a twist was called, in which case the LDE was responsible for filling that gap … but that does not look to be the case. So, it appears that the LDT was indeed at fault and was completely dominated 1v1 in the run game … not good.

Then on top of that, Raekwon McMillan looked like a rookie, he tried to read the play rather than instinctively reacting, and he failed to fill that hole as the RB was hitting it. In a footrace, McMillan was always losing that race, so the error was that he isn't processing the info at game speed yet … but he will get there. It's a typically rookie move, and one of the reasons Mike's tend not to start as rookies.

But the biggest problem was a very poor play by TJ McDonald. He saw what McMillan saw, had plenty of time to fill the gap, didn't adjust or play complementary football, and simply allowed the RB to reach the edge by running around him. Bad play all around, but it started with poor DT play, and got worse from there.

[BeginRant] Memorizing the playbook and doing this non-contact and half-speed walk through crap isn't the same as getting actual game reps against players and offenses you do not know. The CBA's limit on padded practices make this type of occurrence all too common. Just imagine if a tennis pro was allowed to play against a live opponent only 18 days the entire season … it would be very difficult to watch good tennis that way. There simply is no substitute for actually playing. [/EndRant]
Good analysis. The DT getting blown up created a massive hole. Ugly.

If you rewatch the play Akeem Spence actually does occupy TWO blockers. McMilan gets bumped off his path (need to do a better job getting there), Bobby Mccain doesnt get inside fast enough, the OLB is invisible, and TJ McDonald completely let the play blow wide open by not giving help. It's more than just the DTs....it's the whole defense as a unit. I still dont like the combo of Jones and McDonald at safety. I prefer McCain at nickel. But with no true #2 corner, and very young linebackers, as well as a defensive line that has barely played together, there will be a lot of mistakes.
I am still in shock that we are using McCain on the boundary after giving him a huge slot corner contract. Can not believe Lippett or Tankersley aren’t ready / can’t be the guy. Did not expect this.

In our scheme the DTs are normally supposed to penetrate quickly upfield to disrupt run schemes and push the pocket against passes. Sometimes that scheme gets big plus plays and sometime the DTs create nasty run lanes. We dont really protect our LBs as you'll see in a lot of schemes.

Minkah would have stopped that TD run. I hate that he is on the bench in base.

Reshad Jones could have stopped it short of the goal line if he had merely hustled throughout the play. Instead he paused and was briefly flatfooted on the other side of the field, assuming someone would make the tackle. By the time he realized it was a breakaway it was too late.

Suh's contract was manageable. Dolphins management made it unmanageable.

It's annoying hearing people talk about solid players wanting market value when the team just hands out money to underperforming players only to see that turn into dead cap early into the deal.

Once u restrucured Suh, any bafoon cutting him before the end of the deal should of been fired. What a ****ing waste of money and cap space.

Back
Top Bottom