Duke Johnson... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Duke Johnson...

...in aqua and blue?

Stats (2020):
  • CAR 77
  • YES 235
  • AVG 3.1
  • YES 1
Even though his stats are awful last year, he may just need a change of scenery. Agree?
Should we get him now that he is a FA? We can get him for dirt cheap. He was awesome when he played at UM.
Aqua and Orange? I’ve never heard Aqua and Blue...

I hate seeing the reality, but RBs are truly a 1 contract position now.

If you want to take a swing at an elite caliber talent, do it in the draft. Otherwise, go to the scratch and dent bin and find a 1 year plug.

Teams with a high payed RB are hamstrung. I've said before, basing your offense around an elite RB is exciting until he gets injured. There are simply not enough in the league to have backups capable of replacing them. Long gone are the days you can find a 3 down back stashed on a team's depth chart waiting his turn.

RBBC is not just the current fashion because of high powered passing attacks, the entire league has begun adapting a "replaceable" philosophy at nearly every position. Schemes and coordinators are just as important as the QB now. All other positions are viewed as plug and play.

Honestly, most teams shy away from elite players with big pay days for a philosophy of cheaper players that can be replaced if injured.

In time, the QB position will be approached in this fashion once an team concept is devised that can compensate in the same manner.

Owners and HCs despise players that attempt to take an organization hostage. When done enough, they adapt to schemes and organizations philosophies that prevent players from determining the organization's direction. It is a market correction to rising labor costs.

Owners are not going to invest billions to have a single player decide their investment's fortunes.

When too many players attempt a power grab, owners respond to protect their investment.

Aside from QB, name one position that a single player cannot be replaced and a level of consistency can't be found that allows a team to win the SB? Everyone is replaceable... and thus the RBBC mentality was formed to address the problem of depending on RBs to succeed.

I doubt he would even be an upgrade over Ahmed. These days, there are backs all over who are at Duke’s level. He’s a just a guy at a position where gobs of “guys” come out of the draft every year. Teach your kids to play corner, not running back.

I have said it before, and I will say it again...Don't sleep or underestimate Gerrid Doaks as our eventual grind it out powerback.

May not happening right away, but by mid-season I would not be surprised if he did not start getting more and more chances to show what he can do.
That's my hope as well. Bringing in a vet could block a young player's path. That said, on paper the running back group isn't great.

Of course, that could change if Gaskin can stay healthy and someone like Doaks can emerge.

...in aqua and blue?

Stats (2020):
  • CAR 77
  • YES 235
  • AVG 3.1
  • YES 1
Even though his stats are awful last year, he may just need a change of scenery. Agree?
Should we get him now that he is a FA? We can get him for dirt cheap. He was awesome when he played at UM.
He is a little RB....I don't recall him being more than a receiving RB.

That's my hope as well. Bringing in a vet could block a young player's path. That said, on paper the running back group isn't great.

Of course, that could change if Gaskin can stay healthy and someone like Doaks can emerge.
You guys hoping doaks can emerge reminds me of the days when finheaven was hoping Dallas Thomas , Jonathan Martin , Daniel Thomas, Charles Harris etc would emerge. I just don’t see or expect much from a seventh round pick, I hope I’m wrong. 🤔

You guys hoping doaks can emerge reminds me of the days when finheaven was hoping Dallas Thomas , Jonathan Martin , Daniel Thomas, Charles Harris etc would emerge. I just don’t see or expect much from a seventh round pick, I hope I’m wrong. 🤔
So my hoping he emerges is different then your hope that he doesn't doesn't emerge?

Miami signing Duke Johnson would be a rumerror.

Signing Johnson would be an option. My top 3 rb options would be Bell, trading for or signing Sony Michel when or if he's released, of doing the same with Royce Freeman from the Broncos. Denver will likely trade him for a late pick or release unless they sustain rb injuries in training camp. I really wouldn't be shocked if the plan is to just carry 3 rostered runningbacks and then have a couple on the ps. I think that could be the plan for Doaks.

Both of our backs averaged 4.1 and 4 YPC with our struggling passing game which allows teams to crowd the box.

Bell, couldn't muster over 4 YPC with near vacant box. I do not want Bell.

A big "NO" for Duke. 3.1 YPC is really really bad.
But di defenses ever really crowd the box to stop Miami's running game? Seems like they could do that most of the time without putting 8 in the box.

Rather sign Don Johnson!

miami vice deal with it GIF

Signing Johnson would be an option. My top 3 rb options would be Bell, trading for or signing Sony Michel when or if he's released, of doing the same with Royce Freeman from the Broncos. Denver will likely trade him for a late pick or release unless they sustain rb injuries in training camp. I really wouldn't be shocked if the plan is to just carry 3 rostered runningbacks and then have a couple on the ps. I think that could be the plan for Doaks.

But di defenses ever really crowd the box to stop Miami's running game? Seems like they could do that most of the time without putting 8 in the box.
Why wouldn't they be close up on the line? We had no deep threat.

Gaskin finished 11th in the NFL in yards from scrimmage per game (97.2), besting a group that includes Kansas City Chiefs receiver Tyreek Hill and tight end Travis Kelce, Dallas Cowboys running back Ezekiel Elliott and Buffalo Bills wide receiver Stefon Diggs.

Honestly would rather stick it out with our RB room than bring in more FA's. Hopefully the OL improves this year with the new signings. If we see improved OL play and little gained from our RB room, I would like to see a premium RB drafted.
If our WR room lives up to expectations, our RB room only has to be average or slightly above to keep the chains moving. I honestly don't think we'll need an elite back or even a a great player running the rock. We're not going to give defenses the easy choice of crowding the box, they are going to have to respect our WR's and passing game...

Back
Top Bottom