Duke Johnson... | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Duke Johnson...

Why wouldn't they be close up on the line? We had no deep threat.
But we really didn't have a running game that warranted extra attention either. Seemed like most of the time defenses could play Miami straight up without crowding the box or worrying about the deep pass. It seems like if they did play 8 in box against Miami they would run the risk of creating holes in the pass defense that they could have easily avoided.

I have said it before, and I will say it again...Don't sleep or underestimate Gerrid Doaks as our eventual grind it out powerback.

May not happening right away, but by mid-season I would not be surprised if he did not start getting more and more chances to show what he can do.

The biggest concern I have about Doaks is that there simply isn't all that much film on him. He was used very sparingly at Cincy.

You all are sleeping on Malcom Brown so bad...... he can play

But we really didn't have a running game that warranted extra attention either. Seemed like most of the time defenses could play Miami straight up without crowding the box or worrying about the deep pass. It seems like if they did play 8 in box against Miami they would run the risk of creating holes in the pass defense that they could have easily avoided.
Let me try and explain it another way. It's easier to run the ball when you can pass well. Why? I'm glad you asked; when you can pass well it forces the defense to play off the line to avoid being burned. It also forces the defense in more nickel and deeper safety schemes.

When you aren't passing effectively the defense isn't pushed up to intentionally stop the run. They are pushed because they don't respect your receiving core and never feel the need to scheme it. So, by not fearing a teams passing games allows defenses to sit in the box especially if you are dumping small crossing routes a lot.
They aren't stacking the box because they fear the run. They are stacking the box because, why not? It allows them to scheme both at once and makes everyone on defenses' life easier.

The biggest concern I have about Doaks is that there simply isn't all that much film on him. He was used very sparingly at Cincy.
True, it's not a given, but the chances he did get, he did very with.

Also in our offense he will not need to be a grind it out 20 to 25 touches a game type superstar back to be successful, just needs to more consistently then not at worst get positive yardage, be able to catch the ball out of the back field effectively, and block...he does those three things, and he will be effective for Miami.

You guys hoping doaks can emerge reminds me of the days when finheaven was hoping Dallas Thomas , Jonathan Martin , Daniel Thomas, Charles Harris etc would emerge. I just don’t see or expect much from a seventh round pick, I hope I’m wrong. 🤔
Fair point. I didn't expect much from Gaskin either, but Grier got that one right.

All you really have with those late rounders is hope.

But, I wouldn't be surprised if Miami brought in a veteran. My choice would be Adrian Peterson.

Last edited:
I have watched several videos from last season and this offseason where Coach Flo mentioning that teams were loading the box or they wouldn't be able to load the box anymore. From hearing him mention it several times, I tend to believe him.

You all are sleeping on Malcom Brown so bad...... he can play
I hope you are right but I remember several posters last year claiming that Jordan Howard was a great signing. I have always had concerns with signing free agent RB’s. Very seldom do FA RB’s come in and add much to the running game but hopefully Brown will turn out to be the exception instead of the rule.

I think they wanna seewhatwe have. Gurley is always out there along with AP. Both offer more from a rushing perspective then Duke

I think they wanna seewhatwe have. Gurley is always out there along with AP. Both offer more from a rushing perspective then Duke
I would like to add either AP or Gurley as well.

Let me try and explain it another way. It's easier to run the ball when you can pass well. Why? I'm glad you asked; when you can pass well it forces the defense to play off the line to avoid being burned. It also forces the defense in more nickel and deeper safety schemes.

When you aren't passing effectively the defense isn't pushed up to intentionally stop the run. They are pushed because they don't respect your receiving core and never feel the need to scheme it. So, by not fearing a teams passing games allows defenses to sit in the box especially if you are dumping small crossing routes a lot.
They aren't stacking the box because they fear the run. They are stacking the box because, why not? It allows them to scheme both at once and makes everyone on defenses' life easier.
For sure.

and once we have that feared passing attack, im all for the luxury of a beast rb. But im learning to be okay with what we have now. Gaskin, Brown, and Ahmed could be okay with better OL play

Are we honestly writing off Doaks before a single snap? And what about Brown? We really are set at RB.
Don't write him off yet, but you shouldn't write him in as a 53 man roster player yet either. Too much unknown. I think he has a shot at earning the job, but winning it should be a 50/50 toss up. I wouldn't be shocked if Miami kept Doaks on the ps this season, but still activated him on some game days if there's injuries at the position.

Back
Top Bottom