Duke Johnson... | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Duke Johnson...

Don't write him off yet, but you shouldn't write him in as a 53 man roster player yet either. Too much unknown. I think he has a shot at earning the job, but winning it should be a 50/50 toss up. I wouldn't be shocked if Miami kept Doaks on the ps this season, but still activated him on some game days if there's injuries at the position.
If Doaks isn't on our roster and getting carries I'll be seriously pissed off.

Let me try and explain it another way. It's easier to run the ball when you can pass well. Why? I'm glad you asked; when you can pass well it forces the defense to play off the line to avoid being burned. It also forces the defense in more nickel and deeper safety schemes.

When you aren't passing effectively the defense isn't pushed up to intentionally stop the run. They are pushed because they don't respect your receiving core and never feel the need to scheme it. So, by not fearing a teams passing games allows defenses to sit in the box especially if you are dumping small crossing routes a lot.
They aren't stacking the box because they fear the run. They are stacking the box because, why not? It allows them to scheme both at once and makes everyone on defenses' life easier.
To elaborate on that, the simple fact that teams could play either single high, or both safeties closer to the LOS, allowed everything to be "packed" tighter.

There was little fear of being beaten deep, so yes you are correct. It wasn't a matter of teams stacking the box to stop the run. There was just no reason for them to do otherwise.

If Doaks isn't on our roster and getting carries I'll be seriously pissed off.
At who?

The coaching staff for concluding he isn't ready?

At Grier for "wasting" a rd7 pick?

The guys that showed more in camp?

At Doaks?

Not sure I understand........

You guys hoping doaks can emerge reminds me of the days when finheaven was hoping Dallas Thomas , Jonathan Martin , Daniel Thomas, Charles Harris etc would emerge. I just don’t see or expect much from a seventh round pick, I hope I’m wrong. 🤔
Hoping and depending are two different things.

If he isn’t any good, I won't be surprised. But at this point, I'd be equally surprised if Duke Johnson was any good next season.

Until there is a RB on the market that has the potential to be anything more than marginally better than any one of Gaskin/Brown/Ahmed, we are wasting our time talking about the Duke's and Le'veon's of the world.

At who?

The coaching staff for concluding he isn't ready?

At Grier for "wasting" a rd7 pick?

The guys that showed more in camp?

At Doaks?

Not sure I understand........
For wasting drafting picks.
This is neither here nor there Doaks will be in the team. So this is moot.

Meh, to me a 7th rounder is a dart throw in the dark. The guys that don't make it far outnumber those who do.
The draft used to be something absurd like 20 rounds and 7th round picks weren't viewed as "who cares".
Funny how that works.

I still believe 7th rounders should make the team. If they don't they need to analyze talent better. Again, strictly my opinion.

The draft used to be something absurd like 20 rounds and 7th round picks weren't viewed as "who cares".
Funny how that works.
It was absurd, even then, but things have changed quite a bit since those days.

In thise days, scouting departments were not run the same way. Metrics, and analytics were barely even concepts. High quality game film of every conceivable player was not available at an evaluators finger tips (litterally).

I understand what you are saying, but rd6 and 7 selections aren't valued very highly, and beating up a GM for "missing" with one doesn't make much sense, given the percentage of those guys who never become successful NFL players.

Funny how that works.
They also used to wear leather helmets. Times change. Only 50-60% of 7th round picks even make it on the team to begin with.

Here is a chart showing the percentage of 7th round players that started 4 or more years since 2000.

20210608_102127.jpg

That means roughly two 4 year starters will be picked in the entire 7th round this year.

And for comparison, the percentages for all day 3 picks are...

20210608_102958.jpg

I'm not advocating wasting or throwing away 7th round picks. Even if they aren't starters, good depth players can be found too. But being upset one doesn't work out is a bit silly.

Last edited:
What?

I'm not following the logic there.

Please elaborate.
7rds of 32 teams = 224p

20rds of 14 teams = 280player

I neither support nor deny any theory in this conversation, simply explaining the question you’re asking (I just grabbed random numbers, not sure how many teams or rounds used to be).

7rds of 32 teams = 224p

20rds of 14 teams = 280player

I neither support nor deny any theory in this conversation, simply explaining the question you’re asking (I just grabbed random numbers, not sure how many teams or rounds used to be).
I see what you are saying.

I was looking at it from the perspective that the fact that the vast majority had zero shot at making a roster was magnified even moreso in those days.

Back
Top Bottom