Duper And Clayton Will Eventually....and more | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Duper And Clayton Will Eventually....and more

DIRTYCASHHOLDIN

Practice Squad
Reaction score
Duper And Clayton Will Eventually....

Hello to ALL..... I have been in New York for the past week....I definately missed out on the last Quarterback School...but I do plan on attending the next one.

Just some random thoughts:

I know for a fact that there is going to be some time being passed....how many years....I cannot say for sure....but there is no question that there is some major blackballing going on when it comes to the selection committe for not letting either of the MARKS BROTHERS....CLAYTON OR DUPER...up there in the PPS HONOR ROLL. I talked to ALEX MARVEZ today about this....and he said that he had heard that both will eventually be given their due. However...they will simply have to wait...possibly for another couple of years. The reason is simply because of their off the field antics. DUPER had some serious cocaine problems....and CLAYTON had some alimony problems....plus he had some real run-ins with DOlphin management over money....and he also had some battles with one of the strongest influences in the Dolphin's upper board room meetings.....DON SHULA.
These guys will get their day at the HONOR ROLL.....the Dolphins just are making these guys wait it out....and they also want to see if both can remain out of any domestic problems. So far....both men have seemingly gotten some control over their lives. DUPER did get a coaching job...on the high school level...and CLAYTON still lives down here...and is doing something with former Dolphin LIFFORT HOBLEY....they do promotions for clubs....and charities...and more importantly...get other former Dolphin players involved with what they are doing.
Like I said everyone....its all stuffy-bank type of conservatism politics....when it comes down to inducting CLAYTON AND DUPER up there.....but even DAN MARINO will tell anyone today....that both those guys...probably meant more to him....than anyone who ever had the opportunity to play alongside him. The MARKS brothers were simply...as TYSON would say.....prolific and magnificent in their primes. The two were one of the greatest WR tandems in the history of the NFL....and if you really look at their statistics.....you really can see just how great these two guys were. Just look at the drop-off in talent....at the WR position...when both of these guys were gone....it just shows how great the two players actually were. I thought that CLAYTON"s carreer was a tad better than DUPER's....and his stats....if you look at them....are definately worth a look-see if you are a member of the NFL HALL-OF FAME Commitee...much less the Honor Roll. CLAYTOn;s stats in the 1980s...were just about on par with JERRY RICE. He was the second best WR in football at that time....with DUPER nonetheless.....within the top 10 at that time.
The MARKS brothers were awesome in the MARINO early years....and they were just as important as MARINO was....when it came down to all of those MARINO records....that just cannot be overlooked. They both deserve to be up on the HONOR ROLL....and that is BECAUSE WHAT THEY DID AS A MEMBER OF THE MIAMI DOIPHINS.... unfortunately they are being penalized right now...for antics out of a Dolphins uniform.

Back to the Future.....lets talk about ROB BURNETT. What a surprise... they signed him. The problem all along is that BURNETT wanted incentive, sack-clauses in the deal....and his agent wanted at least a two year deal. Look for BURNETT to get around an 850,000 base...with some incentives that he can acheieve over 1 million a year. The Dolphins will use BURNETT in the same mold as they once did TRACE ARMSTRONG....he will be in there on passing downs...third down. I personally like the move....I told you guys to go back and watch the super bowl game against the Giants....where BURNETT was very impressive. If this guy is healthy....he can still play. The Dolphins really set out to get this guy....and he was the better choice...economically speaking....when you talk about what MARCO COLEMAN was asking....about 1.5 million. Its a nice, veteran, solid addition....anyway you look at it. Now...there really is good depth on that line....and somebody is definately out of a job also now....one of the backups.

Great surpise of last camp was JAMAR FLETCHER...which was great news. He has been elevated now....ahead of RAY GREEN...and is really coming on now. The mental mistakes and technique failures that MEL PHILLIPS was worried about....has really improved. I think this is great news....he made the most plays in the secondadary last camp.

Lets talk about JEFF OGDEN. You have to give him some credit. He is playing his ass off this camp. He is making diving catches...and is as active as any player out there. It appears that NORV TURNER loves this kid....and I will have to admit now.....that he could be a mortal lock to make the team...because he is the main reason why the Dolphins have not gone out to get another WR at this time. The DOlphins are very content right now with their WR's.... that is why a guy like MICHAEL WESTBROOK...who is begging to play down here right now...cannot find anyone to listen to his inquires...including NORV...who really likes WESTBROOK....but for whatever reason....I have heard that it is RICK SPIELMAN who does not like WESTBROOK. As you saw.....the Dolphins just passed on Mccardell and Alexander....and have not even entertained FREEMAN or anyone for that matter. Believe it or not.....JEFF OGDEN has something to do with this. He is having a great off-season....he is the final WR on this active roster at this point....but that can change. The Dolphins are also very impressed with SAM SIMMONS and the retread....ROBERT BAKER. These guys are the reason why the Dolphins have been very lax in the WR FA department. All 3 of these guys have impressed.

DT LARRY CHESTER made an impression his first day out there......as I heard he could not be moved backwards. The guy is a rock of gibralter.....and between he and BOWENS....they should make a hell of tag-team...and nickname maybe too? Do you guys remember the WWF tagteam of TYPHOON and EARTHQUAKE?

I feel for OJ MCDUFFIE.....but there is no way in hell that he wins this law-suit. There is no such precedents in the NFL...and if Mcduffie would prevail in this case.....it would open up a PANDORa's BOX of opportuinity for any former player to sue their former team physicians. OJ is sueing Dr. URIBE in particular.....who is a very noted and prominent orthopedic surgeon. The case is just too hard to prove....negligence wise....on a team of doctor's who have given their best, and most honest opinion on so many players....for so many years. Yes...each player's injury is a different case...but this is really a case of bitterness on OJ;s part. The Dolphins were very good to OJ....and gave him the big contract....and kept him on the sidelines...when most injured players were just sent home for the rest of the season. He was very popular in the locker room...and respected by all. Its really just a shame that it had to come down to this....a public law-suit....that many people...the NFL...and former players...cut short by injury....are watching.
Like I said....I can't see OJ winning this suit...and I wish he had just gone away and reitired quietly. If he would have just walked away.....I think the Dolphins would have one day put his name up there....on the HONOR ROLL.....but you can forget about that now....right?

And finally....how about ALONZO MAYES.....he is hurt again. I can tell you this.....I have heard that STU WEINSTEIN...the Dolphins investigator.....is looking into how MAYES hurt himself. The Dolphins management knows that he was playing in many basketball pick-up games....this off-season...at a local health club/gym....right near camp. Mayes is denying he was hurt playing basketball. Its the old....I got hurt stepping out of the shower tiles...story. Regardless....MAYES is back in the doghouse. I have heard one more setback....that is it. They have done just about everything to motivate this guy.... WEAVER is now back ahead of MAYES.

And if you were wondering if CADE Mcnown looked any better last camp......the answer is NO. Its still DUCK SEASON....according to MARVEZ. LEVCIK has the edge right now....there is no doubt. CADE has to turn it on when the pads come on....or he will be gone. LEVCIK has a cannon arm....but the Dolphins are worried about his movement in the pocket.

DCH

Pretty bad when a former first round pick like Cade McNown is being beaten by an undrafted first year guy like Tim Levcik.

I'm also personally disappointed that the Dolphins are holding off on other WRs because of JEFF OGDEN, if indeed thats true...cuz lemme tell ya, I'm not very impressed with Ogden's talent level.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
Pretty bad when a former first round pick like Cade McNown is being beaten by an undrafted first year guy like Tim Levcik.

I'm also personally disappointed that the Dolphins are holding off on other WRs because of JEFF OGDEN, if indeed thats true...cuz lemme tell ya, I'm not very impressed with Ogden's talent level.

True...pretty bad that McNown is getting beat by Levick... but does it really surprise anyone? or disapoint anyone? Not me, that's for sure...

My personal take on Ogden is right there with parrothead's... JEFF OGDEN = Dead Weight. He can work as hard as he wants, he's still just taking up roster space.... I'd rather see them give Simmons or Baker the chance.

The way I understand it, if Cade is in pads at Dolphins' TC, then that 7th round pick we gave up for him, becomes a sixth rounder. Is it worth it to take him to camp?

oh BTW, thanks for my fix, DCH, I needed it bad.

Last edited:
Did we sign Burnett? This hasn't been reported yet. Really lends to DCH's credibility as a inside guy if it's true.

I'm hoping Simmons or Baker move ahead of odgen during traning camp.Playing as 5th Wr he didn't look that bad but I don't understand why he is consider a dangerous Punt returner.He had one lucky TD return and from what I saw from "Fair Cath" Odgen were too many fumbles last seasons.We got rid of Ben Kelly for same reason why don't they get rid of Odgen?

My takes

I don't think it's a bad thing that McNown is getting beat by Levcik. McNown sucks!! If McNown was winning the battle, then that would mean that the other QBs in camp were really, really bad.

Also, I read in Florida Today where Wanny was quoted as saying that a decision on the 3rd QB will be made BEFORE training camp.

"Let's be honest," Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said. "We're not going to be able to go into training camp and be able to work five quarterbacks. We know that.

"Jay and Ray are going to get most of the work. We're going to make a determination between now and when camp starts as to who we think that third guy is."

As for Ogden, I'm glad to hear he is doing well. I'm sorry fellas, but I just can't be p*ssed off when I hear about a Dolphin who's low on the depth chart improving his level of play. Sometimes it takes a few years for a guy to develop fully (Phil Simms was pretty awful until his 5th season....and he still threw INTs). Some of you guys are hung up on Simmons and Baker simply because they are "new blood". For God's sake, you guys haven't even seen what DCH is talking about. If Ogden beats them out fair and square, that's a GOOD THING.

And finally, Burnett is signing a 2-year deal. Press conference at 1 pm today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks DCH for your report..I wandered why we didn't look at another Vet WR..but I, like so many others, hope that baker makes it. I think he was a good punt returner before he got hurt..really haven't done a lot in that department since...but I hope the dolphins put him back there again..His first rookie camp with the dolphins he was sensational before he got injuried. I think Burnett will do well as a pass rusher, much like trace...without the added minutes of every down, he should be fresh and ready...if he doesn't do good, he's gone next year. I'm still shaking my head when it comes to Mayes....I've said this in other posts, if this guy got hurt playing basketball, he's the stupidest person I known of. Just plain hard headed and dump. But after reading your mulings DCH,,I feel good about our WR's and these are the back ups..if the starters come back and improved from last year..Boy oh boy--look out .

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: My takes

Originally posted by Muck
I don't think it's a bad thing that McNown is getting beat by Levcik. McNown sucks!! If McNown was winning the battle, then that would mean that the other QBs in camp were really, really bad.

Also, I read in Florida Today where Wanny was quoted as saying that a decision on the 3rd QB will be made BEFORE training camp.

"Let's be honest," Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said. "We're not going to be able to go into training camp and be able to work five quarterbacks. We know that.

"Jay and Ray are going to get most of the work. We're going to make a determination between now and when camp starts as to who we think that third guy is."

As for Ogden, I'm glad to hear he is doing well. I'm sorry fellas, but I just can't be p*ssed off when I hear about a Dolphin who's low on the depth chart improving his level of play. Sometimes it takes a few years for a guy to develop fully (Phil Simms was pretty awful until his 5th season....and he still threw INTs). Some of you guys are hung up on Simmons and Baker simply because they are "new blood". For God's sake, you guys haven't even seen what DCH is talking about. If Ogden beats them out fair and square, that's a GOOD THING.

And finally, Burnett is signing a 2-year deal. Press conference at 1 pm today.

Thanks muck, now that you put that quote up, I remember Wanny saying that.
That statement says he is well aware of what it will cost to take McNown to camp.

Originally posted by Sherif
Did we sign Burnett? This hasn't been reported yet. Really lends to DCH's credibility as a inside guy if it's true.

How do you like him now!
I was skeptical when DCH first started coming around here with his "fact" filled posts......

.... now I just listen.:cool:

DCH is the man! You should know that by now. DCH has been doing this for 4 years and is way too overly accurate :)

not a shot at dch but i saw ozzy post something that it was in/on 2 nfl related shows (radio?)

to dch, guess oj will be glad you aren't on the jury if it gets that far?
precedent? would settlements after cases are filed qualify?
if so then it has happened out of court before in the nfl.

The obvious bias against OJ could also be further proof of his insider status.;)

Originally posted by inFINSible
The obvious bias against OJ could also be further proof of his insider status.;)
bias :confused: it is just logic - that awarding OJ damages would make it impossible for a team to allow a player to play w/an injury which would mean that the NFL would to expand their rosters to 100 guys.

That doesn't have anything to do with whether OJ deserves the money or not....if they gave him bad advice then they gave him bad advice....it doesn't matter how many others they gave the proper advice to......and it doesn't seem as if DCH sees it that way, which is why I joked about him being biased. Certainly a Dolphin insider would side with the team..right?.....that was my point. :p

....and as far as being impossible, that's not true, it would just be alot more paper work.....;)

Lawyers cause paperwork.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom