Dwayne Allen Signing Not A Good Sign For Dolphins Chris Grier | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dwayne Allen Signing Not A Good Sign For Dolphins Chris Grier

Gotta say that was one of the worst opinion pieces that I've ever seen.

Many TEs take a year or two to start producing... like most of them. So bringing in a solid vet to tutor them and help carry the blocking load was a VERY astute move.

Do we know that Grier wanted Gesicki? Maybe he preferred Goedert. I'm not trying to defend him, just want to know if we're sure Gesicki and Smythe were his picks.

So by this same logic, New England signing Dwayne Allen was a bad look for Gronkowski?

Way to early to throw in the towel on Smythe and Gesicki but it was clear the TE bunch was in disarray last season but I have a suspicion that had a lot to with Gase also. Yeah our TEs needed to be better but Gase did little to help them out in the game plan. The whole unit combine had 338 yards......that puts them right between Dallas Goedert and Ricky Seals-Jones.

I have a hard time believing you can't get one of those guys 300+ yards over the season. Signing Allen will help bring some stability to the unit and hopefully Smythe and/or Gesicki step it up, last thing Miami needs is another Egnew.

Drafting dudes for Gase doesnt make Grier a bad GM.

Signing a great blocking TE doesnt make Grier a bad GM.

Terrible article

The Jeff Ireland defense.

While way too early to tell at this time, it looks like Grier absolutely whiffed on a second round pick. Something that isn't too uncommon over the last 20 years.

Gotta say that was one of the worst opinion pieces that I've ever seen.

Many TEs take a year or two to start producing... like most of them. So bringing in a solid vet to tutor them and help carry the blocking load was a VERY astute move.

this. dumb article

The Jeff Ireland defense.

While way too early to tell at this time, it looks like Grier absolutely whiffed on a second round pick. Something that isn't too uncommon over the last 20 years.

Nobody knows if he whiffed on anything when the guru HC had him block more than any TE in the NFL while his strength is running up the seam.

Trying to use Gelsicke like they used the late Hernandez up in NE. Who would have figured that?
I thought that's why Gase wanted Gesicki. To have that TE they could flex out in one-on-one situation and win those 50/50 balls.

I thought that's why Gase wanted Gesicki. To have that TE they could flex out in one-on-one situation and win those 50/50 balls.

I know @Digital is complimentary of Gase for trying to teach Gesicki so much of the blocking stuff. I get it and can see the logic behind that. But the guy is a pass catching receiver that has more than enough talent to beat most LBs, and some DBs in this league. Anyway because of his first year of experience and with the new coaching staff I fully expect him to look improved from last season and will continue to get better. My understanding is the kid going from HS to Penn has displayed nothing but a strong work ethic to get better at his craft. I believe this will continue and translate in his 2nd year.

I've been in favor of adding Dwayne Allen with a reasonable contract since day 1. Rebuilding with youth requires veterans to help the youngsters learn how to do things the right way. Someone like Allen provides that work ethic, role model and locker room leadership needed, and for a role-player salary. I'm much happier adding Dwayne Allen type FA's than Trey Flowers type FA's who will be cut before their mega-deal is completed or we even achieve the full rebuild.

If Mike Gesicki develops into a reasonable blocker to go along with becoming an excellent receiver … I just hope his coach's initial focus on becoming a well-rounded TE is remembered. Somehow, I strongly doubt it ever will be.

[insert snarky reply here about how you believe he will never become a well-rounded TE, because please, it is sooooooo original]

f
I know @Digital is complimentary of Gase for trying to teach Gesicki so much of the blocking stuff. I get it and can see the logic behind that. But the guy is a pass catching receiver that has more than enough talent to beat most LBs, and some DBs in this league. Anyway because of his first year of experience and with the new coaching staff I fully expect him to look improved from last season and will continue to get better. My understanding is the kid going from HS to Penn has displayed nothing but a strong work ethic to get better at his craft. I believe this will continue and translate in his 2nd year.
I was too and I understood why Gase wanted Gesicki to stay in a block. In doing so Gase took away from what Gesicki did best. On those 3rd and short to medium situations, Gesicki could have flexed out and the last moment and have one-on-one situations with either a LB or DB and at 6-6 with a 41" vertical, he could have converted a few of those jump balls to keep drives alive.

Back
Top Bottom