Dynasties... How many were there? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Dynasties... How many were there?

realize this is a bit of a thread necro, but i thought it was a cool topic, so, my 2 cents.....

the definitive list (as far as I can tell) of teams who have made it to 3 Super Bowls in any given ten year span:

Buffalo Bills XXV, XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII

Dallas Cowboys (Twice) V, VI, X, XII, XIII;XXVII, XXVIII, XXX

Denver Broncos (Twice) XXI, XXII, XXIV, XXXII, XXXIII;

Miami Dolphins VI, VII, VIII

Minnesota Vikings IV, VIII, IX, XI,

New England Patriots XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLII, XLVI

Pittsburgh Steelers (Twice) IX, X, XIII, XIV; XL, XLIII, XLV

San Francisco 49ers XVI, XIX, XXIII, XXIV

Washington Redskins XVII, XVIII, XXII, XXVI,

Obviously, not all of these teams are considered dynastys. For me the dynasty's in the NFL have been the following teams:

Pittsburgh Steelers 70's
San Francisco 49ers 80's
Dallas Cowboys 90's
New England Patriots 00's

I wouldn't consider the Bills a dynasty....coming close doesn't make you a dynasty. I doubt any team will ever again go to four straight SB's, but they lost each time they got to the Big Game. I was born in 1966, same year the Superbowl started and to me the dynasties have been -

1960's - Green Bay
1970's - Miami, Pittsburgh
1980's - 49ers
1990's - Cowboys
2000's - New England

I wouldn't consider the Bills a dynasty....coming close doesn't make you a dynasty. I doubt any team will ever again go to four straight SB's, but they lost each time they got to the Big Game. I was born in 1966, same year the Superbowl started and to me the dynasties have been -

1960's - Green Bay
1970's - Miami, Pittsburgh
1980's - 49ers
1990's - Cowboys
2000's - New England

What Miami did was great but how do you have co-dynasties when one won 4 SBs and the other 2? The dynasty of the 70s was Pittsburgh w/o a doubt- it's not really debateable.

I don't know I mean is a dynasty a decade?

Why can't there be two (or three) dynasty's in a decade?

Why cant the Steelers encompass 74-80 but the Dolphins encompass 70-74? The Dolphins 3 straight Super Bowl appearances had never been done and their win loss record at that time was unreal. Let alone the talent level of the 72 and 73 teams. Griese, Langer, Csonka, Morris, Kiick, Warfield, Little, Anderson, Scott, Buoniconti, Fernandez - THOSE were great teams, and as great as any other dynastic team.

Granted I'd say yeah absolutely the Steelers WERE the team of the 70's, and infact the Dolphins probably ranked behind the Cowboys in that category also (5 SB appearances).

Well, I thank the WFL for Miami not doing more in the 70's, after losing Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield to the Memphis Southmen. I watch the 1974 "sea of hands" game but try to blank it from my mind. Especially after Oakland only manged 29 rushing yards against the Steelers. I really would have liked to seen the Steelers limit Csonka, Kick and Morris to 29 yards.

Well, I thank the WFL for Miami not doing more in the 70's, after losing Csonka, Kiick, and Warfield to the Memphis Southmen. I watch the 1974 "sea of hands" game but try to blank it from my mind.

A very good point Robert. The Dolphins who won the '73 Superbowl were relatively young. Had the WFL not come along and offered our stars money they could not refuse, we may have gone to and won a few more Superbowls with that dynasty.

Back
Top Bottom