Eagles Qbs | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eagles Qbs

Back injuries are rough and this is what worries me about Wentz.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Carson Wentz Injury Update: Eagles QB out with back injury, Philly should shut him down for season

Wentz has a long history of battling injuries in his short career. There was the torn ACL Wentz suffered last year (against the Rams in Los Angeles, actually). Wentz suffered broken ribs in his first game in the NFL. He dealt with a fractured wrist in college. And according to Les Bowen of the Philadelphia Inquirer, Wentz' medical report at the combine in 2016 referred to a healed stress fracture that Wentz battled while playing for North Dakota State.

Pederson was a bit touchy and evasive about the situation on Friday when asked about Wentz' status -- the quarterback was listed as questionable on the Eagles Friday injury report before being downgraded to out on Saturday.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...njury-philly-should-shut-him-down-for-season/

Wentz ruffling some of his teammates feathers???

Eagles QB Carson Wentz says he could have been better teammate

PHILADELPHIA -- Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz refuted multiple details in a story critical of him published last month by Philly Voice but did not dismiss the story outright, acknowledging that he could have been a better teammate as he navigated a trying year professionally.

Wentz was described as "egotistical," "selfish" and "uncompromising" in the story, which cited more than a half-dozen players and other sources, all of whom were quoted anonymously. He was accused of playing favorites and resisting certain concepts because he viewed them as "[Nick] Foles stuff."

Wentz said he was caught off guard by the report.

"It kind of came out of nowhere," he said. "I was literally eating breakfast with my wife, and [a member of the Eagles media relations staff] texted me. Literally, we do, like, quiet time in the morning. We eat breakfast and then I go sit on the couch. So I'm about to go read my Bible and then I get that text and now I'm reading this."

Wentz said he didn't really sense the friction internally described in the piece, but he didn't dismiss the notion out of hand.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25914549/eagles-qb-carson-wentz-says-been-better-teammate

Nick Foles tells Eagles he's opting out, paving way for franchise tag

PHILADELPHIA -- Quarterback Nick Foles has informed the Eagles he is voiding his $20 million option for 2019, after the team notified him it would be picking up the option, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

Foles must pay the Eagles $2 million to opt out.

The move paves the way for the Eagles to place the franchise tag on Foles. They are expected to do so in an effort to then try to trade him, sources from other NFL teams who have been in touch with Philadelphia previously told Schefter.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25933365/qb-nick-foles-opts-philadelphia-eagles-pick-option

That's a pretty shitty move by the Eagles.

Anyway none of this is relevant as Foles isn't coming to Miami because of the cost involved.

How is wanting compensation for a player a ****ty move?

They're exploiting the system at the expense of the player and the spirit in which the contract was signed and CBA/tagging system set up. There's nothing wrong with wanting compensation for a player, but if a team wants to have that eventuality then sign him to a standard long-term deal, not some bullshit deal that they have the right to choose to exercise annually and giving the player the supposed option to opt out (at a cost). The Eagles have done well out of the deal with Foles, the dude won them a Superbowl, and due to his play and Wentz's injuries it's worked out for them, but they're at the point now where they have no intention of having Foles around next year, and yet they exercise his contract and tag him just to wring one last bit of value from him even though they signed a contract with him giving him the chance to pay his way out.

Essentially the Eagles want to have their cake and eat it and have all of the reward with none of the risk, at the expense of the player, which is enough to make me suspicious of their activities.

It's not the same, but imagine a scenario where someone we have an emotional connection with, say Cam Wake, had the option to opt out of his contract. He makes peace with the fans, says thanks for all the good years but he has one last year in him and wants to live out his boyhood dream of playing for the Cleveland Browns, even if it's just for one bit-part year (this is hypothetical, I have no idea what his stance on the Browns is). We then turn round and tag him, before trading him to the Jets. I would consider that pretty shitty, and a time where wanting compensation is a dick move.

Last edited:
They're exploiting the system at the expense of the player and the spirit in which the contract was signed and CBA/tagging system set up. There's nothing wrong with wanting compensation for a player, but if a team wants to have that eventuality then sign him to a standard long-term deal, not some bullshit deal that they have the right to choose to exercise annually and giving the player the supposed option to opt out (at a cost). The Eagles have done well out of the deal with Foles, the dude won them a Superbowl, and due to his play and Wentz's injuries it's worked out for them, but they're at the point now where they have no intention of having Foles around next year, and yet they exercise his contract and tag him just to wring one last bit of value from him even though they signed a contract with him giving him the chance to pay his way out.

Essentially the Eagles want to have their cake and eat it and have all of the reward with none of the risk, at the expense of the player, which is enough to make me suspicious of their activities.

It's not the same, but imagine a scenario where someone we have an emotional connection with, say Cam Wake, had the option to opt out of his contract. He makes peace with the fans, says thanks for all the good years but he has one last year in him and wants to live out his boyhood dream of playing for the Cleveland Browns, even if it's just for one bit-part year (this is hypothetical, I have no idea what his stance on the Browns is). We then turn round and tag him, before trading him to the Jets. I would consider that pretty ****ty, and a time where wanting compensation is not appropriate.

Teams hold player hostage with the Franchise Tag and players hold teams hostage by holding out, both are well within the right of the respective parties to do so. I don't consider one act to be crappier than the other. Both are looking out for their own well being.

When my brother was getting close to retiring from the Army he wanted to spend his last 2 years in Florida so he could start scouting for houses/schools/prospective employment etc. They sent him to Virginia instead, you can't always have it your way. I'm sure if they paid my brother double his salary for those 2 years it would have made his time in Virginia a lot more bearable.

Foles helped the Eagles win a SB and the Eagles in turn have raised Folks stock. Without Foles the Eagles likely don't win a SB and without the Eagles Foles isn't worth the big time money he's about to earn. If I remember correctly they even gave a 1 million dollar thank you present even though they didn't have to. Foles is getting paid regardless so I'm not feeling too bad for the guy. They're going to trade him and he's going to get a nice fat payday or they'll keep him and he gets paid $25 million dollars to hold a clip board. He'll be just fine.

Just to throw some more smoke on this, Vegas has the Fins and Jags as the odds on favorites to land Foles

Teams hold player hostage with the Franchise Tag and players hold teams hostage by holding out, both are well within the right of the respective parties to do so. I don't consider one act to be crappier than the other. Both are looking out for their own well being.

When my brother was getting close to retiring from the Army he wanted to spend his last 2 years in Florida so he could start scouting for houses/schools/prospective employment etc. They sent him to Virginia instead, you can't always have it your way. I'm sure if they paid my brother double his salary for those 2 years it would have made his time in Virginia a lot more bearable.

Foles helped the Eagles win a SB and the Eagles in turn have raised Folks stock. Without Foles the Eagles likely don't win a SB and without the Eagles Foles isn't worth the big time money he's about to earn. If I remember correctly they even gave a 1 million dollar thank you present even though they didn't have to. Foles is getting paid regardless so I'm not feeling too bad for the guy. They're going to trade him and he's going to get a nice fat payday or they'll keep him and he gets paid $25 million dollars to hold a clip board. He'll be just fine.
I don't doubt he'll be fine by the standards you or I might apply, but this follows the same argument as Howard/Bell conversations - when the person who is ultimately responsible for manipulating the system to the players disadvantage is a billionaire then the 'he's getting millions, what's his problem' line is no longer good enough. It's another example of the bizarre insistence that players be grateful for what they're given or how they're treated. If teams want the ability to trade players then put them under a long-term contract, don't put them on a contract that the team can void annually in case a guy doesn't perform but then when he does perform take up his contract just to trade him. You say both parties are looking out for their own wellbeing, but players don't have the same flexibility to manipulate the system as the teams do. It's not a fair situation or level playing field, which is my objection.

Saying that you're right about the snap percentage bonus that they paid him and didn't have to, and while this is 'business' and 'how the system works' it still stinks and is skewed greatly in favour of players being played.

Last edited:
I don't doubt he'll be fine by the standards you or I might apply, but this follows the same argument as Howard/Bell conversations - when the person who is ultimately responsible for manipulating the system to the players disadvantage is a billionaire then the 'he's getting millions, what's his problem' line is no longer good enough. It's another example of the bizarre insistence that players be grateful for what they're given or how they're treated. If teams want the ability to trade players then put them under a long-term contract, don't put them on a contract that the team can void annually in case a guy doesn't perform but then when he does perform take up his contract just to trade him. You say both parties are looking out for their own wellbeing, but players don't have the same flexibility to manipulate the system as the teams do. It's not a fair situation or level playing field, which is my objection.

Saying that you're right about the snap percentage bonus that they paid him and didn't have to, and while this is 'business' and 'how the system works' it still stinks and is skewed greatly in favour of players being played.

He'll be fine by any standards because the guy is going to get paid regardless of what transpires. If players don't like the franchise tag they should negotiate it that out the next time the CBA is due. Saying teams should not do something that is within their right and which players themselves agreed to during the CBA doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Who care's if it's not a fair situation or level playing field, that's life man. That's not an NFL issue, that's a everywhere in the world issue. Any player that ever agreed to play in the NFL knew or should know what they were getting themselves into. If Nick Foles doesn't like it he can simply walk away and retire and then he is free to do whatever he wishes. He can start his own business and make his own rules or go sell insurance. I don't know where you work but I've never worked anywhere where I personally had a whole lot of say on what the rules should be or how the place should run. When I joined the Air Force I knew they could send me where they wanted, for as long as they wanted, whenever they wanted. I willingly signed that contract knowing everything I'd be giving up just like those NFL players sign their contracts knowing what they're giving up. No one forced me to sign anymore than anyone forced them to sign. When I tired of the Air Force i had to wait until my contract expired to get out, at least Foles and every other player in the NFL can choose to walk away at any time if they don't like their situation.

He'll be fine by any standards because the guy is going to get paid regardless of what transpires. If players don't like the franchise tag they should negotiate it that out the next time the CBA is due. Saying teams should not do something that is within their right and which players themselves agreed to during the CBA doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Who care's if it's not a fair situation or level playing field, that's life man. That's not an NFL issue, that's a everywhere in the world issue. Any player that ever agreed to play in the NFL knew or should know what they were getting themselves into. If Nick Foles doesn't like it he can simply walk away and retire and then he is free to do whatever he wishes. He can start his own business and make his own rules or go sell insurance. I don't know where you work but I've never worked anywhere where I personally had a whole lot of say on what the rules should be or how the place should run. When I joined the Air Force I knew they could send me where they wanted, for as long as they wanted, whenever they wanted. I willingly signed that contract knowing everything I'd be giving up just like those NFL players sign their contracts knowing what they're giving up. No one forced me to sign anymore than anyone forced them to sign. When I tired of the Air Force i had to wait until my contract expired to get out, at least Foles and every other player in the NFL can choose to walk away at any time if they don't like their situation.
Yeah I think we're clearly looking at it from different angles, probably given our different life experiences. I am constantly sickened by the behaviour and attitude displayed by team owners and league executives, therefore I can't accept the 'life's not fair angle' when it comes to NFL players given who is driving this wider situation and benefits the most. I don't necessarily agree with your points about the CBA and think it's simplifying it far too much to just say 'if they don't like it they shouldn't have agreed to it'. However you are right that a lot of times you have to just get on and do it, and that Nick Foles himself is probably of the same attitude and accepts the situation he's in. I'm looking at the bigger picture, and not whether the Eagles can or can't do what they're doing, and it regularly bugs the hell out of me.

Wentz is a great talent. Foles is a bum. QB wins stats aren’t a thing. Foles is limited to the extent that over a full season he’s no better than 8-8. Wentz can carry a team. Anyone pushing for foles should be discredited on all QB evaluations.

Wentz is a great talent. Foles is a bum. QB wins stats aren’t a thing. Foles is limited to the extent that over a full season he’s no better than 8-8. Wentz can carry a team. Anyone pushing for foles should be discredited on all QB evaluations.

I don’t see Foles being any better than Tanny outside of the Eagles system.

If we acquired Foles we would have the best Coach / QB situation that we've had in a very long time imo. But, I see Foles going to the Jags. He'll make them a good deal better if they can pass protect and Fournette is running the ball well. I would like to have him as QB over basically all the other QB choices in FA but the team is in fix the cap mode so it's not going to happen imo, If they fix the trenches and the cap in the coming season they've done really well.

Back
Top Bottom