Eagles trade Wentz to Colts makes new trade partner with the Dolphins. | Page 14 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eagles trade Wentz to Colts makes new trade partner with the Dolphins.

Premise of this thread is highly questionable...

Phila is obviously gonna roll with Hurts.

Who they gonna trade up for?????
I don't really think it matters.

As long as there is a perception that the Eagles (or any other team for that matter) might be in the market to trade up, only adds to the angst of all teams who really do want to trade up.

The more potential suitors for the Fins #3 pick the better.

The Bengals probably want Sewel and might be a trade partner with the Fins or other teams might want a QB and would be willing to trade with the Fins.

A lot of teams would easily give up a 2nd rounder to move up 1-2 spots.

The Fins might be able to trade down a few times and pick up a couple of additional 2nd round picks.

If they don't find any trade partners, they can just take Sewel themselves.

The Fins are in an ideal spot.

Until the Philly GM and HC comes out and says that Hurts is their number 1 QB period, then IMO they are in the hunt for a QB in this draft. Bottom line is nobody knows what a GM or HC are really thinking. I swear I was listening to a sports talk show today, and the host had 2 different NFL writers on at different times. He ask both about the Watson situation. One of the writers said his sources were telling him the Texans would defiantly trade DW to Miami. The other writer said his sources were telling him that Miami wouldn't be trading for Watson. Who the hell knows?

No way Eagles trade up, they are starting a rebuild and have Hurts to fall back on next year. They would rather trade down than up, they have old vets being paid a ton they will be offloading this year and next. They have to reload with young cheap talent which means they need more picks, not less.

Premise of this thread is highly questionable...

Phila is obviously gonna roll with Hurts.

Who they gonna trade up for?????

Some one who could be their new QB.

If the team ends up liking Hurts, then they have a drafted player with serious trade potential.

It's like investing in precious metals. The ones you don't keep still have trade value.

If Hoops is correct that we pick at 3 or otherwise take less compensation and gamble on a 1 st next year I would prefer Slater to Swell if talent is equal. Slater can play center tackle or guard. The problem after that at 18 we either overdraft a WR or RB unless we can trade back. There will be some good linebacker or DT at that spot but then your loosing out on the top WR class most likely. I still want OL in the top 3 picks really a center / guard gotta protect our Tua investment first.

Last edited:
I predict that our 1st pick in this draft will come at 1.8. I figure Carolina will miss out as all the free agent QBs are shuffled around while they wait on Houston. When the Texans decide to keep Watson, Carolina will have no choice but to trade up.

No way Eagles trade up, they are starting a rebuild and have Hurts to fall back on next year. They would rather trade down than up, they have old vets being paid a ton they will be offloading this year and next. They have to reload with young cheap talent which means they need more picks, not less.

I just want to add a piece of information I read years ago that still seems applicable.

The best players ( not just potentially good players) available in the draft are found in the first 16 to 20 selections Assume 18 to be the edge for a rapid talent drop off. The talent falls off pretty quickly from there with the occasional late round success story.

This means trading; lets use the #14 position as an example. This means that if they trade up 6 positions they get a #8 pick ( better chance at a better player), but if they trade down 6 picks they get a # 20 pick, which is on, or past the edge of a dramatic fall off in player talent.

This is why picking up a high draft pick QB while you just acquired a vet with a big price tag makes sense. You can always trade the high drafted player if the Vet works out and lose very little. If the high draft pick becomes the team QB you have the option of keeping the vet as backup and presumably at a much lower salary or if he can command a higher salary you have another trade option.

This concept is called hedging your bet!

Last edited:
he’s been awful. I don’t care if you live in tbe old stadium jail house.

no qb has fallen off the map more since his second year.

can reich rescue it maybe he can. He’s obviously betting on it
Wentz was borderline incompetent over the last half of the 2019 season. It was stunning to watch. I was ripping him every week in the Draft Forum, especially after seeing him against the Dolphins. That game was smack in the middle of a six-game stretch of ineptitude.

My gosh, those mechanics were so bad it almost looked self designed. Ridiculously high elbow, which all but negated any threat of touch on most throws. Then he combined tunnel vision with the awful mechanics, which meant he wasn't even looking to find the one area where his inept mechanics might produce enough margin for error to actually get away with an errant throw.

The entire 2020 season was a predictable extension of late season 2019. I have no idea how anyone was surprised, unless they were relying on name recognition and hadn't actually bothered to pay attention during 2019.

However, this is hardly a Daniel Jones situation with 6.5 YPA no matter the season or level. Wentz was one of the top handful of quarterbacks in the league during his season season until the injury agains the Rams.

That makes this the most interesting reclamation project I can think of since Jim Plunkett to the Raiders. Throughout 2020 on FootballsFuture.com several of the top quarterback analysts were saying if anyone can fix Carson Wentz' mechanics it would be Frank Reich. However, the game has changed so much in 40 years the Colts can't afford to stash Wentz for two full seasons to work on his mechanics and confidence, as Al Davis did with Plunkett.

I can't see high projections for the Colts in 2021. They are in the same negative expectancy scenario as the Dolphins, after going from 7-9 in 2019 to 11-5 in 2020. That means a regression was huge favorite to begin with, before they declined at quarterback.

The only good news is that the AFC as a whole will regress. No chance those records will be mirrored in 2021.

Its hard to see the Eagles offering up a treasure trove to move up with the Wentz trade fiasco fresh in mind. Its amazing they got as much as they did in return for him.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the trade target that someone is going to fall in love with is Trey Lance. A GM is going to see Mahomes there and just know they're the team with the coaching staff that can bring it out in him.

I'm not sure if it has been mentioned in this 14 page thread, but I find it interesting the Colts have pretty much ignored Jacob Eason. I guess he hasn't shown them much since being drafted last year.

Back
Top Bottom