Early Hopes for 2021 Draft | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Early Hopes for 2021 Draft

WR was more of a luxury than a need.

They went a long way in FA and this Draft in building the foundation(LOS).

Next year they have 2 picks in rounds 1 and 2 in which to get some toys for Tua.

My early guess is Miami's own pick will be in the 12-15 area and Houston's in the 15-20 area.

They should be able to target WR and get one of the top rated ones if they want.

With any luck they will be in a position to trade a pick to a QB hungry team and add more ammo.

They also will have a decent chunk of Cap space to sign a WR/TE/RB in FA, although they may use some of that to keep Breida if he shows them enough.

Been a pretty darn good draft by our FO. Eager to see what the team looks like this year. That said, who are you eyeing for the 2021 draft?

We just went BEEF heavy. I like it. Trying to build the trenches and bring in options. See who plays out. But, none of the guys are definite, lock down for 10 year players. They might emerge, but we got some unknowns. If our tackle spot is still shaky heading into next April, I'd love to see Penei Sewell in Fin colors. He is an absolute monster. And I am definitely digging bringing in a Polynesian brother to protect Tua. Love seeing the island boys on the roster. There will be plenty of other elite players to consider, and needed holes to fill...I think we go WR early next year, maybe RB as well. And I would like to see an upgrade at LB. But, that aside, if our line needs some help still, Sewell is a guy to watch this season. Flores and Grier have shown that protecting Tua is a major priority.

Penei Sewell Highlights

He would be a durn nice get...but we decided on a project at #18.

You dance with the girl you brought to the party....

I did a two rounder, I am so ashamed of myself.

MIA
5.Gregory Rousseau
EDGE Miami
MIA
14.Creed Humphrey
OC Oklahoma
MIA
37.Chuba Hubbard
RB Oklahoma State
MIA
46.Chris Olave
WR Ohio State

Can't see Miami picking #5 again but I will take the best pass rusher happily.

Wish we could have them now.

I'd have to say that's my biggest disappointment in the 2020 draft. I get that Miami needed a meat and potato draft. The offensive line last year was horrendous.

But I'd more closely follow the talent in the draft, which was loaded at wide receiver.
I think the difference between a good team and a great team isn't the talent level of each team's best players, it is the talent level of each team's middle to low range of players (outside of QB, which you have to have an excellent one or a generational overall defense).

What we did in this draft, with amount of picks we made, was (at worst) dramatically increase the overall talent of our middle to low level guys.

Last edited:
I think the difference between a good team and a great team isn't the talent level of each team's best players, it is the talent level of each team's middle to low range of players (outside of QB, which you have to have an excellent one or a generational overall defense).

What we did in this draft, with amount of picks we made, was (at worst) dramatically increase the overall talent of our middle to low round guys.
Good point. Definitely had to improve that offensive line. That was clearly the goal, along with getting a quarterback.

WR was more of a luxury than a need.

There were lots of them but other than Jerry Jeudy I wasn't excited by anybody. I was definitely paying attention as Jeudy started to slip toward the mid teens. A trade up to let's say 13 or 14 would have been something I would have explored. Beyond that I viewed the receivers as largely a blend, the guys that other teams would take. I'm sure there will be some stars and some busts. I never studied the position closely because as you mentioned I was very confident the Dolphins viewed it as lower priority than the fanbase did.

I am extremely disappointed we signed the wide receiver Kirk Merritt. In fact, I am disgusted. Similar to Jimmy Wilson more than a decade ago I followed that Merritt case in real time. Just like Jimmy Wilson if you read the Aggie online forums and comments on local articles you got a heck of a lot more info than if you merely relied on the pampered versions the press feels it can confidently report. Friends of the two Merritt victims posted details, including the devastating impact on the two women. The jock itch story was so disgraceful it alone should have resulted in jail time, IMO.

This is further evidence that the simplistic angry male influence has far too much grip on American society. There is no chance that Kirk Merritt should have been able to argue jock itch and not face penalties, along with a review board actually going along with it and telling the victim sorry there's nothing we can do. It is also evidence that the women's groups own ridiculously low coverage and persuasion. Otherwise they would have been all over this name and made darn sure that not one NFL owner even dared associate his franchise with the name Kirk Merritt.

There were lots of them but other than Jerry Jeudy I wasn't excited by anybody. I was definitely paying attention as Jeudy started to slip toward the mid teens. A trade up to let's say 13 or 14 would have been something I would have explored. Beyond that I viewed the receivers as largely a blend, the guys that other teams would take. I'm sure there will be some stars and some busts. I never studied the position closely because as you mentioned I was very confident the Dolphins viewed it as lower priority than the fanbase did.

I am extremely disappointed we signed the wide receiver Kirk Merritt. In fact, I am disgusted. Similar to Jimmy Wilson more than a decade ago I followed that Merritt case in real time. Just like Jimmy Wilson if you read the Aggie online forums and comments on local articles you got a heck of a lot more info than if you merely relied on the pampered versions the press feels it can confidently report. Friends of the two Merritt victims posted details, including the devastating impact on the two women. The jock itch story was so disgraceful it alone should have resulted in jail time, IMO.

This is further evidence that the simplistic angry male influence has far too much grip on American society. There is no chance that Kirk Merritt should have been able to argue jock itch and not face penalties, along with a review board actually going along with it and telling the victim sorry there's nothing we can do. It is also evidence that the women's groups own ridiculously low coverage and persuasion. Otherwise they would have been all over this name and made darn sure that not one NFL owner even dared associate his franchise with the name Kirk Merritt.

unfortunately the stardom and likeness of tyreek hill has normalized and excused such signings.

he isn’t alone. But he’s the reason teams are gonna take chances more often and why fans are gonna excuse it. everyone wants tyreek hill

I preach forgiveness and second chances. Just the NFL has soured me due to their lack of actions and their misguided ones at that. Very prestigious league, very little accountability

Cant wait for the 2021 draft .... and season to follow already. We should be ready to roll

Kyle Pitts, freirmuth, Brevin Jordan at TE

Bateman is a stud, and Rondale moore is absolutely eletcric.

Waddle home run hitter, and Chase all around stud

IF you build a truly strong OL and have a outstanding QB then you do not need Elite players at WR and RB.

Nothing wrong with having some but solid B skill guys will flourish with great blocking and QB play.

Not to mention nothing eats up cap space faster than WR's who put up big numbers.

I think Miami understands this.

Looking at how this organization has valued talent over the last year, I'd be keeping an eye on guys with versatility and leadership skills. With that in mind, these would be the guys I'd be eyeing.

Patrick Surtain -- Can play corner, slot or safety.

Alex Leatherwood -- Premium because he can play outside, but he really fits as above-average potential at three offensive line positions.

Rondale Moore -- Yes, he's small, but anyone who watched him torch Ohio State with all of its NFL prospects knows how big of a weapon he can be. Such a threat to get the ball in a number of ways he can even make opposing defenses think twice about how hard they come with the pash rush. Threat on reverses, end arounds, and should be able to return kicks.

Micah Parsons -- Big linebacker who is disruptive, rarely misses tackles, and can rush the passer from multiple zones. For all his big-play ability, he's still a guy you can use in coverage.

Travis Etienne -- I'd have taken him ahead of any of the RBs in this draft. Love his speed. Not sure what the book says on his receiving, but, like Moore, he's a guy that can spread a defense and make you so much harder to defend.

Pat Freiermuth -- All-purpose tight end, kind of a poor man's Gronk. Big enough to be an asset in the run game as a blocker, but such a good receiver he broke most of Gesicki's marks for a TE at Penn State.

Obviously, if the Dolphins have a shot at Chase, Rousseau, or Little, it'd be tough to pass up, but they need picks in the top 10, and I don't think they're going to be picking there. I think, if they get two picks between 10-15, use one on Surtain, trade down with the other, they might have an opportunity for three or four of these guys, because most project in the 20s or even early second round in the too-early mocks I've been watching.

Back
Top Bottom