East/West Shrine Game | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

East/West Shrine Game

James Morgan looked tight in his first appearance. I am going to look into him some more. Anyone can elaborate on him and his skillset?

Going back and looking at the game some more, really reinforces things I'd seen in the practice.

Garrett Marino's energy, intensity, quickness, and punch...were problems for the West OL to handle. He made plays. He reminds me of a Karl Klug or Wallace Gilberry. He also reminds me of Kyle Vanden Bosch. I genuinely think that insane intensity (he hyperventilated during East practice), the quick and explosive hands, and the full package of movement skills...bode well for him actually carving out some kind of career. There's room for players like this, although not much.

Tershawn Wharton's gifted package of athleticism and strength was also a big problem. He's still learning what to do with his hands and feet and leverage, but he's starting to show an awareness on screens and such. Overall he's a more attractive package than Garrett Marino, and probably has a little bit more versatility. He's got strong potential if he keeps developing.

Kendall Coleman's BEND was a big problem for the West OL when they got into pass rush. He showed that during the week of practices. I'm not familiar with him at Syracuse, where Alton Robinson got most of the press. But during the practice week it was his BEND that caught my eye, and then sure enough during the game during a pass rush situation he was able to bend right around the edge of the tackle and make a play on quarterback. Twice. The bend being the strongest aspect of his game can be a mixed blessing in that it lends itself to speed rushing, which means he'll fit some systems, but not others like Miami's as they don't have an appetite for edge players ending up 2 yards behind the quarterback.

Alex Highsmith's pure explosiveness and his spin move were both problems for the West OL during the game. But he's still learning and didn't pose as much of a threat as I'd have hoped. He's got a little ways to go in terms of reading the blocker and having a plan. But the physical potential is surprising in a guy who was a walk-on for the Charlotte 49ers, and became one of the best pass rushers in the nation.

Michael Danna's overall size and strength were problems. He's a solid football player that should be able to find work at the next level.

Parnell Motley was again unassailable. He's not just quick. He has really good HANDS. Very aggressive in the way he played press. His confidence is off the charts and sometimes that gets him into trouble because he's all too willing to sit down pretty hard on a route. But he'll learn. This is a guy to watch. He's going to be a LOT better in the pros than he was in college.

Nevelle Clarke didn't get many chances to affect this game. Not sure if that's just the way it played out, or if he generally kept his guy on lock down. I was watching quite a bit and he was handling himself out there. Very intelligent with his pre-snap movement. Didn't allow himself to be blocked, although he did make the one mistake on containment that allowed a reverse-field run. Nearly had an interception by being exactly at his mark, which he generally was all game. But once again there was a moment in the game where the ball got outside of him and everyone were in an open field chase situation, where you ended up having to ask yourself, how fast is this guy exactly? Unfortunately, for this position, it matters. So we'll see.

Michael Onwenu was probably the best overall OL on the East side. He's huge, compact, capable, and was able to bully people around with those attributes. I'm not sure if he's got special explosiveness or agility. But he's competent.

Luke Juriga of Western Michigan was a competent Center...but nothing more. Daryl Williams was alright. I wouldn't write home about either one.

Kyle Murphy has a lot of potential, and he may get switched around different positions while they find a home for him, but you can tell that he has a lot to learn. For his body type I would actually love to see him at Center.

Aaron Parker has come a long way in terms of catch technique and hands. Perhaps he's just inconsistent that way, or perhaps he had a few bad days in the games I was watching. But he looked like an NFL player in this game. You could tell he was built right and that he moved the best. But this game also showed he could focus with his hands and his feet in ways that he didn't, at times, during the season. He's one to watch.

Eli Wolfe was the other guy who took MAJOR advantage in this game, after not being able to get a lot of playing time at Georgia. He looked smooth in the passing game, highly reliable, athletic, and did a good job blocking as well. Not a huge tight end prospect, but a pretty solid one that reminds me of Josiah Deguara.

I said multiple times before the game that it was very likely Mason Fine would look the best of all the quarterbacks. He did exactly that. He was 4 of 6 for 66 yards and a TD, no picks, no sacks, and a 143 passer rating. He didn't have very many chances in the game but that's his nature to come out on top. He's small. There's nothing for it. He's slightly under 5'10" and he's not the sort of ridiculous athlete Kyler Murray was. I feel for him.

Back
Top Bottom