East/West Shrine Game | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

East/West Shrine Game

I've been enjoying all the Tweets and after practice reports from the East/West Shrine game practices. CK as usual, does a fantastic job. Lots of info about the players. Love this time of year. I'm like a little kid in a candy store.

Today was interesting. Pretty lively stuff in the team portions.

I get the feeling Oklahoma CB Parnell Motley has really taken over as the week progressed, with his combination of athleticism and confidence. Early in the week he bit bad on a double-move in the one-on-one drills, which I think confident corners do, and so he was beat deep. But that's one play. Today during team there was a period where he was thrown on three times and he broke up all three. He was unassailable. And I've been told he was like that yesterday too.

For that matter CB Elijah Riley of Army kept making plays too.

And CB Stantley Thomas-Oliver III of FIU...had a rough day. Kept getting beat for touchdowns.

I thought DL TreShawn Wharton lit up in team, had a pair of would-be sacks in quick succession where I saw him forced to pull up and the play went on but I still saw it.

I watched a lot of the DL drills and Garrett Marino of UAB was interesting insofar as he could destroy the bags with his punches. He had the quickest, most compact, most powerful punch of anyone there. And what's good is I saw him put it to use during BOB block drills with the DL against the OL. He punched an OL so hard he knocked him to the ground. The problem as I see it is he's a short bald white guy. He looks like a thumb. But that upper body strength may avail him, who knows.

DE Alex Highsmith of Charlotte was the cream of the crop. Nobody here quicker. That said, I was pretty impressed with the quickness and overall flexibility, movement skills, of DE Kendall Coleman of Syracuse.

Clemson WR Diondre Overton showed up today after the national championship and just Moss'd everybody. Multiple times. It was impressive.

And holy cow is UCF RB Adrian Killins tiny. Listed at 5'7" & 164 lbs. He looked like they gave a shriners kid some pads.

I continue to think that Rhode Island OL Kyle Murphy is the guy on this unit that is worth a look.

Thanks for these reports ck. Where would you project Murphy for now? mid round guy? Maybe at guard in the nfl?

I get the feeling Oklahoma CB Parnell Motley has really taken over as the week progressed, with his combination of athleticism and confidence. Early in the week he bit bad on a double-move in the one-on-one drills, which I think confident corners do, and so he was beat deep. But that's one play. Today during team there was a period where he was thrown on three times and he broke up all three. He was unassailable. And I've been told he was like that yesterday too.

For that matter CB Elijah Riley of Army kept making plays too.

And CB Stantley Thomas-Oliver III of FIU...had a rough day. Kept getting beat for touchdowns.

I thought DL TreShawn Wharton lit up in team, had a pair of would-be sacks in quick succession where I saw him forced to pull up and the play went on but I still saw it.

I watched a lot of the DL drills and Garrett Marino of UAB was interesting insofar as he could destroy the bags with his punches. He had the quickest, most compact, most powerful punch of anyone there. And what's good is I saw him put it to use during BOB block drills with the DL against the OL. He punched an OL so hard he knocked him to the ground. The problem as I see it is he's a short bald white guy. He looks like a thumb. But that upper body strength may avail him, who knows.

DE Alex Highsmith of Charlotte was the cream of the crop. Nobody here quicker. That said, I was pretty impressed with the quickness and overall flexibility, movement skills, of DE Kendall Coleman of Syracuse.

Clemson WR Diondre Overton showed up today after the national championship and just Moss'd everybody. Multiple times. It was impressive.

And holy cow is UCF RB Adrian Killins tiny. Listed at 5'7" & 164 lbs. He looked like they gave a shriners kid some pads.

I continue to think that Rhode Island OL Kyle Murphy is the guy on this unit that is worth a look.

Have you done any work on those corners CK ? We are gonna need to take at least one, maybe two, I don't see a whole lot of value in where we pick early on over other positions personally so I'm thinking we may have a heavy interest in a mid to late round guy.

You've mentioned Wharton and Murphy a couple of times now, so clearly a couple to keep an eye on and I know from your podcast how much you like Highsmoth, do you think he lasts to the late rounds where mockers kind of have him right now ?

Heehee Killins is definately not going to have a basketball career if he doesn't make it in the NFL ! But he is lightning quick. I think I asked either you or Slim about him a couple of years ago after he tore it up in a game, he and Milton had a chemistry, don't think he quiet built up the same with Mack and the Gabriel, anyway I remember one of you saying how there literally zero prospect of his size in the NFL. Even though the game has changed I do think that statement holds true now, he'll be a UDFA experiment for some team at best.

Motley is a frustrating corner to evaluate. No corner has fluctuated as much in my rankings as this kid. His aggressiveness and click and close when he can keep the receiver in front of him is good, but he struggles down the field. Has a tendency to blow coverages. Blew a huge coverage against LSU in the playoffs on a 3 deep that was just a back breaker.

Motley is a frustrating corner to evaluate. No corner has fluctuated as much in my rankings as this kid. His aggressiveness and click and close when he can keep the receiver in front of him is good, but he struggles down the field. Has a tendency to blow coverages. Blew a huge coverage against LSU in the playoffs on a 3 deep that was just a back breaker.

If he's really athletic then he's probably the typical corner who becomes better in the NFL than he was in college.

Onwenu looks pretty awesome, he's just throwing these kids around right now.

Last edited:
Huntley not done a whole lot in the game but looks a class apart in the QB, Highsmith has flashed, Onwenu as I said looks awesome, like Benny LeMay at RB, John Houston has flashed, Derrick Marino and Michael Dana, Freddy Swain all showing why they should get drafted. Killens catching the ball out of the backfield may sneak onto a roster late pick. Must admit to being distracted with family stuff during the game so may have missed some standouts.

Malcolm Perry just broke a 50 yard option play, Taysom Hill mark 2 ?

Last edited:
Williams the East center flashed a few times for me. He would be a good mid round center prospect. Marino the NT was dominating the West offensive line, but I am not sure how he would do with better competition.

Williams the East center flashed a few times for me. He would be a good mid round center prospect. Marino the NT was dominating the West offensive line, but I am not sure how he would do with better competition.

Garrett Marino had by far the strongest punch during practices. Not even close. His hands and intensity were amazing. There were others that were more physically impressive in terms of stature, maybe their movement skills, etc. I've never watched him during games. Sometimes you need to watch the games to connect the dots with what you see in the practices.

I'm certainly going to go back and watch UAB games. I know PFF graded him extremely well.

Back
Top Bottom