Easton Stick ? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Easton Stick ?

I’ve followed Cks record for over a decade, (non-weirdo :)) his record demontrates an upper echelon evaluator..I know he was right there with me on Russel Wilson and Pat Mahomes when mostly everyone else was far off from what they would become..

We all have misses on players, it’s about who misses less.. For the amount of players he goes on record about, The record is more than solid imo.

What's probably funniest about this is Easton Stick is not my favorite QB in the draft. Nor do I even consider him a 1st rounder.

Highlight reels can make anyone look good, and I think the "he doesn't have a big arm" concern is legit.

BUT:

- He can read defenses pre-snap pretty damn well.
- He works through his progressions well.
- He processes and finds receivers quickly, to the point of "throwing them open" (which is a phrase that I can't stand.)
- He knows how to move coverage with his eyes and pump fakes.
- He's obviously hyper-athletic, while not being a run-first QB.

And here's where I think he'll have to adjust to the NFL:

- He's accurate enough. I know that a lot of people point to his accuracy as a detriment, and in watching him, I don't think it's a placement issue. I think it's that he's overaggressive; he sees openings and tries to fit passes into openings that he just doesn't have the arm to. And that will get worse in the NFL; he'll get eaten up on out routes if he tries some of the throws he made at NDSU - making adjustments to NFL speed is going to be difficult. If he's smart enough to make that adjustment? I think he could turn into a pretty good NFL QB.

For what it's worth? I think he ends up a Raider, and I don't think he makes it to UDFA. I think it's more likely that someone overreacts thinking he's the next Carson Wentz, and drops a 4th rounder on him, than he goes undrafted.

I take it there are guys I have on ignore in here talking so I don't really know what they're saying, but I kind of imagine it goes something like, "More like Easton SUCK. Ha ha."

Highlight reels can make anyone look good, and I think the "he doesn't have a big arm" concern is legit.

BUT:

- He can read defenses pre-snap pretty damn well.
- He works through his progressions well.
- He processes and finds receivers quickly, to the point of "throwing them open" (which is a phrase that I can't stand.)
- He knows how to move coverage with his eyes and pump fakes.
- He's obviously hyper-athletic, while not being a run-first QB.

And here's where I think he'll have to adjust to the NFL:

- He's accurate enough. I know that a lot of people point to his accuracy as a detriment, and in watching him, I don't think it's a placement issue. I think it's that he's overaggressive; he sees openings and tries to fit passes into openings that he just doesn't have the arm to. And that will get worse in the NFL; he'll get eaten up on out routes if he tries some of the throws he made at NDSU - making adjustments to NFL speed is going to be difficult. If he's smart enough to make that adjustment? I think he could turn into a pretty good NFL QB.

For what it's worth? I think he ends up a Raider, and I don't think he makes it to UDFA. I think it's more likely that someone overreacts thinking he's the next Carson Wentz, and drops a 4th rounder on him, than he goes undrafted.

I like highlight reels. They have a place.

Bill Parcells always had a saying when it comes to players. Don't tell me what he can't do. Tell me what he can do. A highlight reel comes a lot closer to telling you what a guy can do. I like looking at them sometimes and comparing them because honestly I want to know what we're fighting for. Every player, it's always a fight for consistency. I want to know how good it can get.

Unfortunately I don't always trust other people compiling stuff to actually pull up the good plays. They pull up their idea of a good play, and sometimes it's like, well that wasn't actually all that good. There was a more impressive play you ignored because the guy dropped it. Or maybe it didn't sync as well with the hip hop song blaring in the background.

Here are the plays I liked from Stick's regular season. Admittedly I committed my own sin by feeling like I had to stick in all of the touchdowns.

I'm an NDSU fan and have watched all of his games. Don't know if he will make a starting NFL QB, but he is loaded with intangibles. He just knows how to win and will do anything to do so. From what I've heard from Fargo, he will be drafted anywhere from round 3 to round 7. My guess would be 4 or 5. I think at the very least he would provide a good backup as he learns the NFL game. He's a good kid and a team player. He has been noticed by NFL scouts so he will get an opportunity somewhere. Personally, I'd love to see that opportunity in Miami. If CK thinks he has potential, I tend to believe him. He's been one of the consistent best judges of talent on this site.

CK has probably forgotten more football than a lot of people here would ever know. I also would not be too upset if we spend a late round pick on this young man. He has a lot of the intangibles Flores and Grier are looking for.

I take it there are guys I have on ignore in here talking so I don't really know what they're saying, but I kind of imagine it goes something like, "More like Easton SUCK. Ha ha."

Patronizing as always...

and to think, I am the bad guy in this thread because I pointed out how poor you are at evaluating QBs, but then you attempt to insult those who disagree with you. I mean, if you have them on ignore, why bring it up?

Just remember boys and girls, someone of this forum compared a mid-level, moderately accurate QB who played poorly in the shrine bowl practices with only slightly better competition to Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck.

giphy.gif

End of day 3 UDFA.

I really do not understand the hype behind this kid besides that of CK who has a pretty awful track record on QB evals.

I second that. I like Grier and Minshew better. Would take either before him. Minshew will probably be available in the 6th; I’d take him as high as the 4th in case someone else likes him. Definitely a scheme fit type of guy. But he fits the way the NFL is heading with the aerial attack he ran in Cougar Country.

Last edited:
Patronizing as always...

and to think, I am the bad guy in this thread because I pointed out how poor you are at evaluating QBs, but then you attempt to insult those who disagree with you. I mean, if you have them on ignore, why bring it up?

Just remember boys and girls, someone of this forum compared a mid-level, moderately accurate QB who played poorly in the shrine bowl practices with only slightly better competition to Aaron Rodgers and Andrew Luck.

giphy.gif

Interesting...

...how did you know he was referring to you?

Back
Top Bottom