Economics | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Economics

Carne Asada

there be no distractions for our team
Club Member
Reaction score
The NFL is an economy. FA, the draft, scheme tendencies.

Knowing that schemes and money allocation tendencies tend to reverse when everyone catches up.

Going against the grain while executing properly is the formula. Even talking about team building. Doing different things. Teams prepare for 31 teams. If yours is a deviation, teams won't be able to counter you effectively.

Exploiting the system instead of fighting it makes sense too.

If everyone likes X, Y type of player then that will result in scarcity and prices going up. While other players who are good at other things will be passed on.

That's how BB got on top and remains there, he understands this. That's why he stuck with the 3-4 when everyone switched to the 4-3 and then everyone thought the 3-4 was some sort of 'new thing'. That's why he will go run heavy on you.

Everyone saying RBs are obsolete or that big front 7 players with little pass rush 'suck' cause they don't get sacks should pay more attention to their own words and realize that IS the formula.

Having said that, most college RBs are unbalanced. Either they come from pass first offenses and have no frame, running instincts and vision or they are the feature of their offense and aren't used to pass blocking.

I want to see what Samaje Perine has to him but in general, I think larger bruising backs who are natural runners who were cow bell backs in college and that hardly made it to the field during their rookie contracts because they had to work on their pass blocking, route running and lack top end speed (ala Legarrette Blount) are what we will be aiming for in FA.

Indeed, RBs are a dime a dozen. If the market dictates a low going price, a draft pick might be too rich! You probably should get a cheap FA instead. But not the big names, more like Perine, the ones who haven't shown what they got yet.

From an economical standpoint I think we are in the best position we've ever been in. Now what we do with the resources obtained through the complete teardown is the key. While we have a ton of cap space I'm unsure how big of a player we will be in Free Agency. If we are genuinely changing, going against the grain the free agent period my not be what most expect.....Schematically I have faith in what Flores and Co. are selling. They seem to identify talent , develop it and put players in position to succeed. This will be a very interesting off season. Especially the draft.

Above average running backs are worth their weight in gold, when you have a really quality OL and are on rookie contracts.

super talented backs aren't worth anything when your OL is below average, let alone downright putrid. Makes sense to invest in 4th or 5th rounders with fresh legs now. Doesn't make much sense to waste the important years of a RB's shelf life with 1st or 2nd round picks right now.

We need RB's. We just can't afford the big investment in them with so many more glaring needs.

But again, we still NEED at least 4 new legs on the roster.

I would draft a T, OG and C before taking a RB though.

This is a bit funny. Fitzy is an Economics grad from Harvard. One guy pointed out in another thread that he's made over 60 mil as a 7th round pick.

Maybe we ought to stick with the brainiac? :ponder:
I'd love to have him in the QB room in any capacity next year. Coach, Backup, whatever role suits him best.

This thread left me almost speechless.

How many different ways can you frame a particular point of view and still end up with the same answer?

This is a bit funny. Fitzy is an Economics grad from Harvard. One guy pointed out in another thread that he's made over 60 mil as a 7th round pick.

Maybe we ought to stick with the brainiac? :ponder:
I want him in our FO when he's done playing.
Or make him the highest paid qb coach.

Can you provide a synopsis? I couldn't even read it.

Go read his previous thread on the same topic. He wants to spend on RB, two different ways to argue the same point.

While I disagree, as stated previously.

Dedicate your resources to building your fronts, push certain picks to the out years and then worry about RB. And for the love of all that matters, do not spend FA money on a 26 or older RB.

Not sure if we should use high draft capital or large free agency money on RB. I am intrigued to see if we could get some mileage out of Samaje Perine and Laird. Add a low priced free agent RB, undrafted RB and 6th/7th rounder RB and you have fresh legs for the year.

I actually posted something very similar maybe 6 months ago in J-offs section in VIP, he disagreed so I took a couple of weeks to research this, to back up my opinion... Turns out I was wrong... The passing game has become to much of a critical element of your team that spending more energy on anything else wouldnt make much sense.

Back
Top Bottom