EDGE and LBs: Best scheme fit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

EDGE and LBs: Best scheme fit

The Bopkin

Seasoned Veteran
Club Member
Reaction score
Hello all
As I try to grow my football knowledge, this is the most recent question I have been working on:
From this coming draft, which LB and EDGE players are the best scheme fits for what the Dolphins defense does? And in which round would you project that player to be taken?
I would prefer to stay away from people's personal preferences and claims of who they would take at what pick- we have so many threads on that- but I would like to focus on a player's skill set, how it matches a Dolphins LB/EDGE spot, and in what round you can see that player being selected by any team.
Also, feel free to name players who don't fit AT ALL, as someone we should avoid- because they would be a square peg in a round hole.
For me, I have been wondering about Errol Thompson as a late round developmental type to replace McKinney in a year or two- so to me this begs the question, "Is Thompson a fit?" and what round does his skill set get him picked?
Thanks all, in advance.

Parsons and Collins are the obv LB fits - guys who could start in the Van Noy role, then move to the Hightower/McKinney role eventually. Those are the only two I see as good Mike options, and I'm not sure Collins wouldn't just stay outside.

Baron Browning is an excellent fit for the Van Noy role, and I'd definitely keep him there (not even thinking about the possibility of moving him inside).

J. Davis and P. Werner are less obvious fits who could potentially bulk up and play outside. If Werner really bulked up, he could play the Mike, but that's a lot of weight to add.

At DE, Payton Turner is the really obvious fit. Oweh would need to add some weight, but he has the frame, and Paye is more similar to Lawson in build - just a lot more athletic.

There are a bunch of Day 3 guys who have the frame to play DE for Miami. Most just aren't very good.

I keep forgetting about Chauncey Golston, who reminds me some of Trey Flowers. Def a fit for Miami and a pretty good player.

Last edited:
I would also like information regarding the scheme fit of a guy like JOK from Notre Dame

Unfortunately speaking this draft doesnt have an aaron donald. And if you want to know who aaron donald is look at how mishandled flowers all game long against us. No reason to waste a 1st round pick. He was 13 overall but plays like 1st overall. We got too many guys that play lkke 2nd round picks. If we get paye 18 i would be ok with that.

Zaven Collins like Van noy in his prime is a movement player, and what I mean by that is that he moves well in every direction, very coordinated with his movement, does everything well..Can rush the passer, cover the Flats, play behind the line with instincts, drop and cover with some fluid motion..just a real good football player..I was high on Van noy coming out of BYU, disappointed in his stint here, but I have Collins graded higher because of the added athleticism and speed.

Hello all
As I try to grow my football knowledge, this is the most recent question I have been working on:
From this coming draft, which LB and EDGE players are the best scheme fits for what the Dolphins defense does? And in which round would you project that player to be taken?
I would prefer to stay away from people's personal preferences and claims of who they would take at what pick- we have so many threads on that- but I would like to focus on a player's skill set, how it matches a Dolphins LB/EDGE spot, and in what round you can see that player being selected by any team.
Also, feel free to name players who don't fit AT ALL, as someone we should avoid- because they would be a square peg in a round hole.
For me, I have been wondering about Errol Thompson as a late round developmental type to replace McKinney in a year or two- so to me this begs the question, "Is Thompson a fit?" and what round does his skill set get him picked?
Thanks all, in advance.

I like your qualification. I'm seriously considering stating a thread about a week before the draft on people's opinions what Miami WILL do in the draft. Not what people WANT them to do.
Enough of that. The only three I'd considered as high picks are Parsons, Collins, Ossai(sp)

I love that player- that is a great question I'd like the answer to as well- and what would his role be?

From his highlights he looks like the best pass rusher in this draft in my opinion. Seems like he would be a great 3-4 DE.

I like your qualification. I'm seriously considering stating a thread about a week before the draft on people's opinions what Miami WILL do in the draft. Not what people WANT them to do.
Enough of that. The only three I'd considered as high picks are Parsons, Collins, Ossai(sp)
Yes, we've had plenty of who people want. I am just looking for who would fit us and the D.
I may do this same type of thread later for secondary.

Another fit at DE that I haven't seen mentioned is Basham.

Agree with Parsons and Collins at linebacker, with Collins most likely available at #18. If Miami wants Parsons, not sure he gets out of top 10.

Back
Top Bottom