EDGE and LBs: Best scheme fit | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

EDGE and LBs: Best scheme fit

You overdraft a de who lacks outside shoulder win you gonna end up with a Shaq Lawson. Who think that was will be has been ever been worth a top 20 pick? Hell for that matter a top 50 pick even.

lead candidates for it this year are Rousseau and basham. Bashams a thumper but he can’t do squat with a tackle on the edge in terms of outside shoulder. Base de overdraft candidate.

the browning kid I haven’t seen anything that says he can do anything with a tackle on the edge. So imo that pass rush vs a front will have to highly games driven. Probably safer to make him a full time strong side off ball backer in a scheme that plays to it. Collins at least has that shoulder dip off the edge vs a tackle and carries 260 on a 6 foot 4 frame.

paye looks like a wide 9 43 de ideal fit to me. Needs space to gather momentum before he reaches the tackle.

ossai good all around pass rush is extremely raw 34 olb ojulari 34 olb probably 10 yard box type has some stiffness at the top of his rush. Oweh raw as hell edge. Can’t find the football a lot loses vision on the football too much and looks largely like he has no plan with the pass rush. Maybe in 2 years you got something there let someone else do the work and you reap the benefits on the second contract if he shows it. Pick 18 hell no

I'm glad you mentioned Seiler. He's done nothing but exceed expectations since coming to Miami. I think he is such a hustler that he can be effective inside and outside on the Defensive Line.

I'm falling in love with Collins on film.
That could be part of Miami's thinking too. If they can get some pass rush elsewhere, they may just go big, run first at DE opposite Ogbah.

Is Basham a good fit? Where is he being projected-
36 seems a little early for him, could 50 be a good spot? Do we want to wait it out till 50 to try to snag Basham if that's a guy we like?
EDIT: Just saw CBS latest 2 round mock has Basham going to Baltimore in the 20s. Hmmm...
That's a good mock. He's a perfect fit for Baltimore IMO, although 20's seem a little high. I know he was dominating every offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl and he's relentless. Not the upside of some of the others, but probably a higher floor than most of the DE's in this class. Baltimore definitely is the team to watch, but if he makes it past the Ravens maybe pick #36.

Off ball - Parsons and Collins, Davis to a lesser extent

Edge LB - Ojulari, Oweh, Tryon, E Smith

DE - Barmore, Paye, Basham, Sample

NT- Brown
The more I watch Collins, I think he could start inside or on the edge. Fantastic talent. He can drop, rush the edge, set the edge, etc. I bet Flo loves him. He could be a star inside or outside.

Unfortunately you do have a Shaq Lawson roll replacement need which means you absolutely have to worry about Miami overdrafting it. Just like you might have a 34 olb edge need for the rotation but as long as you draft something with outside shoulder win vs a tackle Id be ok with that. Something that projects like it can sack the qb 8 times per year or more tools wise. Ossai for my money given the pick investment he will require is too raw witb the pass rush which is why I’d be paying the premium price in the first place for the player.

He could be your pass rush OLB on the weak side, but I think he is more valuable on the strong side. On the strong side he can hold up against the run, drop into coverage or rush the passer. He gets to use more of his talents on the strong side. Collins

The more I watch Collins, I think he could start inside or on the edge. Fantastic talent. He can drop, rush the edge, set the edge, etc. I bet Flo loves him. He could be a star inside or outside.

Id be willing to bet he will fail as a full time 34 olb or as a full time off ball lb. I might concede inside full time in the right scheme but not on the edge as a 34 olb. Nah. His off ball lb instincts inside the tackles are more strong than Mike. But that could just need time/scheme change.

safest bet kvn role

If they are swinging for the fences they will draft oweh and hope like hell that he develops a plan as a pass rusher and that his football iq catches up with his athletic gifts. Cause right now he only plays to it on tape here in bits and pieces.

but if he does in a few years you will be trying to lock him up long term vs some no outside shoulder win run of the mill jag base de edge setter you overdrafted.

That's a good mock. He's a perfect fit for Baltimore IMO, although 20's seem a little high. I know he was dominating every offensive lineman at the Senior Bowl and he's relentless. Not the upside of some of the others, but probably a higher floor than most of the DE's in this class. Baltimore definitely is the team to watch, but if he makes it past the Ravens maybe pick #36.

It has us taking Pitts then Phillips at #18

I would very much like that draft. IMO the concussion concerns are over stated
Phillips played 11 games and not a single problem with it at all.

I really see three guys who are outstanding scheme fits for this team:

1. Jaelan Phillips - DE/OLB who is versatile, high motor, good pass rush, aggressive tackler, and despite the red flags is my #1 edge prospect in this draft.

2. Zaven Collins - OLB/MLB/DE who is just a pure football player with the flexibility to dominate at any and all LB spots, but is big enough (6'4, muscular with wide shoulders and hips and decently long arms) and just enough quickness and speed to be effective as a pass rushers and set the edge as an OLB and DE. He reads the game exceptionally well and is a vastly underrated linebacker who will be a better pro than many prospects with superior athletics. Really a phenomenal fit with no red flags and almost guaranteed success at a high level. He is a Brian Urlacher in coverage, as one of the best in the draft at coverage. He's a great run defender, and can rush effectively too. This guy is a unicorn, and if he had quicker/faster times, he'd be a top 3 prospect in this draft. As it is, he's a good but not elite athlete, which means we have a shot at getting him, and he'll be a dynamite NFL player.

3. Charles Snowden - OLB/DE who is long (6'6), quick and fast, but not elite speed, and needs to bulk up. As our friend @SF Dolphin Fan says, Snowden "has a basketball body" and will need more muscle mass for the NFL. He also had an injury that made him miss most of the 2021 season just as he was poised to really make a breakthrough. He's athletic, big, very smart, doggedly hard working, long, effective pass rusher, tenacious tackler, relentless pursuer, and phenomenal team player. His combo of athletic profile, mental mindset, and production make him a fantastic prospect. Because he needs to bulk up and is coming off an injury, I suspect he'll be pushed down to round 3 or possibly 4, but the kid has 1st round talent and is an ideal scheme fit both above and below the neck.

Honestly, I think this draft should be about surrounding Tua with talent, and using pick #6 and one of our 2nd rounders to get him a WR#1 and an OL would do that nicely. Maybe one other pick as well. But, if I had my choice, I'd take Jaelan Phillips at #18 (or with a trade-down to some spot between #18 and #36), and find a way to grab Charles Snowden in round 3. If we could add Zaven Collins instead of one of those guys, that would be great too. But if we could snag all 3, that would be a fantastic draft.

This is not a good edge draft. There are very few good scheme fits in this draft. For me, these three guys represent home-run picks and cornerstone defenders for Coach Flo's defense. We created a crater-sized hole when we moved on from both Kyle Van Noy AND Shaq Lawson, so we must use one of our top 3 picks on an edge rusher, and my vote is the #18 pick. Later in the draft we'd be wise to pick up one more edge guy, and Snowden is my clear choice. Most of you aren't familiar with Charles Snowden yet .... but in a few years I think you will be.

It has us taking Pitts then Phillips at #18

I would very much like that draft. IMO the concussion concerns are over stated
Phillips played 11 games and not a single problem with it at all.
I have to admit that I need to adjust my thinking in regards to the NFL. We talk sometimes about long-term solutions, when that's not the league anymore. With the exception of quarterbacks and a couple of star players, the turnover is about a four year cycle. No team can keep all the talent they would like to keep.

So, to get to the point. If Phillips gives you three or four good years, that may be worth it.

probably will. Cause they are incompetent when it comes to draft asset value use frankly lol
If Miami ends up taking Parsons that could work, at least temporarily. I think Miami will take a swing at one of the DE's, though, probably fairly early.

Based on last year, when Grier went high upside early, perhaps Oweh is an early target. I've seen him mocked now in the top 20, which I think is probably likely.

I just watched Snowden for the first time. He definitely has potential as an edge player in our scheme.

The thing I love about Collins is I could see him playing inside or outside, literally moving all around on our defense. He's a defensive CORNERSTONE type player. I'm guessing our staff loves all the ways they could use him.

Back
Top Bottom