Edge at 36 overall? Buyer beware of these two University of Miami products | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Edge at 36 overall? Buyer beware of these two University of Miami products

Jaelan Phillips fits our defense to a T. By jettisoning both Kyle Van Noy AND Shaq Lawson we put ourselves right back into the precarious position of lacking pass rushers on a defense predicated on takeaways that come as a result of a fierce pass rush and a team that is built around protecting a lead generated by that defense. House of cards falls down without those pass rushers, and Andrew Van Ginkel can only man one of those spots, so we need another starter and one reserve to cover for injuries and rotations. One of those top three picks of ours (#6, #18, and #36) must go to a hybrid edge rusher. They'll all surely be gone by the time our #50 pick comes around, so back half of round 1 or early round 2 is our only shot for an effective, instant-starting edge. Then I'm wholly on board with drafting a developmental guy like UVa's OLB/DE Charles Snowden, who at 6'6 with speed, quickness, agility, tackling, motor and great smarts will be a dynamite prospect once he heals up and bulks up a bit.

Jaelan Phillips needs to be on our radar at #18, and if he's not the pick, then it kinda needs to be Zaven Collins, who is the other guy who can fill this role for us right away.
I think you are spot on with Phillips talent wise.

I'm just having a hard time looking past the concussions with Phillips. He's already retired from the sport once.

But, yes, I think Miami will have to take a chance on one of the edge rushers.

My pick might be Basham or Oweh. Basham was dominating every offensive lineman he faced at the Senior Bowl. He's more power player, run stopper than pure pass rusher, though.

Oweh is raw and might not contribute much year one, but it's like a baseball pitcher with a 100 mph fastball. Oweh has the speed and explosion that can't be taught.

Last edited:
Rousseau, looks super clunky.
Jaelon Phillips, is not going to be drafted by anyone in any round.
It really sucks about Phillips; he looked amazing on pro day.

Last edited:
What is your take on Rousseau? Why the concerns? He has got those long levers and you might be able to get a great value. If he played another year or two he could be a top five talent and you could get him at 18.
Emphasis on "could". He hasn't really done that much as yet and his pro day showed him to not be an exceptional athlete. So my question would be why? I know it's not a great edge class but why not gamble on Philips' concussion problem being temporary rather than on Rousseau turning into something much more than he's shown? I use that as an example, I wouldn't draft either of them. I don't see the point of spending a high pick on Rousseau. Take one of Ojulari, Ossai or Onwuzurike and be happy.

Jaelan Phillips fits our defense to a T. By jettisoning both Kyle Van Noy AND Shaq Lawson we put ourselves right back into the precarious position of lacking pass rushers on a defense predicated on takeaways that come as a result of a fierce pass rush and a team that is built around protecting a lead generated by that defense. House of cards falls down without those pass rushers, and Andrew Van Ginkel can only man one of those spots, so we need another starter and one reserve to cover for injuries and rotations. One of those top three picks of ours (#6, #18, and #36) must go to a hybrid edge rusher. They'll all surely be gone by the time our #50 pick comes around, so back half of round 1 or early round 2 is our only shot for an effective, instant-starting edge. Then I'm wholly on board with drafting a developmental guy like UVa's OLB/DE Charles Snowden, who at 6'6 with speed, quickness, agility, tackling, motor and great smarts will be a dynamite prospect once he heals up and bulks up a bit.

Jaelan Phillips needs to be on our radar at #18, and if he's not the pick, then it kinda needs to be Zaven Collins, who is the other guy who can fill this role for us right away.
Great post. Phillips was one of the top recruits in the country out of high school. That’s always something interesting to look at.

Recall that Charles Harris was a two star recruit who was kind of a last minute addition to the Missouri class that year.

The only thing with Phillips, I thought he was projected higher than the 18 zone. If it’s true he could come down to 18, he seems like a very good pick for Miami.

Great post. Phillips was one of the top recruits in the country out of high school. That’s always something interesting to look at.

Recall that Charles Harris was a two star recruit who was kind of a last minute addition to the Missouri class that year.

The only thing with Phillips, I thought he was projected higher than the 18 zone. If it’s true he could come down to 18, he seems like a very good pick for Miami.

I would pull the trigger but I am a fan of his to be sure.
Came to Miami at 225 after being out of football for a year and bulked up to 260 all muscle
He is gonna be a good player for someone and if that's the Fin then great.

Came to Miami at 225 after being out of football for a year and bulked up to 260 all muscle
I go back and forth, honestly. When I feel optimistic I'd take him at 18 also.

Good points. 4.56 at 260 lbs is no joke. I guess we have to rely on the doctors. If they are optimistic he looks ideal on the field.

I’m still not as down on Rousseau as others. I think he ran a 4.69 so he’s not as explosive as Phillips. I agree that extra tick of explosiveness could be the difference between a sack or not. But he’s still got that 6’7 wingspan and he was productive. It might not look as beautiful but some athletes make plays even if they look arthritic. I can’t ignore 15.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman.

Good points. 4.56 at 260 lbs is no joke. I guess we have to rely on the doctors. If they are optimistic he looks ideal on the field.

I’m still not as down on Rousseau as others. I think he ran a 4.69 so he’s not as explosive as Phillips. I agree that extra tick of explosiveness could be the difference between a sack or not. But he’s still got that 6’7 wingspan and he was productive. It might not look as beautiful but some athletes make plays even if they look arthritic. I can’t ignore 15.5 sacks as a redshirt freshman.
Harder to rely on doctors for concussion risk than orthopedic risk. I'm sure his CT/MRI/PET scans look fine now, but it's not very predictive. But if lucky we, or some team's getting a top 10 talent at an important position in the back half of the first.

Bucky Brooks on NFL.COM thinks Phillips is the best Edge in the draft..despite concussion and injury concerns!

Here's the article:

He also claims Mac Jones is not "super hero" enough to get a first round grade from him and that Rashod Batemen is the next Justin Jefferson, to him!

Back
Top Bottom