Edge at 36 overall? Buyer beware of these two University of Miami products | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Edge at 36 overall? Buyer beware of these two University of Miami products

It's definitely a mistake to pass on defensive players that are better just to reach for an Edge player. We replaced Lawson with Scarlett and there are still FA we could go after. If we pass on players like Parsons (LB) (Penn State) or
Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (LB/SS) (Notre Dame) to reach for an edge it will be very disappointing.
There are a lot of ways to generate a pass rush, in fact having attended over 30 years of coaching clinics, Brian (Bill) Belichick has always preferred building his offense and defense from the middle out. He did it with the Browns and he has done it with the Patriots. When he speaks at clinics he has mentioned this more than once. Our scheme is his scheme. We need to draft the best football players over positional need because there are many ways to use superior talent to generate pressure from all the angles. We can do with scheme what you can't do with a lack of talent at a "need position"...
Agreed..but I think you meant Bill, bro, No worries.

I think that pass rusher is perhaps the highest risk position to draft. Occasionally teams get lucky but more often relatively high draft picks are invested in duds (cough Dion Jordan, cough Charles Harris...).
I think that it is likely that we use either the #18 pick or one of the two 2nd round picks on a pass rusher. Kwity Paye from Michigan is a serious consideration for the #18 pick if he is still on the board. But the player who interests me most is Jaelen Phillips from the University of Miami, who sounds like a potential athletic freak. High upside - high risk.
It will be interesting to see the level of risk that Chris Grier and Coach Flo are prepared to take.

I think that pass rusher is perhaps the highest risk position to draft. Occasionally teams get lucky but more often relatively high draft picks are invested in duds (cough Dion Jordan, cough Charles Harris...).
I think that it is likely that we use either the #18 pick or one of the two 2nd round picks on a pass rusher. Kwity Paye from Michigan is a serious consideration for the #18 pick if he is still on the board. But the player who interests me most is Jaelen Phillips from the University of Miami, who sounds like a potential athletic freak. High upside - high risk.
It will be interesting to see the level of risk that Chris Grier and Coach Flo are prepared to take.
If history repeats itself..they may be wiling to risk A LOT!

18 sounds good to me

If he had more than one season playing DE , actually only 8 games that he started top 10 for sure
He was a safety and WR in high school remember and did not get the best coaching at the U IMO

That's the exciting thing with him, can you imagine if Miami took him, and Coach Flores got his mitts on him?

Taylor...Wake...Rousseau

I would not mind that at all.

I think one of the most important selections we make this year will be our drafting of our Edge rusher (s). We added Scarlett and he will likely be similar to what we got out of Lawsen last year, but we really need to hit a homerun with our Edge selection in order to improve an already dynamic defense. If we could land a rookie that can put together a 10 sack or more season, it would be the most significant improvement we could make to our defense.

I think one of the signs of a potential bust is a player that couldn't stay heathy in college or that didn't produce much. It seems like those types often don't pan out with the rigors the NFL presents. I find this to be particularly true at the Edge position.
There are a couple of the top ranked Edge rushers from University of Miami that I'd like to see us pass on unless we have a chance to select them AFTER our top 3 selections (not likely as they are both probably going in the top 30-40).

Rousseau addressed the concerns of his limited experience when he did a Zoom media session following the UM Pro Day this week.

"I don’t have a lot film, but I feel like I showed a lot in the time that I did play, my redshirt freshman year," Rousseau said. "I feel like I proved a lot. I also feel like I’m a very versatile athlete and I fit into a lot of schemes and I’m just going to be somebody who’s hard working from Day 1. I’m ready to get to the next level."

As for Phillips, the issue are a series of injuries that derailed his career after he started off at UCLA. Phillips even quit football after a second concussion ended his 2018 season at UCLA after he earlier had sustained a high ankle sprain and a severe wrist injury in a moped accident.

After sitting out a year
, Phillips became a force at UM last year, finishing with eight sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss.

Like Rousseau, Phillips put on a show of rare athleticism at the UM Pro Day, even topping what Rousseau did.

He then downplayed concerns about his injury history.

We can't draft a Charles Harris with this pick if we want to ensure winning more than 10 games this year. We need players that can stay on the field at WR and on the Edge. We need players that can make plays consistently. I don't want to see us gamble on athletes who can't stay healthy or that haven't proven they can do the job we are drafting them for. I'd much rather look at the kids from Michigan, Georgia, or Penn State IF they meet the criteria for staying healthy and having consistent production.
Phillips is a monster As close to a can’t miss DE as you are gonna get Rousseau may have an even higher ceiling but question marks because of his lack of actual snaps played. Phillips is exactly the guy we need but he ain’t lasting until 18 anyways

Wow. The newest Mock has a rush for QB's early in the draft and then the Bengals drafting WR Chase. I'd love to see us Draft Pitts at 6 and then land Parsons at 18. Amazing possibilities! We could go Edge at 36 and then RB at 50, Center in Round 3.
Wow indeed. Assuming Parsons won't threaten to rape anyone in the locker room, him and Pitts would be an amazing influx of size/speed/athleticism/talent/playmaking for the team.

Looking at a lot of these guys, another plausible move is to get Joe Tryon at 36. I think he fits that edge mold for us. In that case, who knows maybe we just snag Najee at 18. Or maybe we trade down a tad from 18 and try to fill a couple of mid round picks in the fourth and fifth. Don’t rule out Etienne in the 20s on a trade down. There is a chasm between picks between 81 and 156 or whatever the precise numbers are. That will come down to whether they were excited by some guys falling in that range in the senior bowl.

I think one of the most important selections we make this year will be our drafting of our Edge rusher (s). We added Scarlett and he will likely be similar to what we got out of Lawsen last year, but we really need to hit a homerun with our Edge selection in order to improve an already dynamic defense. If we could land a rookie that can put together a 10 sack or more season, it would be the most significant improvement we could make to our defense.

I think one of the signs of a potential bust is a player that couldn't stay heathy in college or that didn't produce much. It seems like those types often don't pan out with the rigors the NFL presents. I find this to be particularly true at the Edge position.
There are a couple of the top ranked Edge rushers from University of Miami that I'd like to see us pass on unless we have a chance to select them AFTER our top 3 selections (not likely as they are both probably going in the top 30-40).

Rousseau addressed the concerns of his limited experience when he did a Zoom media session following the UM Pro Day this week.

"I don’t have a lot film, but I feel like I showed a lot in the time that I did play, my redshirt freshman year," Rousseau said. "I feel like I proved a lot. I also feel like I’m a very versatile athlete and I fit into a lot of schemes and I’m just going to be somebody who’s hard working from Day 1. I’m ready to get to the next level."

As for Phillips, the issue are a series of injuries that derailed his career after he started off at UCLA. Phillips even quit football after a second concussion ended his 2018 season at UCLA after he earlier had sustained a high ankle sprain and a severe wrist injury in a moped accident.

After sitting out a year
, Phillips became a force at UM last year, finishing with eight sacks and 15.5 tackles for loss.

Like Rousseau, Phillips put on a show of rare athleticism at the UM Pro Day, even topping what Rousseau did.

He then downplayed concerns about his injury history.

We can't draft a Charles Harris with this pick if we want to ensure winning more than 10 games this year. We need players that can stay on the field at WR and on the Edge. We need players that can make plays consistently. I don't want to see us gamble on athletes who can't stay healthy or that haven't proven they can do the job we are drafting them for. I'd much rather look at the kids from Michigan, Georgia, or Penn State IF they meet the criteria for staying healthy and having consistent production.
Yeah, hard pass for me. I’m going heavy on the offense in this draft

Not that Mock drafts contain any substance nor does draft worth projections as weve all witnessed first hand; having said that the big 3 RBs Harris, Etienne and Williams are projected to be gone by pick 40. No Mock or Draft analysis has one of those 3 going to 50.
Again, take from that what you will but I want 1 one of those 3!

Back
Top Bottom