Edmunds Vs. Smith | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Edmunds Vs. Smith

depending on what team they go to, Smith will have the best rookie year but Edmunds might have the best career. Academic cause Edmunds will most likely be gone and Smith is probably gone too but I like other LB's in the 3rd round and Leonard is one of them

So when "bigger" LBs get injured, it is not because of their size? But when "smaller" LBs get injured, it IS because of their size?

How many LBs have never been injured in the course of playing that retired from the NFL in perfect health?

You go get the player who has the best MLB skill set, INCLUDING intangibles. Intangibles can't be coached ladies. You can't make followers lead. And you can't teach instincts.

Smith by a mile.

The logic used in these discussions.... only for the sake of argument.

Edmunds, but I'd be happy with either.
With you here, for his size, Edmunds is so quick and Smith seems a little undersize....but would be happy with either as well.

So when "bigger" LBs get injured, it is not because of their size? But when "smaller" LBs get injured, it IS because of their size?

How many LBs have never been injured in the course of playing that retired from the NFL in perfect health?

You go get the player who has the best MLB skill set, INCLUDING intangibles. Intangibles can't be coached ladies. You can't make followers lead. And you can't teach instincts.

Smith by a mile.

The logic used in these discussions.... only for the sake of argument.
I don’t claim to be an expert. I am only trying to learn and become a better educated fan.

I may be wrong in assuming that there is a relationship between size and injury severity. Honestly I only mentioned that as an accompanying thought. It wasn’t the premise of my argument or really much of a factor. It came to me as I was writing my response

In my opinion, the size issue has more to do with being able to hold up at the point of attack. I have a ton of respect for the undersized LBs I mentioned, especially Shazier. I honestly think the prototypical LB is becoming outdated in today’s NFL.

Rewatched Edwards game against the Canes and he had very little impact and did not diagnose plays very well. He is young and his football IQ is not very good yet.
His coverage skills are mediocre. Too much like Dion Jordan to be picked this high.

If Smith is gone they should trade back.

Smith looks like a Cannon on the field.Reminds me of the LB for the Falcons...Deon Jones

Of the 2 players Smith is more ready for NFL play. Let Edmunds go somewhere, learn his trade and then bring him home to Miami at age 24 on his second contract.

Not a hard decision really. All the scouts have these two rated 1/2.
So you support the legacy pledge.

I'd say Smith for playing in the SEC, the toughest college division. He played against other fast, tough opponets.

But IF we had the right coaches, we could teach Edmund's to develop his freakishly athletic abilities.

I just hope both of them do not become Dion Jordan 2.0

I like Edmunds overall, but what scares me about him is he needs to goto a team that has a plan for him and can mold him. Im afraid out inexperienced defensive staff may no be able to provide what he needs. Which is why i think Smith is safer for us to plug and play

And the case for Smith is that he is the more modern style of LB with a ton more speed, and good coverage skills. Also much smaller than typical (230 vs 240-260) but we have seen smaller LBs play big roles like Kuechly and Shazier, although injuries are an issue for both all star players.

In Shazier's defense, though, injuries weren't a concern with him until one freak play.

Obviously I prefer Edmunds, but would not cry if we took Smith. Both are talented, and would be great 1st round picks.

Sounds like Smith would need less coaching and development, and if that's the case I'm going with him. If I had confidence that we'd have the ability to properly coach and develop him I'd say Edmunds, but I don't, so I say Smith.

Back
Top Bottom