Egnew Vs Gesicki | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egnew Vs Gesicki

I agree that Gesicki isnt Egnew. But Grier did draft Ballage. An exact replica of Egnew at the RB position...

Gotcha - not knowing about Ballage myself i'll have to take your word for it.

Edit: Both posts to show correct name, courtesy of circumstances

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying I was happy we picked up Gesicki. but looking at their scouting combine info there is a lot of similarities between the 2. So i am wondering why we believe Gesicki will end up more like a Jimmy Graham and not a Mike Egnew?

because speed and athleticism doesn't = talent?

What round was Egnew drafted in and was he a top 3 TE prospect coming into that draft like Gesicki was?

I agree that Gesicki isnt Egnew. But Grier did draft Kallage. An exact replica of Egnew at the RB position...
Are you basing this on reading reports on him being "contact averse"? Or have you actually done your own digging on him?

Because in the few game clips I've seen of his, it doesn't look as dramatic as everyone seems to believe it is.

The thing that jumps out at me about Gesicki's highlight tapes is the way he anticipates the ball and jumps right at the right time to high point the ball. His volleyball experience makes him unique and seems to really help his game. Given the rest of his attributes, I'm excited to see what he can do in the NFL.

On top of his great concentration, and hands (Has not dropped a pass since early in college), he is also a very impressive route runner...something Egnew never mastered.

Defensive players will 1st have to try and stick with him, then try to disrupt him from finding the ball, and finally out jump him.

Put a DB on him, and though he might stick with him, he will not disrupt his concentration or out jump him, put a LB on him, and good luck with the LB actually sticking with him.

These are issue defenses did not have to worry about with Egnew.

Are you basing this on reading reports on him being "contact averse"? Or have you actually done your own digging on him?

Because in the few game clips I've seen of his, it doesn't look as dramatic as everyone seems to believe it is.
That is because you're watching highlights. Highlights are exactly that. Their best plays. He is a big running back. Of course he is going to have some highlights of him running with power. I also base it on him not working which has been the rumblings forever out of ASU. Big reason he was supplanted as the starter. Didnt work and didnt hit the holes. He didn't want it bad enough at ASU. Egnew could care less about being great at football.

After last season, IMO, this is the time to be the derivative definition of "fan" which includes enthusiastic optimism from "fanatic." There's plenty of time to have dreams dashed and parades rained on. Now is not the time.

I've finally come to realize that there are people whose default for whatever reason is predisposed to negativity and misery and that transcends what they bring to FH. However unlike the cliche: misery really does not love company!!!!!!! I think most of us would rather see what's undeniably a positive draft as being a glass 2/3rds full instead of 2/3rds empty until proven otherwise!

On top of his great concentration, and hands (Has not dropped a pass since early in college), he is also a very impressive route runner...something Egnew never mastered.

To me, this is the biggest difference on field between the two. Egnew had no clue what so ever how to leverage coverage in his favor. I love the way Gesicki does this. You can see Gesicki do the little things in route running like slight press to the outside on a seam route. Its impressive.

Last edited:
Why do we think Minkah Fitzpatrick will end up as a Brock Marion instead of a Jason Allen? You can be a negative nancy all you want, but it comes down to trusting this team’s talent evaluators and coaching staff. Personally, I trust Gase as a coach, so I think Gesecki will do fine.

I don’t get the constant comparisons to failed draft picks. It must be exhausting being so pessimistic all the time.

Well, we do root for a franchise that ranks pretty high in futility over the past fifteen years.

Obviously the Egnew fears came from the belief that Gesecki can't block, which is the thing that stood out with Egnew based on Hard Knocks. Of course, I imagine Egnew had many other problems than just blocking as he never amounted to anything. Maybe it's the same thing with Gesecki, but seems to have been worth taking a shot on him.

The Fitzpatrick to Allen comparisons seem pretty silly. I don't recall anyone saying that Allen was arguably the best player in the entire draft or even in the top five. If Fitzpatrick turns into a bust, that's a lot of people, not just our scouts, who will have turned out to have been dead wrong. I imagine there were a decent amount of people that thought Allen would be at most a servicable defensive back, which is kind of what he turned out to be.

Back
Top Bottom