Egregious? We will see.... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Egregious? We will see....

Jaydog57

Crank Yanker
Reaction score
So this week this guy does his fav's and we made his list at #3(yippee). Still said if we hadn't gotten Ricky that signing Jay would have been a mistake, but we will see......

Kamla Unfiltered: Offseason Winners

by Rick Kamla - Senior Editor, Fanball.com
Friday, July 5, 2002

Before praising the winners from the 2002 offseason, I must remind “the mess†that I did not consider defense when creating this list. As most of you know by now, I don’t do defense.

10. Seattle Seahawks: The Seahawks did what the Bears and Redskins should have done -- sign Trent Dilfer to a long-term contract. No, he isn’t Joe Montana, but Dilfer is a proven winner with statistical upside in this offense. To the surprise of no one, Mike Holmgren ignored Ricky Watters and handed the full-time gig to Shaun Alexander. Like he had a choice? No longer forced to look over his shoulder, Alexander should rage in 2002. By all accounts, the team has gotten a great offseason from Koren Robinson, whose rapid maturation could make Dilfer a fantasy starter. I thought Holmgren made a mistake when he passed on tight end Daniel Graham (so he could trade down and pick up another second-round pick), but Jerramy Stevens is a talent who will help this team if he can keep John Law at arm’s length.

9. Cleveland Browns: Two words: Will Green. Get to know Will Green. You’re gonna like Will Green. Will Green is going to become the first 1,000-yard rusher in Cleveland since Mack and Byner did it in 1985. Will Green’s presence will enable Tim Couch to finally realize his talent. Will Green should take the 2002 Browns to the playoffs. Will Green shall win Rookie of the Year. The Browns would be higher on this list if they had upgraded their No. 2 wide receiver. That said, I can see the logic in sticking with second-year man Quincy Morgan, who has the size (6-1, 209) and talent to become a stud.

8. Arizona Cardinals: Is it just me, or are the Cardinals turning the corner? Admittedly, they’d already be there if owner Bill Bidwell hadn’t been driving in the slow lane all those years, but they are coming around nonetheless. I know this because they picked up Freddie Jones, their first legitimate tight end since moving from St. Louis to Phoenix. Jones will not only bail out Jake Plummer (who has added 20 pounds of weight), he will avert attention from David Boston (who reportedly is out of trouble with the law). On an unrelated note, Thomas Jones (who is 11 pounds buffer but just as quick) becomes the full-time workhorse following Michael Pittman’s migration to Tampa. All signs point to a breakout year from this talented, young offense -- despite the fact Frank Sanders remains their No. 2 wide receiver.

7. New Orleans Saints: Some may think the loss of Ricky Williams is a bad thing, but not when you have Deuce McAllister waiting in the wings, not when Ricky nets you first- and third-round picks (and the third can become a first if he rushes for 1,500 yards this year), and not when you make life easier on head coach Jim Haslett, who never saw eye-to-eye with the former Heisman winner. Continuing their house cleaning, the Saints shipped out Jeff Blake, Albert Connell, Cam Cleeland, and Willie Roaf. I wasn’t crazy about their decision to pay the overrated Jerome Pathon $10 million over four years, but drafting future star Donte Stallworth, signing Pro Bowl tight end David Sloan, and re-signing John Carney more than compensated for that gaffe. Lastly, after former general manager Randy Mueller failed to fulfill a promise to Joe Horn, causing a scorned and underpaid Horn to publicly consider a holdout, Mueller was fired and the organization subsequently talked its! star receiver off the ledge.

6. San Francisco 49ers: The Niners had two priorities entering the 2002 offseason: Keeping the league’s top rushing attack intact and getting head coach Steve Mariucci and superstar Terrell Owens on the same page. Done and done. Early in the free agency period, the Niners re-signed Garrison Hearst, Fred Beasley, and center Jeremy Newberry. Soon thereafter Mariucci and Owens reportedly had a positive meeting about their differences as well as how to move forward as a cohesive unit. Now, Mooch and staff are working OT to find new ways to get TO the ball. It’s highly uncool that J.J. Stokes is still around to drag the plow on passing downs, but drafting Florida kicker Jeff Chandler to compete with Jose “The Fantasy Killer†Cortez placated me to a certain degree.

5. Tennessee Titans: When a workhorse averages 346 carries over his first six years, it’s pretty clear he is the focal point of his team’s offense. As such, it’s no coincidence that the 2001 Titans endured a disappointing season because said workhorse played between 50-75 percent for 16 games. Of course, I’m talking about Eddie George, who is back to full strength and primed for a massive comeback season. A healthy Eddie means a healthy offense, especially now that Steve McNair (also healthier than he has been in a couple years) has developed chemistry with his wide receivers. If their plan comes to fruition, the Titans will have true offensive balance for the first time since Warren Moon and Gary Brown powered the Oilers. More good news for George was the signing of fullback Greg Comella, who will pave the way and absorb blows for Tennessee’s workhorse.

4. Minnesota Vikings: If repairing relations between Mariucci and Owens was important in San Francisco, getting Randy Moss to think and act like a team player was absolutely imperative in Minnesota. Exit Dennis Green, offensive coordinator Sherman Lewis, and Cris Carter; enter a new Moss. For the first time in his career, Moss spent most of the offseason in Minnesota, getting to know new offensive coordinator Scott Linehan and continuing his positive relationship with new head coach Mike Tice. Moss is smiling and leading because Carter is no longer ruining the locker room, and the Vikings want 40 percent of their passes to go his way. The other 60 percent will be split largely by former-Chief Derrick Alexander and re-signed Pro Bowler Byron Chamberlain. Moss, Alexander, and Chamberlain give Daunte Culpepper (who is fully recovered from knee surgery) one of the elite receiving trios in the league. Throw in an upgrade at kicker (Doug Brien over Gary Anderson) and ! it has been a great offseason for the Vikes.

3. Miami Dolphins: If the Fish hadn’t traded for Ricky Williams and hired offensive coordinator Norv Turner, they would have been in last week’s piece on offseason losers. Why? They re-signed Jay Fiedler to the tune of $25 million over five years!?! That’s not quite as bad as giving $28 million to Marty Booker, but it is one of the most egregious overpays of the offseason. That fact notwithstanding, the influence Ricky and Norv have on this offense will be dramatic. Thanks to the slothful Lamar Smith and a battered offensive line, the Dolphins ranked 23rd with 104 rushing yards per game in ’01. If the line improves and Ricky and Norv keep on keeping on, the Fish will have a top-10 ground game and the sparkling record that goes along with it.

2. Buffalo Bills: The Dolphins did well in reeling in Ricky, but the Bills did very well in acquiring Drew Bledsoe from the Pats for a first-round pick. Bledsoe stabilizes a position that has been mired in quicksand since Jim Kelly retired. Presuming the revamped offensive line gels as quickly as expected, I cannot wait to see Bledsoe work with an aerial arsenal featuring Eric Moulds, Peerless Price, and Larry Centers. Throw in third-round pick Josh Reed and former-Buccaneer Dave Moore, and Bills passing game will have a much different look in 2002. No one is talking about the signing of former-Jaguar Mike Hollis, who takes over for Shayne Graham, but he is going to enjoy a stylish comeback this year.

1. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Where do I start? The Bucs were the biggest offseason winner, and it wasn’t even close. The most important move was replacing Tony Dungy with Jon Gruden. I have a great deal of respect for Dungy, who may take the Colts to the Super Bowl this year, but he was starting to lose the Bucs. Gruden already has their attention, and thanks to several key offseason moves, he has them poised for battle with an offense to rival the defense. Pittman replaces Warrick Dunn and saves the team $19.8 million in the process. Despite a potentially messy contract situation, the team was able to bring back Mike Alstott at a reduced rate. In the passing game, Florida failures Jacquez Green and Reidel Anthony were replaced by Keenan McCardell and Joe Jurevicius, and Moore was supplanted by tight ends Ken Dilger and Marco Battaglia. Keyshawn Johnson might even be able to breath this year. Future Hall of Fame guard Randall McDaniel retired, but the Bucs a! re deep enough to absorb the blow. Bottom line: Don’t be surprised if you see Gruden hoisting the Lombardi in January.

Rick Kamla can be reached at rkamla@fanball.com

He doesn't even realize the specifics of Fiedler's contract so how he can have an opinion of it is beyond me. If he understood the contract he would know that it was NOT a gaffe, and allows the Dolphins quite a bit of security by not paying any big money unless/until Jay proves he's worth it.

I would say that that is another GOOD move, so wouldn't that move us at least higher than the Bills? :rolleyes:

Man if I read one more article I think I am gonna puke. This is the time of year that i always get so sick of the talk, and just want to see some action.

Screw the writers.

Fiedler will only be here for two seasons, it is clear that he knows nothing about the specifics of the contract.

Originally posted by dolfan87
Man if I read one more article I think I am gonna puke. This is the time of year that i always get so sick of the talk, and just want to see some action.

Screw the writers.
Don't think Lamar liked being called "slothful" either :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom