Either Smith or nothing | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Either Smith or nothing

His Dudeness said:
and what is that exactly? dont they have new coaches, meaning we're not really sure of the system.... and why does rodgers fit it better?

San Fran is using the WCO and Rogers will be best in a WCO that depends on accuracy and timing.

I think Saban is doing a good job not "showing his hand" as far as who he wants to pick or if he wants to trade down....I know this probably frustrates a lot of Fins fans and this is why we have so much speculation and "who are drafting" threads, but I still think Nick is gonna trade down. I don't think there is much difference between Rodgers and Smith, but I think RB is a priority and IF we take someone at #2 let it be Ronnie Brown.

no one truly uses the bill walsh west coast offense, everyone uses a variation of it....

If you want to get that way about it, then you would have to look into the Coryell and Sid Gillman offense in San Diego many years ago to find the "real" West Coast Offense. When WCO is used now-a-days it often referes to an offensive system that is based a strictly timed short passing attack, used to set up opportunities to hit big plays downfield. This offense was dubbed the WCO by Parcells- in reference to Bill Walsh's offense in San Fransisco.

dolfinfan3413 said:
Well it seems like if the 49'ers get Smith we wont be drafting a QB the 1st round.

Who ever said the Dolphins were going to draft a QB early....not Saban, maybe fickled Fans. The only thing Saban said was he would look for a QB in the draft to develop....and you don't use the 2nd pick in the first round for a QB that needs to be developed. IMHO...I'd look from the 5th round to f/a.

dolfinfan3413 said:
Well it seems like if the 49'ers get Smith we wont be drafting a QB the 1st round.
would of been smith cause of that amazing workout...but rodgers had one just as equal and rodgers is favored through out college and also hes a hometown boy

Rodgers will be the pick

thepoolboy said:
Minnesota's team stats last year were as follows...

552 pass attempts for an average of 8.6 yards per attempt
387 rush attempts for an average of 4.7 yards per attempt

They may not play Marc Trestman ball but those numbers don't lie. As well, at 4.7 yards per rush, it's not as if their running game was ineffective. How this translates to Miami, I don't know, but the passing game will certainly be receiving more emphasis than in recent history. To get that done, I don't think we have the required personnel at the necessary skill positions.

387 rushing attempts is not going to cut it. That's barely 24 attempts per game. As I have posted before, 85% of NFL games are won by the team that attempts the most rushes. And don't pretend that's a case of the leading team piling up rushing attempts in the 4th quarter. Pure mythology. Chart the games, like myself and a few others who work in sports statistics do. The rushing attempts come early, by the team controlling the game and making first downs. If a game is tied at halftime yet one team has let's say 10 more rushing attempts that the other, that team is destined to win much more often than not. Makes for some pretty sweet halftime wagering.

No wonder Minnesota has not had dominating records and has blown games to inferior teams. A mere 24 rushing attempts per game is masochistic when your yards per pass attempt is outstanding.

Philly tried to pretend rushing attempts were insignificant. They had the lowest number of any team I've ever seen that made it to a Super Bowl. Fittingly, they threw it 51 times vs. NE and came up short. Plenty of those turnovers were first down throws by the Eagles.

Awsi Dooger said:
387 rushing attempts is not going to cut it. That's barely 24 attempts per game. As I have posted before, 85% of NFL games are won by the team that attempts the most rushes.

I agree.
But bare in mind that defensive performances, and whether a team is trailing, can also dictate No. of rushing attempts.
In the case of the Eagles (a top defensive team), I don't know why they threw the ball so much; they hardly ever needed to play catch up.
(Mind you their system did work, until the Superbowl game)

I would prefer a flexible offense, rather than a balanced offense: One that can run the clock, or play catch up, as and when needed.

Back
Top Bottom