ELITE secondary | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ELITE secondary

Please enough crying over the cry baby Fitzpatrick, he's so good I barely noticed him last year while our defense took off (I admit he had an uncanny amount of luck with scooped up fumbles and tipped ball INT's the year before that, it's what made his name but good luck with that every year). He didn't get with the program that's why he's not with the program.

We're finally starting to round out this secondary behind our 2 starting stud corners. The investment in Iggy will start paying off as he backs up both on the outside. We've boosted nickel play with Coleman and Holland can do that as well I hear. Jones and Holland a pair of young safeties behind experience and communication with Rowe and McCain.

We only spent 2 of our 7 picks on defense but what well placed picks I think, best pass rusher for our ameba front 7 and Flo's favorite back 7 ball hawk, they go hand in hand and should only make us more dangerous this year on that side of the ball.

2 time All Pro since traded to Pitt? Not sure how you can mock the guy...

LOL, those same sports writers won't put Zach Thomas in the HOF and I'm supposed to believe their rankings on Minkah. Truth his, he's late on coverage and doesn't like to be hit or take on RBs. Most of his turnovers are him getting the scraps from the work his teammates have done. Namely because he shy's from contact. The only reason he's an All Pro is because the narrative the media placed on him when they lambasted Miami for trading him. As a player only, he is 100% overrated.

IMO it's better to have an elite pass rush than an elite secondary. Nobody can cover their wr's if the QB has 5+ seconds to throw.

That's a fair debate. I will point out, though, this is not black and white (and I know you didn't claim what I'm going to address).
It is critical, IMO, to NOT have a bad pass rush or secondary. Top pass rush/average secondary or average pass rush/top secondary. Those are the minimums. Last year Miami had poor pass rush/top secondary.

Because we played him out of position and played McCain at FS. Which is exactly what my first comment was about.

I don’t know why people think this staff consists of DB geniuses. We truly messed up with an elite all NFL mainstay player in Minkah. Messed up with the Jones contract. Noah also didn’t play like a first rounder last year, but I am willing to give him more time.

Track record is not good at DB. At all.

Can't just nitpick the negative. McCain and Rowe had their careers salvaged under Flores. Howard just put together the season of a lifetime. Every year they seem to find guys most of us were skeptical would make the roster like Needham, Parker and Perry and get multiple quality starts out of them.

Whatever you think of the contract a player of Jones' caliber was essential to how they wanted to play last season. Howard and the defense as a whole isn't having the season it had without Jones sitting there on an island.

The Fitzpatrick saga in hindsight looks pretty bad. I think at the time Flores was in a bad spot, a rookie coach having his authority openly questioned by a player that should have been in no position to do so. Maybe things would have worked out differently if Flores was more established.

He played both safety and corner and said he didn’t want to be moved all around and wanted to stick to one position. then he got to Pittsburgh and all of a sudden he had a good year and said he doesn’t mind being moved around the defense in Pittsburgh because they move him around like a chess piece just like Miami used him lol

Yep, as far as I'm concerned Minkah is a slight head case who needs to be babied and can't make up his mind.

The mistake seems to be taking him in the first place, not the trade.

By the time Igoo and Holland enter their prime Howard and Jones will be on the decline.
Yes, hopefully Brandon Jones and Holland have the safety position locked down for 5 years or more. Hopefully Igbo develops like they expect. We need another CB. I would have been okay with drafting a top one if they fell to us.

McCain may not even be on the roster. If Holland isn’t starting I wouldn’t be surprised to see Rowe and Brandon Jones starting.
Neither can play center field. So this will not happen.

That may be true for most QB’s but if we’re talking about Josh Allen, it’s not true.

Allen will have time to throw no matter what, because he routinely makes pass rushers look stupid, even when they have a clear path to him. Teams kept trying to send people after him last year and it just wasn’t working.

IMO, the key to showing down Allen is a large secondary with tight coverage.

example of what I mean;

Disagree altogether
Yes, he’s elusive but we also haven’t the best passing rush from the fins, Pats or jets
Doesn’t mean we can’t be better and get to him once in a while and create confusion for him in the secondary

Disagree altogether
Yes, he’s elusive but we also haven’t the best passing rush from the fins, Pats or jets
Doesn’t mean we can’t be better and get to him once in a while and create confusion for him in the secondary

People seem to forget sacks aren't the only enemy of the QB. Hits and pressures count. Chasing him out of the pocket counts as well. Take ANY QB and hit him 4-5 time and it will affect his play. Makee him take 2-3 steps consistently to avoid a sack and it will affect his play. Elusiveness is a key trait of a good QB, but getting 'in his head' will affect his play. Fans have seen this in Brady for years.

Allen's sack % went from 8.0, 7.6, 4.3. Clearly Diggs helped in that department.

We had a pretty good secondary last year and we've added to it. Being able to generate a pass rush without sending the house will be key in slowing down Allen.

We passed on Jenkins...they better be elite

Good that Holland has 9 picks in 2 years because Byron and Iggy certainly aren't known as ball hawks.

You mean Iggy the former WR who's been a CB for about two years? He can't catch?

You mean Iggy the former WR who's been a CB for about two years? He can't catch?

To be fair, not being particularly dependable with your hands is a good reason to move to CB.

I don't know if he has this issue, but I wouldn't say a corner being a former WR is necessarily a glowing endorsement of their ability to make a contested catch/INT.

That is what Flo and Grier are obviously building here.

What we are working with right now

FS Holland
SS Rowe
CB Howard
CB Jones
NB Igbinoghene/Needham

Brandon Jones backups both safeties. McCain may get cut. Noah also backups the boundaries.

This is the makings of an elite secondary folks
Add to that Ogbah and Phillips making QBs sweat, while Van Ginkle, Baker, and Biegel continue to spend plenty of time on the opposition side, and X may be wondering if 20+ Ints in a season might be possible.

Back
Top Bottom