ELITE secondary | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ELITE secondary

We decided the top FS in the NFL was a slot corner and then traded him away.

We gave Byron Jones the most money ever at the position at the time and he looked merely average to above average.

We have a recent history of misusing elite talent at DB.
"As long as I'm out there, I'm going to try my best to just make plays," Fitzpatrick said during an interview on The Audible. "With this system, you have to be versatile. … To be that Pro Bowl type player, I have to be versatile and have to be able to match up with certain types of players and I have to be able to play in the box, I have to cover in the back end."

then when he actually starts playing for Miami he no longer wants to be versatile. Because he’s getting embarrassed. Gets with Pittsburgh and he wants to be versatile again. Lol basically he wanted to establish himself first, get the stats and then become “versatile” one he’s a household name so he gets pro bowls every year when he probably won’t deserve half of them.

as your question about Noah in the slot, it’s jmo based on his college stuff, I felt I saw some weaknesses on the perimeter that could be masked inside.
I agree with that. Noah is best inside because the majority of his assignment is reacting to the guy in front of him and sticking with him. He's not as effective outside with more variables in play, including whether to watch the receiver or the quarterback's eyes.

Also, on those longer routes down the sideline Noah has very poor instincts in regard to looking for the ball and finding the ball. He might technically have his guy covered but the quarterback can mostly ignore that and throw it anyway because it's a one-on-one situation with no other risk.

Everything happens quicker on the inside. Noah's lack of instincts aren't as detrimental. If he's got tight coverage on a crossing route the quarterback is likely to look elsewhere, as opposed to risking a deflected ball that lands in the lap of a safety. The shorter routes have less dispersion in terms of when the ball will arrive so Noah can watch the receiver's eye and hands to time the slap away.

Minkah Fitzpatrick is unquestionably the top FS in the NFL.
Yeah playing McCain over him was the buzz of training camp that left many of us scratching our heads. Oh well... A gazillion takeaways and TDs later it kinda shows that something was wrong relationship wise here.

then when he actually starts playing for Miami he no longer wants to be versatile. Because he’s getting embarrassed. Gets with Pittsburgh and he wants to be versatile again. Lol basically he wanted to establish himself first, get the stats and then become “versatile” one he’s a household name so he gets pro bowls every year when he probably won’t deserve half of them.
There was something toxic between him and Flo or something. Had to be.

Every elite secondary has a playmaking safety and I think we might have found one at last. this is a great breakout tape of Holland. I'm sure some might have seen this but some haven't and I recommend you watch it.

Thanks for sharing! It's a nice review. I think his conclusion about how we will use Holland in his first years is spot on. It's a big step going from college to the NFL. Guys are going to need time to develop.

Thanks for sharing! It's a nice review. I think his conclusion about how we will use Holland in his first years is spot on. It's a big step going from college to the NFL. Guys are going to need time to develop.
I can see why Flores likes him so much. There's so much you can do with him but yes, one step at a time.

I can see why Flores likes him so much. There's so much you can do with him but yes, one step at a time.
I am in the camp that believes Holland, not Williams, was our target at the top of round 2. That says a lot to me about how much we believe he can help us. I liked Williams before the draft, but I think we made the better choice by taking Holland. Yes, I do want a bull for a RB, for sure, but the role guys with Holland's skill set play on our defense are much more critical and harder to find, IMO.

I am in the camp that believes Holland, not Williams, was our target at the top of round 2. That says a lot to me about how much we believe he can help us. I liked Williams before the draft, but I think we made the better choice by taking Holland. Yes, I do want a bull for a RB, for sure, but the role guys with Holland's skill set play on our defense are much more critical and harder to find, IMO.
FWIW, I got from a very good source that holland was the player they were trying to trade back into the first round for but that the price was to high so they decided to wait for pick 36.

I agree with that. Noah is best inside because the majority of his assignment is reacting to the guy in front of him and sticking with him. He's not as effective outside with more variables in play, including whether to watch the receiver or the quarterback's eyes.

Also, on those longer routes down the sideline Noah has very poor instincts in regard to looking for the ball and finding the ball. He might technically have his guy covered but the quarterback can mostly ignore that and throw it anyway because it's a one-on-one situation with no other risk.

Everything happens quicker on the inside. Noah's lack of instincts aren't as detrimental. If he's got tight coverage on a crossing route the quarterback is likely to look elsewhere, as opposed to risking a deflected ball that lands in the lap of a safety. The shorter routes have less dispersion in terms of when the ball will arrive so Noah can watch the receiver's eye and hands to time the slap away.
Good post. And also points out why Iggy Bananas will never be X or Jones replacement unless we want to downgrade. Both of them are exceptional on the boundary.

Exactly!!! Also every one said we would take a RB and I’ve said multiple time we weren’t but people obviously don’t pay attention

What else have you said that nobody paid attention to that ended up being wrong? I’m sure there are more than a few examples.

FWIW, I got from a very good source that holland was the player they were trying to trade back into the first round for but that the price was to high so they decided to wait for pick 36.
Wow. Thats very interesting. Can u imagine finheaven if dolphins traded back up in the first and harris was still on the board and we took a safety lol.

I could see Brandon Jones and Jevon Holland turning into a very very very good back end to this defense in the next 5 years
Sooner than later i think. These 2 may end up the best finz safety tandem since the blackwood brothers. Both very young and VERY talented. I see them joined at the hip for a decade.

db27gfj-2d254fe5-2664-49e8-92e0-3644cfc4c29b.jpg

Wow. Thats very interesting. Can u imagine finheaven if dolphins traded back up in the first and harris was still on the board and we took a safety lol.
Flores knows what he wants. this is the NFL 2021 style. you win with pass offense and pass defense.

Back
Top Bottom