EPSN: page 2 Greg Eastrbrooks comment on Taylor | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

EPSN: page 2 Greg Eastrbrooks comment on Taylor

screwRickyW

Scout Team
Reaction score
Greg Easterbrook said this in his TMQ column"

"Dolphins Sack-O-Meter: Joey Harrington has been sacked less in his nine games as the Miami starter than Daunte Culpepper was sacked in his four games. As to Miami tactics, Jason Taylor has switched this season to a hybrid defensive end-linebacker position, similar to the old "elephant" role played by Charles Haley in his heyday. Taylor has been terrific, and if Miami were playoff-bound, would be a contender for defensive MVP. On Sunday, Dolphins coaches reached still further back into the past and let Taylor be a 1960s University of Michigan style "monster man," lining up wherever he pleased. New England blockers clearly could not figure out the rhyme or reason to where Taylor was, and he gave them fits all day. The reason New England blockers couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason to Taylor's movements was that there wasn't any -- Taylor was using his instinct to decide for himself where to line up on each down. Essentially, Taylor was calling his own plays. In the hyper-organized NFL, it's interesting to see that giving a top player the green light to use his instincts worked out really well."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061212

P.S. There are also some nice comment about one of our Cheerleaders

JT is not a contender for DMVP? Amazing those ESPN people.

Ryan Howard won MVP this year for the Phillies, a team that didn't make the playoffs, over World Series Champ Albert Puljos. Seems to me Baseball can get it right.

If the Dolphins dont make the playoffs, that shouldnt decide the fate of an individual, especially on the denfense. If it was for Offensive MVP, I would understand if they didn't give it to the person because his team didn't make the playoffs.

screwRickyW said:
Greg Easterbrook said this in his TMQ column"

"Dolphins Sack-O-Meter: Joey Harrington has been sacked less in his nine games as the Miami starter than Daunte Culpepper was sacked in his four games. As to Miami tactics, Jason Taylor has switched this season to a hybrid defensive end-linebacker position, similar to the old "elephant" role played by Charles Haley in his heyday. Taylor has been terrific, and if Miami were playoff-bound, would be a contender for defensive MVP. On Sunday, Dolphins coaches reached still further back into the past and let Taylor be a 1960s University of Michigan style "monster man," lining up wherever he pleased. New England blockers clearly could not figure out the rhyme or reason to where Taylor was, and he gave them fits all day. The reason New England blockers couldn't figure out the rhyme or reason to Taylor's movements was that there wasn't any -- Taylor was using his instinct to decide for himself where to line up on each down. Essentially, Taylor was calling his own plays. In the hyper-organized NFL, it's interesting to see that giving a top player the green light to use his instincts worked out really well."

Link: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=easterbrook/061212

P.S. There are also some nice comment about one of our Cheerleaders

Deadwood is outstanding. HBO sure knows hot to pick em. JT desrves the MVP regardless of the playoffs. With out him the Phins might be 2-11. Ask Nick Saban if that's not valuable. The Bama job wouldn't be a rumor then, but a necessity. A guy's gotta eat.

This thread needs to see more action. That is a terribly interesting observation Easterbook made. That kind of responsibility isn't really given to anyone in the league on the DL. I find it pretty amazing to think about.

Thats amazing that they would give him such freedom to do that. Really shows you how much confidence they have in his instincts.

My favorite quote....

"Joey Harrington has been sacked less in his nine games as the Miami starter than Daunte Culpepper was sacked in his four games."

PHINZ RULE!!!!

No worries about JT being defensive MVP. If he continues at his current pace and/ or doesn't completely hit a wall, he will win the MVP award. Playoffs or not. Jason Taylor, a defensive lineman, has single-handedly won a couple of games for his team and has all but single-handedly kept them in several others. No one defensive play stands out like that. And that's what the defensive MVP is. I think he wins it hands down.

ckparrothead said:
This thread needs to see more action. That is a terribly interesting observation Easterbook made. That kind of responsibility isn't really given to anyone in the league on the DL. I find it pretty amazing to think about.

I agree. This is interesting. And it's something that should be explored further by the Dolphins (and any team). Sometimes football can be structured to the point that it hinders some of the best players on a team (particularly on defense - offense HAS to be more structured) and prevents them from making more big plays because they are hampered by having an assignment rather than just letting his instincts take over and just play the game. On one of the semi-pro teams I played for, we had a guy named Akmer Robinson who the defensive coordinator used in such a way. This guy was all over the place making plays. He had the freedom to line up where he wanted to. He exposed weaknesses on the offenses constantly. There is no way to account for him from play to play because you don't know where he's at. It's a great idea...

An offense is so structured that it has responsibility and accountability for every play. Players are assigned to block a specific defender or in a specific zone. If the defender (J.T. in this situation) is moving all over the place, there is no way to call a play that will account for him. There is no way to realistically make line calls to account for him because he has the freedom to move at any given time, before OR DURING, a given play. This can really disrupt everything. Play exection is really disrupted because you have to make adjustments on the fly. Players spend more time thinking about where the player is and the normal second nature instincts are disrupted.
It's a great idea to have the best player on your defense be able to move around and allow his athletic abililty to dictate, or take over a game. Again, sometimes a players best assets are lost in the structured scheme. Genius idea that we'll be seeing more and more I think.

SCall13 said:
...It's a great idea to have the best player on your defense be able to move around and allow his athletic abililty to dictate, or take over a game. Again, sometimes a players best assets are lost in the structured scheme. Genius idea that we'll be seeing more and more I think.

Yes it is a great idea. Other teams will copy this only if it proves successful AND if they have the talent to execute it. JT is one of a kind.

D-Rock said:
If the Dolphins dont make the playoffs, that shouldnt decide the fate of an individual, especially on the denfense. If it was for Offensive MVP, I would understand if they didn't give it to the person because his team didn't make the playoffs.
:lol:
which is it?

Will be very interesting to see if the Fins keep allowing JT to do this, could start a trend in the NFL for any team who has someone of JT's calibur on the DL.

And I think it sucks wind that JT might not get DMVP just because we probably won't make the playoffs.

Motion said:
Thats amazing that they would give him such freedom to do that. Really shows you how much confidence they have in his instincts.

YOU CAN DO THAT WITH SUCH A GREAT PLAYER. LIKE LAWERNCE TAYLOR USED TO DO.

:wink:

It will be really cool to watch if they let him do this vs. Indy. I can see Peyton going nuts trying to change the play and JT keeps moving around. :D

Back
Top Bottom