eric berry laying the wood | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

eric berry laying the wood

omg...that dude is so damn good...i mean he is so good...he's gonna kill it at free safety....

you answered your own post...lol

I couldn't agree more,would love to have this guy!!

T.Mays can lay some lumber too, but we need a safety with great range who can cover. E.Berry is a better overall prospect, E. Thomas is the type of safety this defense needs badly though

taylor mayes??? lmao...he can't hold eric berrys jock

go watch some 2008 tape of berry and tell me that guy can't cover plenty of ground...he's got it all...

this kid is the goods...

hooshoops how long have you been a vols fan?

T.Mays can lay some lumber too, but we need a safety with great range who can cover. E.Berry is a better overall prospect, E. Thomas is the type of safety this defense needs badly though
Yea, and Berry is also an elite coverage guy with elite range. You will never find a guy like Berry in a looong time. Can defend the pass and run at an elite level, can lay the wood, can cover ground faster than anyone else, instincts/smarts.

Yea, and Berry is also an elite coverage guy with elite range. You will never find a guy like Berry in a looong time. Can defend the pass and run at an elite level, can lay the wood, can cover ground faster than anyone else, instincts/smarts.

Think you're wrong about covering ground. I think Thomas covers ground a little better and has better ball instincts. He's also better in man coverage.

I think we should have a trade up option in place in case...

a.) Eric Berry slips past 5 or 6
or
b.) Dez Bryant is still there at 9

As an example, if CLE wanted Ronnie + #12 overall to let us move up to their #7 overall pick to snag Eric Berry, that could be worth it.

Or maybe if Berry is gone but let's say Dez Bryant slips to BUF's #9 overall pick, maybe we could just jump from 12 to 9 at the cost of giving BUF Tyler Thigen and Ginn.

But those are two guys, at two critical need spots (FS and WR1) who could really benefit the team.

I wish I could mix your two scenarios. Trade Ginn to Buffalo, get Berry at 9, then watch Berry lay that little ***** out.

Eric Berry is what this team needs. A fast, physical safety. You know BP wants a safety who can lay the wood and can cover. This was a breakdown of Berry by walterfootball.com

Strengths:
Extremely productive
Highly athletic
Great initial quickness; short-range explosion
Nice recovery speed
Terrific instincts; anticipates the play
Smooth athlete
Fluid hips
Shows textbook footwork
Absolute playmaker
Can really lay the wood
Physical and violent player
Interception machine
Does a great job of reading the quarterback's eyes
Gets out of backpedal cleanly and breaks on ball
Soft hands
Good route recognition
Doesn't miss tackles
Elite range in pass coverage
Turns INTs into TDs
Aggressive against the run
Closes in on ball-carrier quickly
Scheme and position versatility (FS or SS)
Plays through pain
Elite skill set
Very intelligent
Nice work ethic
Weaknesses:
Lacks some upper body strength - can easily fix this with our training programs.
Average height - lol.Worked for Ed Reed.
Inconsistent when taking angles against the run - definitely can be fixed with good coaching.
Could perfect his backpedal as he has a tendency to get too high - Another coachable problem.
Left shoulder needs to check out medically - This could be the biggest reason we get a chance at Berry. Im sure he will be fine but some teams may not want to take a risk in the top 10 picks.

Summary: Eric Berry is an elite talent and a top-10 pick. It is as simple as that, barring injury next season. Berry is one of those few individuals where it just seems like this is what he was born to do. He is a natural on the football field with the intangibles to boot. He will also be coached by one of the best defensive coordinators of all time in Monte Kiffin who knows how to coach the strong safety position (John Lynch and Jermaine Phillips).

What really impresses me about Berry is he reportedly played all of the 2008 season with a nagging shoulder injury, which he then had surgery on in December. Berry is the No. 1 prospect in the 2010 NFL Draft, in my opinion.

Player Comparison: Ed Reed. Both players are 5-11 with a surreal knack for the game of football and have the ball skills, range, and playmaking ability you look for.

Berry is #1 on my big board but I dont see us getting a shot at him.

Think you're wrong about covering ground. I think Thomas covers ground a little better and has better ball instincts. He's also better in man coverage.
I can safely say Thomas does not cover ground better than Berry, I haven't seen anyone cover ground like Berry can in a good while. Instincts? I'd give the edge to Berry. The way he reads plays/quarterbacks and breaks to the ball is incredible. Though I do agree with Thomas being a better man defender. He can play CB as well.

I agree that is the only reason Mike Mayock has Thomas rated above Eric Berry. There has been talk that Thomas because of his size might be a better CB then a FS.

Id take Berry every day over Thomas.. He is what we need and a complete package! I would druel over him being our fs...

Back
Top Bottom