Eric Berry, McClain, D.Bryant...who should we pick at 12? | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Eric Berry, McClain, D.Bryant...who should we pick at 12?

Who should we take at 12?

• Eric Berry

Votes: 72 69.9%
  • McClain

Votes: 15 14.6%
  • Bryant

Votes: 16 15.5%

• Total voters
Berry wont be there, and I dont like the other 2 guys. I vote for nobody.

The Bucs need DT and DE before any FS. Don't see them picking Berry. CLE is in my opinion going for either CJ Spiller or Dez Bryant, but yes, they are the one team that has me thinking they can select Berry. But like I said, very possible that they don't. Either way, I won't cry if Bryant is bypassed any of those teams to select Berry. Bryant is a VERY good consolation prize. BOth are possibilities to me.

Taking a DT at number 3 that isn't Suh or McCoy is a reach, no matter what the need. It would not be a surprise if they grab a pass rusher, but keep in mind they went that down that road with Gaines Adams a few years back and lost their patience with him fairly quick.
More food for thought, Raheem Morris was Tampa's defensive backs coach before being promoted(twice) and ending up as head coach. He has shown he is not afraid to play favoritism by blowing up the roster(to get younger) yet keeping Ronde Barber and drafting Josh Freeman(whom he worked with for a season), though to be fair both those decisions don't appear to be bad.
Last year they traded a second round pick for Kellen Winslow, and tight end was hardly a pressing need after the defensive blow up, but they did so because of his talent. Pretty much everyone agree's(from "experts" to scouts to fans) that Berry is a great "blue chip" talent, and all it takes is for 1 team to choose talent over need.

You've already stated with Cleveland about Berry or Haden. Would like to add to R&R and point out they grabbed Robiskie 36th overall on top of Massaquoi(50th overall, and played pretty well all things considered).

Taking a DT at number 3 that isn't Suh or McCoy is a reach, no matter what the need. It would not be a surprise if they grab a pass rusher, but keep in mind they went that down that road with Gaines Adams a few years back and lost their patience with him fairly quick.
More food for thought, Raheem Morris was Tampa's defensive backs coach before being promoted(twice) and ending up as head coach. He has shown he is not afraid to play favoritism by blowing up the roster(to get younger) yet keeping Ronde Barber and drafting Josh Freeman(whom he worked with for a season), though to be fair both those decisions don't appear to be bad.
Last year they traded a second round pick for Kellen Winslow, and tight end was hardly a pressing need after the defensive blow up, but they did so because of his talent. Pretty much everyone agree's(from "experts" to scouts to fans) that Berry is a great "blue chip" talent, and all it takes is for 1 team to choose talent over need.

You've already stated with Cleveland about Berry or Haden. Would like to add to R&R and point out they grabbed Robiskie 36th overall on top of Massaquoi(50th overall, and played pretty well all things considered).

Winslow will relieve the letting go of Antonio Bryant in FA, because he is a go to type of TE. Yeah, I don't 'expect' them to go with Dez Bryant, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Having said that, I'd be expecting more of Odrick or Pierre-Paul at #3. That's me. Then, as far as experts are concerned...I trust more Mayock of the NFL Network...and if you listen closely, he's inching towards crowning Earl Thomas as 'better' or equal to Eric Berry.

Is Eric Berry a top 3 can't miss guy? Hmm. I don't go that far.

Plus, with a more dire need at DL, I see TB eyeing if McCoy drops to them, may even trade up for Suh, or sit there and come out with Pierre-Paul or Jeff Odrick. Of course, I'm waiting on the Combines to see if these guys improve an already high stock or not. So...

All things under consideration, even if Berry goes to CLE (very probable), if Dez is gone and Pierre-Paul is gone? I would not be shocked at hearing "Miami Dolphins select, Earl Thomas..." At #12.

I mean, Miami's dire needs are obvious: OLB, NT, FS, and WR. Then followed by ILB, RB, OG, and TE.

But there will be a good OLB and NT available at #43, so I could see Miami looking 'first' to see if Dez Bryant or Eric Berry falls to them. But if both are gone, I can very likely see us going with Earl Thomas.

Is Dan Williams that much better than Cam Thomas or Mt Cody? They may feel that he isn't and go with Earl Thomas and wait for Cam Thomas at #43 or maybe use #43 on Eric Norwood and trade up into the bottom of the 2nd round for Mt Cody...a lot of possibilities.

But Berry could slide to us due to the fact that pass rushers are more important and will be there for consideration for TB. And CLE may want Haden, another top notch DB. And CB is generally considered more important and drafted higher more often than FS.

Ah, another very realistic scenario that we need to consider as possible is STL having a dire need at QB, yet not feeling that Bradford is worth the top pick in the draft, can entertain TB's dire need for a DT and offer the pick and drop two slots down to allow TB to select Suh or McCoy #1 and STL gets Bradford at #3.

This would also push Berry to CLE's decision between him and Haden or Spiller. Just another thought there...

Winslow will relieve the letting go of Antonio Bryant in FA, because he is a go to type of TE. Yeah, I don't 'expect' them to go with Dez Bryant, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Having said that, I'd be expecting more of Odrick or Pierre-Paul at #3. That's me. Then, as far as experts are concerned...I trust more Mayock of the NFL Network...and if you listen closely, he's inching towards crowning Earl Thomas as 'better' or equal to Eric Berry.

Is Eric Berry a top 3 can't miss guy? Hmm. I don't go that far.

Plus, with a more dire need at DL, I see TB eyeing if McCoy drops to them, may even trade up for Suh, or sit there and come out with Pierre-Paul or Jeff Odrick. Of course, I'm waiting on the Combines to see if these guys improve an already high stock or not. So...

All things under consideration, even if Berry goes to CLE (very probable), if Dez is gone and Pierre-Paul is gone? I would not be shocked at hearing "Miami Dolphins select, Earl Thomas..." At #12.

But Berry could slide to us due to the fact that pass rushers are more important and will be there for consideration for TB. And CLE may want Haden, another top notch DB. And CB is generally considered more important and drafted higher more often than FS.

Just pointed out Winslow to show an example of Tampa's philosophy towards draft picks. And by no means was i suggesting that Berry would be picked over Suh or McCoy, as i said in an earlier post it all depends on what the Rams do, because if they grab Bradford or Clausen then TB does a touchdown dance in their office.

Listening to Mayock's opinion on safeties(whom i like better then most...especially that liar named Kiper) he seems annoyed by the way the Kiffen's used Berry this season at Tennessee and wanted to check out previous years for playmaking ability. Most people's problem with Berry is his size...and yet Earl Thomas is even smaller, weighing about 10-20 pounds lighter then most safeties and a inch or so shorter than Berry. If people are on Berry's case about his size, then i just cant see Thomas bypassing him. I have little doubt Thomas is gone in the top 20(with him being available to us at 12), im just not ready to crown him to best in this class.

With the nerve racking hit and miss rate of passrusher developing in the pro's, the question marks surrounding the QB's and Dez Bryant, id be hard pressed to believe Berry isn't a top 3 talent(and "safe pick" if you will) in this years draft(behind Suh and McCoy of course). Will he be taken in the top 3? Doubtful, as i see the Rams grabbing Clausen or Bradford, but does he fall out of the top 10? I'd be shocked.

not a wise move putting eric berry in this poll he will not make it past top 5

Stranger things have happened in the NFL draft.
I think it was either McShay or Kiper who now has Pierre-Paul as a top 5 pick. I'm hoping some QB's and other offesnive players keep climbing into the top 5 too.
Berry playing in our secondary could impact our defense the way Reed, Palomalu and Sanders impact theirs.

Berry is an ELITE prospect, but still pales in comparison to Sean Taylor as a prospect. Taylor was every bit the playmaker and ballhawk that Berry is, but was 3 or so inches taller and about 30 pounds heavier. He also hit harder than most linebackers and was just as fast as Berry.

Taylor, R.I.P., was truly the one in a lifetime prospect that many people talk about and was as complete a Safety, Defensive Back, or Defensive Player in general that you will ever see. Bottom line.

Ed Reed's no slouch either

Should he fall to #12 than our draft strategy should change and selecting Berry should take seconds. With that said Earl Thomas is worth every bit of being picked at #12

as I said last month, if Eric Berry falls to us and we don't take him, I'm walking down to Miami from PA and personally kicking Ross, Tuna, Ireland, Sparano, Bowles, and Nolan square in the nuts. The only way I wouldn't be pissed is if a team like San Fran traded us both their firsts and another pick to get Berry.

People have to remember that as good as Berry was his 3 years at Tennessee, he still has a lot of room to grow. He was a primary QB in High School, and really was never a full time safety. Yeah that's his primary position, but he also started quite a bit at CB. Berry is a difference maker and is probably the best safety prospect since Sean Taylor, and one could argue that he might be a better prospect (again it's debatable, I don't remember Taylor in college as much since I wasn't even in High School when he entered the draft).

If Berry isn't there and it's McClain vs. Bryant... that's a bit different. Bryant would give us that safety valve at WR we lack, and McClain would give us a the high IQ/potential playmaking ILB we lack. I'd probably go with Bryant because our lack of explosiveness on offense hurt us a lot too (and our biggest problems late on defense were safety related).

But what did Taylor's teams ever win? I understand he is probably going to be an elite player, but it's at a luxury position. I would really hate to pass on him, but it might be better for the team to upgrade at LB or WR.

Put it here if Berry falls to us and we dont draft him I will really stop liking the Dolphins...

If we have to pick at 12 (no possibility of trading down), then Eric Berry is a definate no-brainer.

Too make a decision without thinking about it carefully would be silly.

If Eric Berry is there at #12 we could really help ourselves by putting the pick up for trade....Teams wouldnt be able to dial our number fast enough to make us offers!
sorry bro, but there is no way I'd trade that pick if E.B. is on the board...you take him without hesitation

Back
Top Bottom