ESPN analyst ranks Dolphins CB unit as best in the NFL | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN analyst ranks Dolphins CB unit as best in the NFL

with X and Ramsey getting older, who is a better fit to move to safety, and still be worth the tail end of his contract? Holland with greater speed could play center field when needed and the other guy more of a rover / closer to the line

Best CB group I've ever seen on this team, and it's not even close. I feel like we've had some good corners over the years that I've been a fan, but never so much depth. That unit is a bit insane.

X + Ramsey is the best CB duo in the NFL, full stop. I'd take them over any other pair. Then you've got Darth Kader, who was damn impressive last season as a rookie and should only improve in year two. And Cam Smith, who I think will be a steal of this year's draft and a great fit for VF scheme. NN is a good slot too and at one point I thought he had legit boundary potential.

And that's just the CB group. Our safeties are good too.

The defensive back combinations will be interesting. Cam will get his baptism by fire this offseason going against Waddle and Hill.

X is awesome but he’s getting older and speedy WRs have never been his forte. I think we’ll see a lot of Cam on speedy WRs like Garrett Wilson and let X and Ramsey lock down the other 2.

It's unreal how that unit has gone from outhouse to penthouse in such short fashion. Can't wait to see it in action!
Don't you think the outhouse had more to do with 3 guys going out with injuries? Just getting healthy brought the Dolphins up to top 10 in the league. The additions put them on top.

Don't you think the outhouse had more to do with 3 guys going out with injuries? Just getting healthy brought the Dolphins up to top 10 in the league. The additions put them on top.
Correct. They were very talented last year. The issue was the injuries. The Cam Smith pick was all about BPA. It had nothing to do with need. We'd still be at the top of the list if we hadn't selected Smith.

I thought Miami would go defense at #51. That was the strength of the 2023 draft. I also thought it was possible 5 TE's would go before #51. I certainly didn't think Cam Smith would be there. I mentioned in the draft forum, Miami was very Interested in the CB talent, because they were all over, the CB's early and often during the pre draft process.

As it turned out Grier had an inside look at Smith and he took him when he was available. The TE's eventually went in the later part of round one into the top portion of round two. And if it weren't for Washington's injury situation, he may have gone much earlier than he did. Overall 4 TE's were selected before 51 and Miami chose to pass on Washington for Higgins, in round six.

Cam Smith was the forgotten man. A kid with lots of talent. Hopefully Grier's instincts turn out to be as good as they were when he took both Howard and Holland in round two.

As for ESPN, if Needham returns to form, Kohou makes a jump and Smith has an impact, I agree Miami's CB's can be dominant.
You mentioned Grier having an “inside look” at Cam Smith? How/when was that? Did Smith visit? Can’t remember.

The problem with analysis is that most of these posts simply use reputation as the driving factor. I would say the other reasons are because of players like Kohou, Needham, and insert anyone stepped bigtime for us. We should know feel more confident in other players filling in when any of our starters are injured. Finally, with Byron Jones out, we are automatically gonna see an improvement in our secondary with Ramsey (not because of reputation alone).

Grier and McDaniel have been busy the last 15-months.

• Only 26 of 72 players from ‘21 final roster remain on the team
• 15 of 25 starters were replaced/upgraded:

🌟 🌟 🌟 - Significant Upgrade
⭐️ - Upgrade

OFFENSE (10 of 11 starters changed)
QB: Tua 🟰 Tua
LT: Liam Eichenberg ➡️ Terron Armstead 🌟 🌟 🌟
LG: Austin Jackson ➡️ Liam Eichenberg
C: Michael Dieter ➡️ Connor Williams ⭐
RG: Robert Hunt ➡️ Robert Hunt
RT: Jesse Davis ➡️ Austin Jackson
TE: Mike Gesicki ➡️ Durham Smythe
RB: Myles Gaskin ➡️ Raheem Mostert ⭐
WR1: Devante Parker ➡️ Tyreek Hill 🌟 🌟 🌟
WR2: Jaylen Waddle ➡️ Jaylen Waddle
WR3: Mack Hollins ➡️ Cedric Wilson

DEFENSE (6 of 11 starters changed)
RDE: Christian Wilkins 🟰 Christian Wilkins
NT: Raekwon Davis 🟰 Raekwon Davis
LDE: Emmanuel Ogbah 🟰 Emmanuel Ogbah
LOLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ➡️ Jaelen Phillips 🌟 🌟 🌟
LILB: Elandon Roberts ➡️ David Long ⭐
RILB: Jerome Baker 🟰 Jerome Baker
ROLB: Andrew Van Ginkel ➡️ Bradley Chubb ⭐
LCB: Byron Jones ➡️ Jalen Ramsay 🌟 🌟 🌟
RCB: Xavien Howard 🟰 Xavien Howard
SS: Brandon Jones ➡️ DeShon Elliott
FS: Eric Rowe ➡️ Jevon Holland ⭐

SPECIAL TEAMS (1 of 3 starters changed)
K: Jason Sanders 🟰 Jason Sanders
P: Matt Palardy ➡️ Bailey / Turk ⭐
LS: Blake Ferguson 🟰 Blake Ferguson

Last edited:
with X and Ramsey getting older, who is a better fit to move to safety, and still be worth the tail end of his contract? Holland with greater speed could play center field when needed and the other guy more of a rover / closer to the line
Hahaha. Yes, X and Ramsey are getting older. You could have stopped there.

Back
Top Bottom