Espn Barnwell Has Dolphins Offense Ranked 31 | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Espn Barnwell Has Dolphins Offense Ranked 31

If I am being honest, they should be top 5 on this list for potential and ability (talking of their skill players).

Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Hyde, Chubb, Johnson, Njoku . . .and heaven forbid if Callaway has turned the corner and gets on the field.

And I think people are sleeping heavily on Tyrod Taylor. He is a great fit and has the skill players to bail him out when he needs to improvise.

Obviously they are the Browns, so It is hard to project their offense so high plus a lot of questionable characters, but the potential is damn high.
I wouldn't say top 5. Probably top 10. They may have the people but if Landry does what he did in Miami by not studying his playbook and not caring that team and everyone around him will fail. I'm not saying he'll run the team but usually if a key player slacks off then so will everyone else. Look at Ajayi when he was here he was fantastic last year then he slacked off and was terrible for us last season. Glad we traded him but not for what we got.

If I am being honest, they should be top 5 on this list for potential and ability (talking of their skill players).

Gordon, Landry, Coleman, Hyde, Chubb, Johnson, Njoku . . .and heaven forbid if Callaway has turned the corner and gets on the field.

And I think people are sleeping heavily on Tyrod Taylor. He is a great fit and has the skill players to bail him out when he needs to improvise.

Obviously they are the Browns, so It is hard to project their offense so high plus a lot of questionable characters, but the potential is damn high.
Who's their HC, I forget ??

Who's their HC, I forget ??

Hue Jackson (though I’m sure u knew that ;))

He has not been very good. However the Browns were smart enough to bring in an experienced OC in Todd Haley this offseason which gives Hue a proper opportunity to coach his team and hopefully mesh all of this potential into a winning product. Hue has had a very positive offseason with his foundation doing tremendous work in the community and got major publicity for it. Ultimately 1 win in 2 years ain’t good enough, but he must be one hell of a dude to overcome that. No excuses this year. He has the players on both sides of the ball, the quarterbacks and quality coaches on both sides of the ball.

Now we will have to see about our HC, who decided on hiring another “guy he knows” as the OC, while he does double duty as HC and playcaller. Loggins was considered the worst playcaller in the NFL in some circles last year so we know he ain’t here to do that.

That head coaching gap better be huge, in addition to Ryan Tannehill 2018 vs. Taylor/Mayfield, because the Browns have more talent on the field, on the coaching staff and in the front office than we do, and the gap is significant.

I just don't agree at all that somehow the 49ers have better offensive weapons than us. Or the Ravens for that matter...

But honestly, I agree that most of our talent is either in depth, young/unproven, and "hopeful"....so I'm not shocked we're low on that list.

The qb hasn't played in a year and a half.
The starting RB has roughly 5-6 games of meaningful game action under his belt
The o-line has been reshuffled again.
The TE group is new
The WR corps looks alot different than it did last year.

What do you guys expect these guys to write?

People get way too offended by preseason rankings. I don't believe this team is going to be good this year, so 31 doesn't surprise me (I am expecting the Dolphins to pick in the top 5 next year). I'm not sure how anyone can still have high expectations year after year, this team has beaten any optimism out of me.

Espn hires whoever will fit and fill their agenda not whoever has any type of sense or knowledge about sports

The qb hasn't played in a year and a half.
The starting RB has roughly 5-6 games of meaningful game action under his belt
The o-line has been reshuffled again.
The TE group is new
The WR corps looks alot different than it did last year.

What do you guys expect these guys to write?

doesn't account for qb or o line if you open the article

his rankings make some sense, but we're still too low looking at other teams surrounding us on the list

Skill position players are not gonna hold the offense back.

The potential thing that will hold the offense back is the play of the offensive line. Skill position players are [largely] going to be able to run the offense -- and in a way that it hasn't been able to run yet.

If the OL regresses... well, it will hurt. Still won't turn it into 31 ranking.

LD

doesn't account for qb or o line if you open the article

his rankings make some sense, but we're still too low looking at other teams surrounding us on the list
I opened the article. I was just making a blanket statement of basically every carbon copy written about the offense since Landry was traded.

Hue Jackson (though I’m sure u knew that ;))

He has not been very good. However the Browns were smart enough to bring in an experienced OC in Todd Haley this offseason which gives Hue a proper opportunity to coach his team and hopefully mesh all of this potential into a winning product. Hue has had a very positive offseason with his foundation doing tremendous work in the community and got major publicity for it. Ultimately 1 win in 2 years ain’t good enough, but he must be one hell of a dude to overcome that. No excuses this year. He has the players on both sides of the ball, the quarterbacks and quality coaches on both sides of the ball.

Now we will have to see about our HC, who decided on hiring another “guy he knows” as the OC, while he does double duty as HC and playcaller. Loggins was considered the worst playcaller in the NFL in some circles last year so we know he ain’t here to do that.

That head coaching gap better be huge, in addition to Ryan Tannehill 2018 vs. Taylor/Mayfield, because the Browns have more talent on the field, on the coaching staff and in the front office than we do, and the gap is significant.

Hue Jackson should neither still be head coaching nor mentioned in the same breath as Adam Gase IMO! Cam Cameron would have done better than 1-31 especially last season where an at least average coach should have won a few more of those close games they had. He was a helluva coordinator but does not deserve any benefit of the doubt compared to Gase or most other HCs. He's also hired some real coaching duds under him. Given that he was my choice over Gase, I believe we dodged a major bullet on that one.

Todd Haley has ruffled feathers with abrasive interpersonal skills and outworn his welcome most everywhere he's been, including most recently with Big Ben. He is a good coordinator but pisses staff and players off so I wouldn't be so quick to give him an edge either.

To use a human resources related analogy, when a company, the ones who know you best, promotes you on merit it says alot! Likewise, when a company unloads you to take their chances with unproven talent, it also speaks volumes. In Taylor's case, when you've got a GM and HC who got to see Cam Newton up close and personal as a benchmark, and then decides to trade away another mobile and winning QB to take their chances on an unproven Bengals backup, a draft pick who in an inferior conference had a poor completion rating and what's worse, before that in JUCO, an even worse one, plus their own backup who crapped up the one game they put him in hopefully to replace Taylor, to me it speaks volumes about Taylor and his expectation for success in Cleveland.

Now have they amassed an impressive base of talent on both sides of the ball ? Yes! However, does Hue Haley and Taylor, essentially the backbone of the offense instill confidence based on the past? I'd have to say no. Hue has a helluva lot more to prove than Gase!

Todd Haley is very good, which is one reason you see the Steelers so high on that ranking, because Haley made them a well-oiled machine before he was kicked to the curb. But that sword cuts both ways … the Browns should go UP, and the Steelers should go DOWN. While the Steelers are still clearly better, do not expect them to duplicate last season.

Looking at our offense, you should take the 2016 team games 7 through the Tannehill injury. After that doesn't really relate, and before that is a learning curve that has already finished. Once you have that baseline from 2016, you quickly realize that Tannehill was playing lights-out fantastic. Take away Landry and add two superior TE's to what 2016 had, then replace Landry with Wilson/Amendola/Grant, improve the OL and give us a 3rd down back in Ballage … clearly this team is significantly better than the 2016 baseline. Predicting us to be 31st out of 32 teams is just blatantly wrong. We're _much_ better than that.

Some posters talk about his 2016 season on here like it is up there with Marino's 84 season.

There was a post here a month or so ago that compared the first 77 games of Drew Brees and Ryan Tannehill. Read it if you want and tell me if you still think the fanbase knows what they have in Tannehill. Just to give you an idea, i was mocked for saying it was apples and oranges to compare the two.

https://www.pro-football-reference....toyear_2=2006&player_id2=BreeDr00&idx=players

I think era has to be considered. Brees had the 10th most TD's during that time frame and there were 11 QB's during that time who had 100+ TD's. Tannehill had the 15th most TD's and there were 16 QB's who threw 100+ td's.

Also Brees's QBR of 87.5 was 11th best and there were 4 QB's who had 90+ QBR during that timeframe while Tannehills 86.5 is only good for 25th and there were 15 QB's who held a 90+ QBR during that timeframe.

Back
Top Bottom