ESPN Insider Scours FA Market...gems Timmerman, Bennett, Wistrom, James, Hicks | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN Insider Scours FA Market...gems Timmerman, Bennett, Wistrom, James, Hicks

ckparrothead

Premium Member
Reaction score
Rankings between 90 to 100 are for Elite players. Peyton Manning is a 95 and Terrell Owens and Orlando Pace are 90's to give you perspective on that.

Rankings between 80 to 89 are Outstanding Players, guys that rate in top 10 of their position, guys that cant be shut down by a single player, and play consistently week to week. For perpective they give Walter Jones an 89 (just missing Elite), Chris McCalister an 81, and guys like Jevon Kearse, Julian Peterson, Champ Bailey, Warren Sapp, and Troy Vincent are all 80's.

The next three groups from 79 to 65 are Solid Starter, Good Starter, and Adequate Starter.

Rankings between 75 and 79 are Solid Starter, defined as being close to being an elite player (outstanding player), and no glaring weaknesses will usually win his one on one matchups, but doesn't dominate in EVERY game especially when matched against a top player. Will rank in the top 20 among his position.

70 to 74 is Good Starter, is more like a guy who gives you tons of heart and effort and a guy that you are glad is on your team but he's not dominant week in and week out against the better players he sees. Usually consistent but may or may not take the next step to the next level.

65 to 69 is Adequate Starter is a guy who gives a solid effort week in and week out, but is overmatched by the better players. He's a guy you like to have on your team, "blue collar" type, but he will never be a star and his weaknesses will be exposed in man to man matchups.

Wide Receiver

Terrell Owens is as I said a 90. Clearly an elite player. But he's no longer even a free agent lol. Forget him I guess. But here is what may surprise you. The 2nd best WR in free agency is NOT Darrell Jackson according to them. Its Drew Bennett, who draws a 75 rating but unfortunately they don't give an Experts Take on him...very frustrating. Bennett is an RFA but he is undrafted so it will be interesting to see what tender the Titans will give him...and they may find themselves choosing between Bennett, and the current Starter Justin McCareins (3rd round pick I think), and they also have Eddie Berlin. Darrell Jackson is a 74 and they do give an experts take which I won't share immediately because FH could get in trouble. The next best WRs are Darnerian McCants and Justin McCareins, with 72 ratings. Both are RFAs. Tai Streets draws a 72 as well, and Marcus Robinson draws a 71. One thing that may discredit Scouts Inc. on these rankings is they give Steve Smith only a 70 rating but they dont give an Experts Take so this could merely be an oversight. Dez White is also a 70 but he clearly deserves that for now. Kevin Dyson grabs a 69, then Reggie Barlow, Oronde Gadsden, and Dennis Northcutt brings up the rear at a poor 65. Barlow is considered there for his return abilities I think...cuz they give Ed Perry a 65 as well, cuz of his long snapping abilities.

Offensive Line

The top rated free agent that isn't franchised, is John Tait. He grabs a 79, very close to being one of the Outstanding Players, with maybe the only thing stopping him being a move to LT which Scouts Inc thinks would suit him because its his more natural position. The next best player is Center Damien Woody also with a 79. In the experts take they definitely outline the problems he has with shotgun snaps, so he'll be a guard. The biggest weakness for him is desire and work ethic, you really have to rope him into a situation he enjoys, but he played LG for the Pats so he'd be a candidate to replace Nails. After that the next best is Adam Timmerman with a 77, and even though he's been in the league 9 years they say he's still playing at a very high level. He played RG this last year for the Rams, so he'd be a candidate to replace Perry. After that is Jeno James at LG, coming in at a respectable 75 rating. He's a very talented pass protector who doesn't get a very good push on bigger DTs off the line of scrimmage and sometimes looks lost in space. A surprising entry is veteran center Rich Braham of the Bengals at 74...the same rating they give to Packers franchise OT Chad Clifton. Mike Flynn of the Ravens a center also ranks 74, and so does retiring guard Kevin Donnalley. After that guards Travis Claridge (Falcons), Mike Compton (Pats), Everett Lindsay (Vikings), and Mike Goff (Bengals) come in at 73 each. Jamie Nails is also a 73, and they say he can be an absolutely dominating run blocker but will always be a liability in pass protection and they talk about the question of his achilles and openly wonder if he can get back to being a dominant run blocker. Damion McIntosh OT for the Chargers is a 73 as well. Cosey Coleman former first round pick of the Bucs, Greg Robinson-Randall of the Texans, Chris Villarial, and Todd Wade are all listed at 72s. Then there's a bunch of 70's I wont get into with the only notables being DeMulling, Diem, and Orlando Brown. Bennie Anderson, Eric Beverly, and Matt Stinchcomb are in the 60's.

Other Notables

Grant Wistrom draws a respectable 74 and they emphasize he could take the next step to be a star and that for a 'young player' he really seems to be technically sound and has a great first step, maybe a little bit undersized.

Rod Coleman is a DT I've always liked because he's so high energy and gives so much effort, has a GREAT motor and this guy was better than Darrell Russell back when he was still playin for the Raiders. They give Coleman a decent 74 rating as well but emphasize that as a starter he seems to get worn down some and engulfed by good run blockers, making him the PERFECT 3rd DT in a good rotation. I doubt we could sign him to do that job he should see some good money on the market but I would replace Zgonina with him any day.

Eric Hicks is a 74 as a DE as well. They say he plays very well in space, is technically sound, but has passrush limitations. The reason I bring up Hicks and Wistrom is because they are both candidates to replace Ogunleye who by the way is also listed as a 74 by Scouts Inc. Wistrom in particular is a guy I've heard the Phins are looking at.

My dream scenario? (assuming we dont have a shot at Rivers)

The Dolphins grab a first and 3rd from Seattle for Adewale Ogunleye, then use the 20th pick on either Rashaun Woods, Lee Evans, or Reggie Williams, and use the 23rd pick on Jake Grove. In free agency Miami signs Damien Woody at LG and Adam Timmerman at RG...and resigns Todd Wade to a contract much lower than what he's asking for (more like $5-6 million bonus rather than $10 million). Then we'd have a line of Smith, Woody, Grove, Timmerman, and Wade...and McKinney can back up all three interior positions. Problem then is that we still have Bill Yates and Taylor Whitley, but no swing tackle. For that we'd just have to find someone in the draft or elsewhere.

A good value FA at RG instead of Timmerman if he's being bid up would be Travis Claridge of the Falcons. He's still young, could take that next step, and he has versatility at G/T.

A good value FA at LG instead of Woody if he's being bid up too high (which is likely) is either Jeno James, or just giving McKinney a shot. With Donnalley retiring the Panthers might be tempted to really put a high priority on keeping James though.

Meadows is better then Wade, and much cheaper.

I was on Woody's bandwagon before he blew out his knee, and I've jumped off since... He could end up like Jamie Nails did after his injury.

Travis Claridge is undersized for a run blocking OL.

This is a cheap OL I would not mind.

Smith, Yates, McKinney, Villarial, Wade.

Yates is a perfect LG in our line and will get better along with Smith. McKinney will master the line calls. Villarial is still a very good mauling RG. Wade stays.

It's cheap and it's realistic.

Cheap and realistic assumes we have no signing power in free agency. We do though. We've already saved $20 million and have yet to deal paycuts to Fiedler and Madison. And its not that we've given a big chunk of money to Feeley either, the SB is only $3 million for a 5 year contract and I hear the last three years of the contract have big salaries as opposed to the first 2 years.

If we want, we can make a run at some of the better FA guards and centers out there including Damien Woody. Villarial is not one of the better ones. If Wade is really demanding as much as we hear, we should just go after Tait or even Damion McIntosh who plays LT but is a good run blocker and a not so good pass protector more suited for RT. Timmerman remains a good possibility as well, and while I would love to draft Jake Grove with the pick we get for Ogunleye I would love it more if we did something whacky like accepted Walter Jones in trade in lieu of Ogunleye. We could give Jones the money that Wade wants, and move Wade Smith to RT where he can be a dominant pass protector and he would have the leg drive to be an adequate if not good run blocker.

Adam Meadows is old, injured, and he was legitimately beaten for a job by a tandem of Ryan Diem and rookie Steve Sciullo.

We're something like 8m or so under according to this site plus the figures for what we saved.

Consider we still have some re-signing to do. Consider other FAs and everything, I don't think we will have that much money to go after two big OL names.

I would love to draft Grove. Move McKinney to LG where if you ask me he has been playing better anyway and sign a cut veteran or Timmerman, and have Jerman, Whitley, and Yates back them up. They can also compete with McKinney at LG.

McKinney is more likely than Woody I agree. Recently stuff has been coming out saying Woody could go to another team after all...i had heard he was willing to accept a lot less money to stay with the Pats cuz he enjoys it so much, but I guess you should never underestimate Bill Belichick in his ability to insult and discard talented veterans over money issues. That was most certainly his MO in Cleveland, and his releasing Lawyer Milloy was very reminiscent of those days. I look forward to the day when the rest of the league catches up with his mad scientist tinkering on defense like they've caught up to Martz, and Belichick stops getting outright lucky in the draft like he's been doing.

Anyway, I guess I would be happy with Grove at Center, Timmerman at RG, and McKinney at LG. But this of course assumes we don't have a choice at #20 of whether or not to take Phil Rivers. If he's there you take him, just like if Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger were there, you'd take them. Sometimes in the draft you just have to draft by talent not by need. We may be ok at Safety but if Sean Taylor were magically there at pick #20, you'd take him. If Kenechi Udeze was there, you'd take him. If Tommie Harris was there, you take him. Same with Robert Gallery even though everyone is high on Wade Smith's prospects for the future. What I've been trying to say about Phil Rivers, is that he's right up there, legitimately.

Once upon a time a lot of teams passed on Randy Moss because they didn't need WRs, or they did not like his attitude problems. Once upon a time a lot of teams passed on Deuce McAlister because they didn't need a RB. Both times they just went so far that teams with those positions already settled had the foresight to take them. If a lot of teams pass on Phil Rivers because they don't need QB and because they are uncomfortable with his delivery, it would be the same thing all over again and I would HOPE Miami would have the foresight to take him despite having Feeley in the fold...because if we don't another team who you didn't consider to be in the hunt for a QB will have the foresight to take him.

Originally posted by Fisticuff Deuce
Meadows is better then Wade, and much cheaper.

I'm not so sure about that. Here's a quote I found about Meadows from scouting reports...

"Got pushed around in the running game and became a real liability in short-yardage situations. The bad hip limited his mobility and defenders could slip past him."

That was from the 2002 season...and then he missed 4 more games in 2003..

and he's 30...forget about it.

Back
Top Bottom