ESPN's Clayton says Miami will get Rodgers | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's Clayton says Miami will get Rodgers

merlin00069

All-Pro
Reaction score
Hello Hello...i havent posted in a while so pardon me if you guys have talked this topic to death. I have been watching Rodgers at Cal since he transferred last year and become the starter in the 4th game and have been inpressed with him. ESPN's John Clayton actually said today that Miami will more than likely pick up Rodgers if they get the #1 pick in next years draft. I think it's a fantastic move. I know we need a lot of help in alot of places, the RW situation, o-line etc, but i'd hate to miss out on this kid...he looks like the real deal. Even though Tedford at Cal has a knack for grooming QB's in college i would love to see the phins take a shot on this guy. I must say it would renew my faith in the dolphins organization.Ive been a dolphin fan for all 23 years of my living, and am not the first to say this season has stunk. Thanks for listening to me ramble on guys. Just for sh^ts and giggles i think the QB rating this year in college falls off dramatically after Rodgers/Leinart. I think the order(top 5) is
1)Rodgers..best all round QB holds the ball high up,good arm/release and smart
2)Leinart...great touch passer/reads def. great, and a great teammate
3)Greene...dramatic dropoff after #2 but still great touch passer/great experience
4)Alex Smith..runs spread/very complex offense which means he's very smart plus great mobility
5)Orton..great arm/ good touch on long balls...struggling a little as of late could be a steal

Let the posting begin..im sure alot of you agree and disagree... :cool:

I would rank Smith at 3 and Green not in the top 5. Where's Walter from Az. State and Orvolsky(sp.) from Conn.

I like Rodgers as much as anyone (seen him about 6-7 times this year), but this is pure speculation on Clayton's part. He has no clue who we will draft.

Yeap....but they pay him for a reason..=)...there are always a few wildcards....Orlovsky is one of them, Walter is another....i just didnt feel they were solid enough to be in the top 5. Greene gets in because he's been a 4 year starter and is a proven winner at a big school in a big conference where they play top notch competition. He's also set a few records here and there. I'm still iffy on A.Smith being in the top 5 being that he plays for the Utah and doesnt see much. Now that being said all this is obviously speculation because i am no draft guru, a la Kiper.....and drafting a QB is officially the hardest thing to do in any sport, but it's a hell of alot of fun debating. I mean lets face it...people thought Ryan Leaf would be better than Manning...hehe...and even though it's a rookie campaign Roesth. was taken 11th behind Manning and Rivers.(although the team he went to helps tremendously). So im just curious as to what others have to say honestly...thanks for the input....keep posting!

merlin00069 said:
I'm still iffy on A.Smith being in the top 5 being that he plays for the Utah and doesnt see much.

If Alex Smith hasn't seen much last year, than Ben Roethlisberger didn't see much last year, and he has turned out to be ok in the NFL. I doubt we will see any rookie QB as good as Roethlisberger for a long time, but just because you don't play in a big conference doesn't mean you are going up against weak competition. Smith played against Texas A&M (a solid team who have lost 4 games, and 3 of the 4 teams they lost to are in the top 6 of the BCS), UNC (a bowl eligible team), and Arizona (who haven't looked good all season but beat their rivals today who happen to be ranked.) Smith has also played against some solid teams in the Mountain West as well. His schedule isn't as weak as people think, but he has dominated pretty much everything he has gone up against (the game against BYU was probably his worst all season, he threw 2 of his 4 INTs in that game.) Alex Smith is incredibly smart (he graduated college in 2 years because he got a ton of AP credit in HS, and as someone who is in AP classes I can tell you that getting AP credit isn't all that easy) and has played incredibly well for Utah this year. He has a pretty good arm and I don't think he is a bad NFL prospect at all. He isn't a first rounder, but he is definitely someone we should look at.

In this draft, the best QBs are (if they all declare): Aaron Rodgers, Matt Leinart, Andrew Walter, Charlie Frye, and Dan Orlovsky. I would also throw Smith in there.

Now i got another question...we all heard this offseason that Kiper got fired but the other day on nfl live Sean Salisbury said i talked to nfl draft guru Mel Kiper who works for ESPN and he said leinart is the best out there. So did they rehire Kiper, or is Salisbury just dumb as ****.

dolphinsfan69 said:
Now i got another question...we all heard this offseason that Kiper got fired but the other day on nfl live Sean Salisbury said i talked to nfl draft guru Mel Kiper who works for ESPN and he said leinart is the best out there. So did they rehire Kiper, or is Salisbury just dumb as ****.

Kiper never got fired. There was a rumor that he did, but he actually signed a new contract.

Alex Smith is a junior & I seriously doubt he'll leave early.

1-Rodgers, Cal* - technically sound, strong arm, extremely accurate, marginal height is only flaw
2-Leinart, USC* - would be #1 if he had a stronger arm
3-Walter, Az St - strongest arm in college, holds onto the ball a little long, more mobile than people give him credit for
4-Frye, Akron - another great MAC QB with a good arm, mobile, & hard to tackle
5-Orton, Purdue - good arm, accurate, product of spread system that doesn't perform well vs top talent
6-Orlovsky, UConn - average arm & accuracy, locks onto receivers, lack of competition
7-Campbell, Auburn - has come on this year, defense's focus on running game helps him tremendously, good mobility, strong arm, inconsistent with his accuracy

If Alex Smith hasn't seen much last year, than Ben Roethlisberger didn't see much last year, and he has turned out to be ok in the NFL.

Again, Smith is a junior that isn't likely to go pro. Smith plays in a decent conference but the thing that will hurt him the most is that he plays in a spread offense & doesn't have a very strong arm. David Carr & Drew Brees (Grossman too when he's healthy) are the only two starting QBs from pure spread offenses in college. It's a difficult transition.

Back
Top Bottom