ESPN's Mortensen's take on Cris Carter & Miami drafting a QB...... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

ESPN's Mortensen's take on Cris Carter & Miami drafting a QB......

Predaphin

Predator in the Water
Reaction score
Q: Is Cris Carter a good fit for Miami? Would he hurt them or help them? Are they looking at anybody else, at any position? What about drafting QB Kurt Kittner? -- Kyle Langhoff, Blackston, Ill.
MORT -- Kyle, I believe Cris Carter is a great fit for the Miami Dolphins. He's a Hall of Famer who keeps himself in tremendous shape. He's three years younger than Jerry Rice, and you saw what Rice did with the Raiders in 2001 at a time when people were ready to bury him. I think this whole idea that Carter will disrupt the locker-room chemistry is absurd; Cris found losing unacceptable with the Minnesota Vikings last year, and his frustrations did boil over. We chastise today's professional players for not caring enough about their on-field and off-field integrity. Are we going to penalize Carter for caring too much? It's silly.

As for drafting a QB like Kittner, I think it's worth watching if he's still available in the mid-to-late rounds. Kittner was a four-year starter for Ron Turner at Illinois and Ron's brother, Norv, is now the offensive coordinator for the Dolphins. Still, the Dolphins have a young QB in Cade McNown they may want to develop.

www.espn.com

I don't see us wasting a pick on a QB this year. Next year there will be a few nice ones (probably will be gone before we get them though). I said it once and I'll say it again. We should have drafted Drew Brees when we had the chance instead of Jamar. JMO...:D

TSN has a "dolphins target tight-ends" headline but it's under the pay option. So who knows what they think the phins are going to do.

I hate TSN for going the PPV route.....I never go to their website anymore for draft info cause all the good stuff is pay. Oh well, what's a poor student to do??? hehehehe

Originally posted by WCoastFin
Q: Is Cris Carter a good fit for Miami? Would he hurt them or help them? Are they looking at anybody else, at any position? What about drafting QB Kurt Kittner? -- Kyle Langhoff, Blackston, Ill.
MORT -- Kyle, I believe Cris Carter is a great fit for the Miami Dolphins. He's a Hall of Famer who keeps himself in tremendous shape. He's three years younger than Jerry Rice, and you saw what Rice did with the Raiders in 2001 at a time when people were ready to bury him. I think this whole idea that Carter will disrupt the locker-room chemistry is absurd; Cris found losing unacceptable with the Minnesota Vikings last year, and his frustrations did boil over. We chastise today's professional players for not caring enough about their on-field and off-field integrity. Are we going to penalize Carter for caring too much? It's silly.

As for drafting a QB like Kittner, I think it's worth watching if he's still available in the mid-to-late rounds. Kittner was a four-year starter for Ron Turner at Illinois and Ron's brother, Norv, is now the offensive coordinator for the Dolphins. Still, the Dolphins have a young QB in Cade McNown they may want to develop.

www.espn.com

Mortensen and the guy who wrote to him are idiots.

Carter might be a good adition if he can shut his mouth, but thats a big IF. He is not a "perfect fit", and don't try to stick up for his outbursts at the defense either.

Kittner is a 2nd-4th rounder. Why would we spend our first pick(#90), or even our 2nd pick on a QB? That would be stupid.

Re: Re: ESPN's Mortensen's take on Cris Carter & Miami drafting a QB......

Originally posted by booyeah_

Mortensen and the guy who wrote to him are idiots?

Carter might be a good adition if he can shut his mouth, but thats a big IF. He is not a "perfect fit", and don't try to stick up for his outbursts at the defense either.

Kittner is a 2nd-4th rounder. Why would we spend our first pick(#90), or even our 2nd pick on a QB? That would be stupid.

YEP

Re: Re: ESPN's Mortensen's take on Cris Carter & Miami drafting a QB......

Originally posted by booyeah_

Mortensen and the guy who wrote to him are idiots.

The person calling others idiots may want to check the glass house they are living in. Mort didn't say Miami would draft Kittner, saying they still have hope for Cade. Please everyone realize THE WHOLE SHIP SANK IN MINN LAST YEAR. A player died, a caoch lost his job, a star admited to not trying, their runnung game retired, and their d fell apart. Chris Carter hasn't been critisized since his first year in the league some 13 or so seasons ago. I personaly want a player on our team that doesn't take losing laying down. Do you guys like it when we give up a 30 point lead, and guys are laughing after the game? Or how about when the coaches say jack to the players when they are surrendering a 17 point lead? I don't i want to see some one on the sideline kicking other in the ass. If that is something CC likes to do than i think it is more of a reason to bring him to Miami, besides being the 2nd best wr EVER to play the game. Also please remember he hasn't had a injury in like 5 seasons and has one of the best off season trainging programs of anyone in the league.

I agree with Dejesus... what he said ....lol

I agree. Maybe I am misinformed, but up until this past season I had never heard anything negative about him.I think he was just frustrated .(with Moss being such a clown and all that)Are you a winner?If so,try surrounding yourself with a room full of losers one time,and see how frustrated you get.If you can't find a room full of losers,just go to the DD board and that should do it.No offense to the select few who are decent there.

Re: Re: Re: ESPN's Mortensen's take on Cris Carter & Miami drafting a QB......

Originally posted by Dajesus

The person calling others idiots may want to check the glass house they are living in. Mort didn't say Miami would draft Kittner, saying they still have hope for Cade. Please everyone realize THE WHOLE SHIP SANK IN MINN LAST YEAR. A player died, a caoch lost his job, a star admited to not trying, their runnung game retired, and their d fell apart. Chris Carter hasn't been critisized since his first year in the league some 13 or so seasons ago. I personaly want a player on our team that doesn't take losing laying down. Do you guys like it when we give up a 30 point lead, and guys are laughing after the game? Or how about when the coaches say jack to the players when they are surrendering a 17 point lead? I don't i want to see some one on the sideline kicking other in the ass. If that is something CC likes to do than i think it is more of a reason to bring him to Miami, besides being the 2nd best wr EVER to play the game. Also please remember he hasn't had a injury in like 5 seasons and has one of the best off season trainging programs of anyone in the league.

AMEN!!

Originally posted by Bodzilla29
I hate TSN for going the PPV route.....I never go to their website anymore for draft info cause all the good stuff is pay. Oh well, what's a poor student to do??? hehehehe

From ESPN:

Team needs
From Pro Football Weekly

Quarterbacks: Dave Wannstedt knows Jay Fiedler will never be another Dan Marino, but he believes that with Norv Turner working with him, Fiedler can develop into a very smart, efficient quarterback and passer in the Bob Griese mold. Ray Lucas is very athletic and has the strongest arm on the team but is a situational player. Wannstedt and his trusted personnel man, Rick Spielman, are very high on Cade McNown, who was a Bears' first-round pick when Spielman was in Chicago.

Running backs: Ricky Williams is the big-time, powerful running back the Dolphins have needed since Delvin Williams was in his prime, and Miami has good depth and complementary players around him.

Receivers: Unless the team is sold on Alonzo Mayes, the Dolphins really could use a tight end, and Mayes has done nothing to datet.

Offensive line: Miami really needs a left tackle and may also need help at guard if Mark Dixon retires. Granted, injuries wreaked havoc on this unit, but even with everyone healthy, it is far from rock solid. Leon Searcy could help if he can finally stay healthy, but it is doubtful whether he or Todd Wade can be the answer at left tackle. Both are very physical, run-blocking right tackles. Searcy may be able to move to guard.

Defensive line: The Dolphins had to get a quality third tackle because when Daryl Gardener's back put him on the shelf, there was a huge dropoff. They feel ex-Panther Larry Chester can fill the void. They also could use a pass rusher to take some pressure off Jason Taylor, but they feel David Bowens could be that man. With Kenny Mixon going to Minnesota, the Dolphins may move Gardener outside and start Chester inside.

Linebackers: Zach Thomas is the heart of the defense. The outside linebackers are good enough to win with.

Defensive backs: As deep and talented as any group in the game at cornerback and they have enough to get by inside, despite the loss of Brian Walker to the Lions.

Special teams: Outstanding.

Summary: The Dolphins filled their biggest need by adding Ricky Williams, but they still have some major concerns on the offensive line and at tight end. Counting on either Brent Smith or Marcus Spriggs, who were both injured last season, to handle the OLT position and Alonzo Mayes, who also was hurt, at tight end are very big gambles.

2001 draft analysis: CB Jamar Fletcher did not make an impact after injuring a quadriceps muscle during the offseason and falling behind, but he could replace Terry Cousin as the third corner. Fletcher's college teammate, WR Chris Chambers, could be the team's most dangerous and explosive receiver since the “Marks Brothers,†and he has the size and strength Mark Duper and Mark Clayton lacked. Morlon Greenwood ended the year starting at an OLB spot, and the Dolphins really like his speed and athleticism. Travis Minor is a third-down back and was the most talented runner on the team last year, but he is not built for every-down duty. The Dolphins believe C Troy Andrew has a future.

Thanx Slaine my man....us poor students need a break like that every once and a while! hehehe

Have to agree with what was said tho.......questionmarks on both lines, will the quantity make up for sheer quality?? let's hope so.

I agree with everything in there except for the stuff said about Fiedler. He could be effecient but they should not insult Bob Griese like that.

Originally posted by iceblizzard69
I agree with everything in there except for the stuff said about Fiedler. He could be effecient but they should not insult Bob Griese like that.
I don't know if Griese would find the comparison an insult !! Just because you and a few others on this board do not like Fiedler does not mean your opinion carries weight. As a matter of fact, if you would look at some game tapes of B-Griese (when he was considered a threat at scrambling) there are alot of similarities between him and Fiedler! Griese was never very athletic but what he lacked in arm strength and speed ,, he more than made up for it in intelligence and game preparedness. J-Fiedler is very athletic and can make a good play out of a completely bad one! What Fiedler has to work on - is his decision making and his secondary reads .. :D Marino1983

Back
Top Bottom