Etienne | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Etienne

People say you can never have enough CB's, and I don't understand why they don't apply the same logic to WR. Just as a D wants to be ableto match up as well as possible, the Offense should want to have a WR group that's as tough as possible to match up with. All the best offenses have answers for your answers. If you blanket Kelce and Hill, Mahomes has Watkins and Hardman.
I'd argue that with the NFL rules and officiating heavily weighted to offense, and passing specifically, it often takes a special player to do well as a CB. They have to have a level of athleticism, skill and mental toughness that is more rare than what is needed to be successful as a WR...and besides playing well in the passing game, the CB needs to be able to come up an take on a 220lb RB with a full head of steam too.

WRs, and the QBs delivering them the ball, get so many advantages that you get plenty of receivers that "will do" later in the draft. IMO

Parsons with the Houston pick im all for. I would move up to secure smith at that point.

I'd argue that with the NFL rules and officiating heavily weighted to offense, and passing specifically, it often takes a special player to do well as a CB. They have to have a level of athleticism, skill and mental toughness that is more rare than what is needed to be successful as a WR...and besides playing well in the passing game, the CB needs to be able to come up an take on a 220lb RB with a full head of steam too.

WRs, and the QBs delivering them the ball, get so many advantages that you get plenty of receivers that "will do" later in the draft. IMO
High-end WR's make more than high-end CB's, and I believe they're drafted earlier. The rules favor offense, for sure, and the ability to pass is more predictable and sustainable than the ability to stop the pass. I think it's an arms race, and if you have top-tier WR's, DB's, and QB, you just need good enough everywhere else. But, if you could be elite anywhere, those are the obvious choices - with OT and Pass Rusher next. As Largo would say, you want to be the best everywhere, but these are the areas where you should be willing to spend extra to get the best. Sometimes you have to spend extra on OT just because they're hard to find, but the difference between good and great is less significant to team success at OT than it is at WR.

Kenneth Gainwell is very good receiver out of the backfield. He is also very shifty runner. Makes me think he could log some plays in the slot.

Whether it's 1st, 2nd or 3rd round we need to have a run game next season to take some pressure off Tua. There aren't that many hits from the 4th round onwards in last year's draft. Some have done ok as part of a committee. James Robinson is the obvious exception. FA is hit or miss as we've seen.

It's a year earlier than we might have wanted, but it's the right time. I'd be preaching patience too if it wasn't for Tua, he changes everything.

High-end WR's make more than high-end CB's, and I believe they're drafted earlier. The rules favor offense, for sure, and the ability to pass is more predictable and sustainable than the ability to stop the pass. I think it's an arms race, and if you have top-tier WR's, DB's, and QB, you just need good enough everywhere else. But, if you could be elite anywhere, those are the obvious choices - with OT and Pass Rusher next. As Largo would say, you want to be the best everywhere, but these are the areas where you should be willing to spend extra to get the best. Sometimes you have to spend extra on OT just because they're hard to find, but the difference between good and great is less significant to team success at OT than it is at WR.
I think high end CB is harder to find than a high end WR but the rules are so stacked against them that they are not as valuable as they should be.You will never hear a player being called a "shut down corner" again.

My view has always been that a players Draft value is about how hard it is to find outstanding talent at that position.

Outstanding CB's are rarer than WR in my view and i would spend more cash and Draft capital on CB than WR for that reason.

Obviously that has nothing to do with the Fins as they have a need at WR and no need at CB.

As for their value on the field itself I have watched the patriots win a stack of Lombardi's with always having great WR talent, with a few notable exceptions they have won with good solid WR's who worked well with Brady.

My feeling is if you have an excellent QB you should build as good an OL as possible to let him work and you will score points with good but not great "skill" guys.

We don't know if Tua is going to be a guy who lifts mediocre WR's to solid, solid to good, and good to great like Brady did so investing in a real stud like Chase for example makes sense.Most likely Tua will not reach those heights but barring injury he looks like he will be one of the better QB's for some time.

Protect him and he will succeed with less than Pro Bowl "skill" guys around him.

I am not saying to avoid elite talent at WR but you don't have to chase it.

I think high end CB is harder to find than a high end WR but the rules are so stacked against them that they are not as valuable as they should be.You will never hear a player being called a "shut down corner" again.

My view has always been that a players Draft value is about how hard it is to find outstanding talent at that position.

Outstanding CB's are rarer than WR in my view and i would spend more cash and Draft capital on CB than WR for that reason.

Obviously that has nothing to do with the Fins as they have a need at WR and no need at CB.
That's a factor, but the actual impact on the game is the more important factor. If you can find WR's easier, great. No excuse for not having elite WR's then - as the position is more important to sustained winning than is CB. The correct answer is both, but WR > CB.

The Patriots had the best TE in NFL history and arguably the best non-QB of the last 20 years in Gronk. If not for him, the WR's would not have been good enough - see Brady's on/off with Gronk.

Kamara has caught over 80 passes per season... and will again this year... and this is why a player with his profile might be worth a first round pick. I'm not sure that you can argue that 5 different WRs are worth a #1, when a RB who eclipses them in receptions is not.

Yes, I get that RBs don't last as long, and when they do... you have to pay them, but you have to pay WRs on that second contract as well.

I also understand that teams run less than ever, but I put it to you that this is EXACTLY why a player with Kamara (or Cook's) profile are probably worth more than they've EVER been. At this point in the development of the NFL, a RB who can play all three downs is gold, and there are not many of them who can do this.

Can Najee Harris do this? No. So, I take him off my board until the middle of the second (at the earliest).

Can Travis Etienne? Maybe. And that's why I think you have to, at least, consider it. I am not advising it, but depending on how the board falls, and whether the players we covet are taken early... Etienne is on my board at the bottom of the round.

Guys like Gainwell in the third might be an answer as well...

Back
Top Bottom