evaluating a potential qb in the draft | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

evaluating a potential qb in the draft

cowtowndick

Seasoned Veteran
Reaction score
...here's some thoughts on evaluating any potential qb. imo, we should consider the new rules on pass interference when considering a qb. prior to the rule changes and advent of the west coast offense (with its emphasis on short and medium routes) arm accuracy was favoured over arm strength, and huge wide receivers that could fight off db's at the line and use their size to get position for the catch were preferred. so, i'm watching the playoffs this weekend and two smurfs are ripping it up - santana moss and steve smith. especially smith - unstoppable, and he's 5'9"??? got me thinking - if you can accurately throw the deep ball, you will succeed in the nfl of the future. sounds like stating the obvious - but it is of particular importance to the phins, first because the system we just installed favours the deep ball, and second because we have the opportunity to draft the qb of the future this year. yes, you need defense to win - but we have a great coach with a great handle on the defensive game. he's installed a defensive system that worked pretty well this year, and i'm pretty confident that there will always be plenty of resources dedicated every offseason to ensuring its success. now, how about the offense...

pretty obvious that our most glaring need on offense is at qb. now, what kind of player are we looking for? my thinking is that because of the new rules on pass interference, the game has been opened up, and the days of winning a super bowl a la the ravens and the bucs (with an astounding defense and a marginal offense) are over. the qb we select has to be a guy that can stay in the pocket, face the rush, take a hit if he needs to, move a bit to make the play (but doesn't have to have a scrambling style like vick or young) and most important, he has to have an arm that scares people. strong arm, quick release, accurate deep ball. more so than command of the short game or west coast offense experience or running ability. so who are the top qb prospects based on that criteria? secondary question - who are the wr prospects that we could add in the later rounds (rounds four plus) a la steve smith - can be smaller as long as they quicker, good deep speed, excellent after the catch. and no, this isn't a 'hate chris chambers' thing...

(a lot of this maybe somewhat dull for some, but i'm trying to start a thread/discussion that doesn't involve trading ricky williams, or trading for carr or culpepper...)

Well, let's also keep in mind those smurfs are faster then the taller DBs covering them. Otherwise, they would not get separation deep and no accurate pass would get by a decent DB.

So while I agree we need an accurate passer, the smurfs are fast and that makes up for their height issue. If they don't get separation the ball will be intercepted more likely than not.

My QB evalutation: At least average skills. Able to make all the throws. A GOOD ATTITUDE and highly intelligent. You can have all the physicals tools in the world, but if you're dumb as a board and can't learn the complex offenses that NFL uses, then it doesn't really matter. Plus you have to be able to read defenses, make quick, split-second decisions, be able to audible, etc...etc..etc... Attitude and intelligence are two huge factors in the success of a QB that are not mentioned enough.

SCall13 said:
My QB evalutation: At least average skills. Able to make all the throws. A GOOD ATTITUDE and highly intelligent. You can have all the physicals tools in the world, but if you're dumb as a board and can't learn the complex offenses that NFL uses, then it doesn't really matter. Plus you have to be able to read defenses, make quick, split-second decisions, be able to audible, etc...etc..etc... Attitude and intelligence are two huge factors in the success of a QB that are not mentioned enough.

too true - i guess i was assuming to a certain extent that a college qb that has shown success in the deep passing game would have the mental make-up you describe, but that could definitely be an incorrect assumption on my part. so, having said all this, how do you (or anyone) rank the college qb class this year? i have my ideas, but i'm interested in others - i don't watch as much college football as most, i get a lot of my info via scouting publications, scouting websites, etc.

bigmiamifan said:
Well, let's also keep in mind those smurfs are faster then the taller DBs covering them. Otherwise, they would not get separation deep and no accurate pass would get by a decent DB.

So while I agree we need an accurate passer, the smurfs are fast and that makes up for their height issue. If they don't get separation the ball will be intercepted more likely than not.

absolutely, agreed - so the second part of my post asked who are the wr's that could be similar? smaller guys, quick, fast, great after the catch, that could be available later in the draft (smith was a third round pick, 74th overall). looking for suggestions...

I think these are the major attributes a QB must have:
1.) Intelligence
2.) Winning swagger
3.) Arm Strenght
4.) Accuracy
5.) Mobility
6.) Size
7.) Calmness at all times
8.) Confidence
You don't have to have Mike Vick mobility but enough to slide away from pressure. I don't care about wins and losses in college, but you have to have the winning swagger that Marino brought with every play. You also have to intelligent, because you will get hammered if your not.

cowtowndick said:
absolutely, agreed - so the second part of my post asked who are the wr's that could be similar? smaller guys, quick, fast, great after the catch, that could be available later in the draft (smith was a third round pick, 74th overall). looking for suggestions...

David Anderson 5-11 195 Colorado State
Greg Jennings 5-11 192 Western Michigan
Adam Jennings 5-10 175 Fresno State
Jeremy Bloom 5-9 175 Colorado
Brandon Williams 5-11 175 Wisconsin
Sinorace Moss 5-8 185 Miami (FL.)

cheyannefan said:

As a CU alum I would love to see Jeremy Bloom in a Fin's uni....he is just like Wes Welker but MUCH faster.....I am talking maybe 4.2 40 speed?, besides being one of the best skiiers in the world. :)

cheyannefan said:

brandon williams sounds very interesting, as does greg jennings

Very well said. The rule changes makes it pretty obvious what the NFL wants to see -- passing and lots of scoring. That, combined with so many outstanding wide receivers coming into the league over the past few years, has really opened up the passing game. I think Miami ought to take advantage of that. Quarterbacks that may fit the deep game include Jay Cutler, Brody Croyle and Charlie Whitehurst. Others could develop including Omar Jacobs, who really didn't throw deep much in his offense, but has the arm. I'm sure there are a few others as well. The Dolphins obviously need a better left tackle to really help the qb get the ball deep. A player of that caliber would really help Randy McMichael as well, as he wouldn't have to help out as much in the blocking game.

Back
Top Bottom