Evan Mathis released | Page 6 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Evan Mathis released

this is a guy who was on big money (too big for us) and turned down a pay rise because he wanted more!

Well, I guess he's about to find out if other teams value him as much as he value himself. Or he can retire. I don't see how that is a valid argument for not pursuing him.

this is a guy who was on big money (too big for us) and turned down a pay rise because he wanted more!

Nobody seems to realize (except for Beard) he will only get what a team is willing to pay him. Either that or retire. So he will take less or retire. And i doubt he retires

Nobody seems to realize (except for Beard) he will only get what a team is willing to pay him. Either that or retire. So he will take less or retire. And i doubt he retires

He'll get more than the $2M he was GTD that was remaining on his contract. That's about it.

I was willing to trade a pick or player for this guy. He will solve our gaping hole at G for 1-2 years when we hopefully can find/develop someone worth a damn other than our existing options. While I understand not wanting to overpay and give crazy money for him, let's not be stupid and let a top G in the league walk when we currently have a turnstyle at G now! How important is keeping RT upright this year and longer than 1.1 seconds to get rid of the ball before being thrown to the ground? Just do it already!

He wont have forced this exit (again a huge deal for a guard his age) if he didnt know his market

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Mathis has Brady written all over him if you ask me

He wont have forced this exit (again a huge deal for a guard his age) if he didnt know his market

---------- Post added at 05:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:06 PM ----------

Mathis has Brady written all over him if you ask me

He forced it? Didnt chip want him gone

To be fair with that logic he'll have to retire.

Point taken, but I really get the impression that we've decided not to prioritize guard as an area to spend money. I think if we take a look there, the offer will be very limited.

He forced it? Didnt chip want him gone

Hasn't he been holding out for like the past 3 years wanting a contract? Apparently until recently he had a payrise offer on the table but turned it down because he wanted more than 6.5

Good player, dangerous age, poisonous contract. Pass.

I'd love the Dolphins to sign Mathis, but if they do then they break the longstanding tradition of the fans telling the team they have a glaring hole at a spot, them ignoring/barely addressing it, then that hole wrecking part of the season and the coaches somehow acting shocked when it happens.

Seriously, compared to our Guard and Kicker positions, even our LB and CB positions seem settled. That guard position is a friggin' mess.

Considering he wanted a new contract and he's what? 32 or 33 years old. Not sure we'll be able to sign him. He's going to want a long term deal (4 or 5 years) at about $6 mil per minimum is my guess.

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet · 5m5 minutes ago
Former #Eagles G Evan Mathis had stayed away from OTAs, wanting an increased salary. There was some predraft trade interest. Now, released.

Dont think he will end up anywhere near those stipulations, truth. At his age he will be lucky for anything over two years...IMO

Andrew Abramson ‏@AbramsonPBP
#Dolphins interested in LG Evan Mathis but might not want to pay him top guard money http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...elease-evan-mathis-dolphins-could-target-him/

Sources say there’s no doubt the Dolphins are interested in Mathis but it will come down to money and how much he’s willing to accept. Multiple teams are expected to pursue him.

He wanted out of Philadelphia and was due to make $5.5 million this season and $6 million in 2016. It remains to be seen what he can get on the free agent market.

Mathis turned down a year last January that would have increased his salary by $1 million a year. Mathis reportedly wants a deal that has performance-based incentives and would pay him as a top five guard but the Dolphins might not be willing to pay him that much.

Miami has $10.1 million in cap space, according to overthecap.com

Mathis’ uncle is former Dolphins great Bob Baumhower.
http://dailydolphin.blog.palmbeachp...elease-evan-mathis-dolphins-could-target-him/

Geoff Mosher ‏@GeoffMosherCSN
Chip Kelly and Evan Mathis hadn't spoke during the past few months. They did today. Chip delivered the news to Mathis over the phone.

Prediction: if we sign him it'll be because Tannenbaum made it happen. If we don't it'll be because Philbin interfered.

Sal Capaccio ‏@SalSports
Source: #Bills inquiring what Evan Mathis' expectations are before determining own level of interest. (meaning, money and roll)

If can help the oline sign him. Of course like everyone says it will depend on the money.

Back
Top Bottom