Even the 1-15 Dolphins can't fathom what this season is like | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Even the 1-15 Dolphins can't fathom what this season is like

For the first time I can remember I am really struggling to stay engaged
Even with the bad i would have hope...maybe juggle lineup, renewed gameplanning for a turnaround, adding young talent to starting lineup in place of vets
other than wanting to see Rosen and KEEP Drake the main RB ...I got nothing

Might want to tune out until next season.

To me, this is an interesting comparison.

The 2007 team can make fun and disassociate from the 2019 team all they want. But the reality is, the 2007 roster was put together with the idea of fielding the best team possible for that given season. Yet that team came oh so close to losing every single game. That's how bad they were, regardless how close some of the scores were.

This current team wasn't assembled with the idea of fielding the best possible team this season. Yet they could very well equal or eclipse 2007. Worst case scenario, they can only finish 1 game worse.
And based on that assumption of rebuild or tank (whichever one prefers) I am ok with it. Even with bigger losses I am calm and collected and the losses are less aggravating as those of the 2007 season.

If you go to home game right now you would be surprised how calm and collected Dolphins fans are. I have not heard a boo since Fitzpatrick was replaced (and he was booed the first game).

If you attend tailgates (at least in our area) nobody is bitching and moaning, the music still plays, we still sing Miami Dolphins #1 and pour down the shots and when you talk to people it is actually an upbeat feeling. It is all about finding the baseline of support players with the major acquisitions to make us a better team to come in FA and the draft.
We all are perfectly fine with being called the worst ever NFL franchise if there is an asteric next to it which says "that season marks the start of a new dynasty and or Superbowl run".

To me the Dolphins do everything I wanted. They got rid of overpaid mediocre talent, freed up a tremendous amount of cap space, increased the number of draft picks, created different possibilities for the team in the future (especially when it comes to QB) and continue to evaluate trying to find the right supporting cast for the future. Would I like a couple of wins here and there? Sure. But I know the Dolphins do to. Will we win a couple games here and there? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not.

If Rosen turns out to be a franchise QB we can trade one or two 1st round picks this year for a boat load of extra picks. Next year we'd be a 500 team and the following year a playoff contender. If Rosen does not turn out to be a franchise QB and we have to spend a 1st round pick in the draft we will still be on the same path just with a year delay (a few wins in 2020, .500 team in 2021, playoff contender in 2022).

I like Crowder on the show but when he starts talking about the 2007 team and makes a comparison to this years team I shake my head. Dude, the expectations were much higher in 2007 than they are in 2019.

And based on that assumption of rebuild or tank (whichever one prefers) I am ok with it. Even with bigger losses I am calm and collected and the losses are less aggravating as those of the 2007 season.

If you go to home game right now you would be surprised how calm and collected Dolphins fans are. I have not heard a boo since Fitzpatrick was replaced (and he was booed the first game).

If you attend tailgates (at least in our area) nobody is bitching and moaning, the music still plays, we still sing Miami Dolphins #1 and pour down the shots and when you talk to people it is actually an upbeat feeling. It is all about finding the baseline of support players with the major acquisitions to make us a better team to come in FA and the draft.
We all are perfectly fine with being called the worst ever NFL franchise if there is an asteric next to it which says "that season marks the start of a new dynasty and or Superbowl run".

To me the Dolphins do everything I wanted. They got rid of overpaid mediocre talent, freed up a tremendous amount of cap space, increased the number of draft picks, created different possibilities for the team in the future (especially when it comes to QB) and continue to evaluate trying to find the right supporting cast for the future. Would I like a couple of wins here and there? Sure. But I know the Dolphins do to. Will we win a couple games here and there? I don't know. Maybe. Maybe not.

If Rosen turns out to be a franchise QB we can trade one or two 1st round picks this year for a boat load of extra picks. Next year we'd be a 500 team and the following year a playoff contender. If Rosen does not turn out to be a franchise QB and we have to spend a 1st round pick in the draft we will still be on the same path just with a year delay (a few wins in 2020, .500 team in 2021, playoff contender in 2022).

I like Crowder on the show but when he starts talking about the 2007 team and makes a comparison to this years team I shake my head. Dude, the expectations were much higher in 2007 than they are in 2019.

Cause most people know whats coming down the pipe.....For the first time in a long time we got a shot at a franchise QB. Not just a Franchise QB. One that has the potential to be really good.

Didn't realize how many injuries/trades happened to the 2007 Dolphins.

Trent Green - starting QB out for season
Ronnie Brown - starting RB out for season
Ricky Williams - backup RB out for season
Chris Chambers - traded for second round pick

Lost 3/4 of the starters in the secondary with Yeremiah Bell, Renaldo Hill, and Andre Goodman. Starting two linebackers in Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder for the season as well.

Hated Cam Cameron but I don't know how any coach could have succeeded losing that many starters on offense and defense

2007 was way worse emotionally. Cameron had such an aura of corporate douchiness.

I completely agree.

That 2007 team was the result of incredibly bad planning and a willful ignorance by those in power to acknowledge how bad they were.

This team is intentionally planned this way, with tons of assets in the future to turn the ship around, and everyone knows what they are doing (but not saying they are doing for fear of penalty by the league).

As a fan, that 2007 season felt embarrassing. This season, I can't get enough of the hilarious Dolphins suck memes. Keeping a folder of them for when this tank turns this team into a contender for the first time in decades.

To me, this is an interesting comparison.

The 2007 team can make fun and disassociate from the 2019 team all they want. But the reality is, the 2007 roster was put together with the idea of fielding the best team possible for that given season. Yet that team came oh so close to losing every single game. That's how bad they were, regardless how close some of the scores were.

This current team wasn't assembled with the idea of fielding the best possible team this season. Yet they could very well equal or eclipse 2007. Worst case scenario, they can only finish 1 game worse.

That 2007 was most certainly not put together with an eye on the championship that year. We were a mediocre team at best that become a terrible team when injuries took out ots starting QB, leaving it with two guys who were not even fit to be backup QBs when it came down to it, and also lost its running back who was the foundation of the offense. Not to mention I think we lost Yeremiah Bell that year and had safety play so bad it single handedly lost games (kind of like our safety play at the end of Gase's first season in the playoffs).

Sure, it was a failure of a season, but the fact of the matter is the pieces on that team formed key parts of a team that made the playoffs the next year, and one that could have made the playoffs several more times with above average QB play it just didn't get from the QB it drafted.

Hmm... kind of. I remember this message board and I had them as a 4 win team. I remember thinking people were crazy with their predictions of 7-8-9 win team (like I do every year). So even the homers who always think we're going to win 10+ games thought we were going to be JUST ok...

So, I think a lot of people knew they were gonna suck.

But the plan definitely wasn't to tank, that's true.

Anyways, I really want us to win 1 game this season, I am not okay with going down into the history books as one of those winless teams. Thats concrete. Everything else is wishful thinking and hope... and you'll have to excuse me if I don't have faith in this front office to execute.

Just win 1 game. I don't give a **** about the rest.

2007 and 2019 team suck they will have same record at end of yr

Didn't realize how many injuries/trades happened to the 2007 Dolphins.

Trent Green - starting QB out for season
Ronnie Brown - starting RB out for season
Ricky Williams - backup RB out for season
Chris Chambers - traded for second round pick

Lost 3/4 of the starters in the secondary with Yeremiah Bell, Renaldo Hill, and Andre Goodman. Starting two linebackers in Zach Thomas and Channing Crowder for the season as well.

Hated Cam Cameron but I don't know how any coach could have succeeded losing that many starters on offense and defense

Like I always say that was a 3 - 5 win team opening day that turned into a 0 win team when the wheels came off injury wise. This year we fielded a 0-1 win team on opening day which truly materialized on final cut down weekend.

Here was the idea: Talk to some 2007 Miami Dolphins. Tap into their remembered pain. Dredge up the darkness inside that 1-15 season to grasp how these struggling Dolphins feel today.

Only the 2007 Dolphins weren’t buying it.

“This start isn’t like our season,” Hall of Fame defensive end Jason Taylor said.

“I don’t think the two seasons are related at all,” said Randy Mueller, the team’s general manager at the time.

“I looked up some numbers the other day,” 2007 linebacker Channing Crowder said. “We lost six games by three points — games we were in until the end, last-second games, like our opener we lost in overtime to Washington. We were competitive. We weren’t getting dragged up and down the field (like this year).”

This becomes the most sobering thought of all about this season’s September: Even the 1-15 Dolphins can’t fathom what it’s like. Even that dreadful year wasn’t as dreadful as these first few games that the Dolphins have lost by an average of 39 points.

Imagine going through that season and the building block for your team going forward is an offensive tackle.

Number 1 pick... let's grab a tackle and build towards the future...

One team were just losers.
One team is full of losers for a purpose....

For the first time I can remember I am really struggling to stay engaged
Even with the bad i would have hope...maybe juggle lineup, renewed gameplanning for a turnaround, adding young talent to starting lineup in place of vets
other than wanting to see Rosen and KEEP Drake the main RB ...I got nothing

If you can get beyond rooting for wins I think there's a lot to enjoy. To me the last few years of the Tannehill era were more difficult to watch.

Back
Top Bottom