Even With A Lack Of Depth At Rb, Dolphins Could Take A Patient Approach To Bolster Unit | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Even With A Lack Of Depth At Rb, Dolphins Could Take A Patient Approach To Bolster Unit

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
750x422

Flores, entering his first year as an NFL head coach, will rely on Drake and second-year running back Kalen Ballage to pace the Dolphins rushing attack this coming season.

Unfortunately for the Dolphins, those are the only two running backs on Miami’s roster ahead of NFL draft, which begins on April 25.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-sp-dolphins-deen-rb-20190403-story.html

5-10-5-11, 220, 39 vert, 125 broad, 4.4-4.5-40
Prototypical, built, explosive, fast.

No more 6-1 and 6-2 running backs, please!

We have a lot of needs man. RB might have to be an UDFA because this is a weak class this year for RB's and we have holes all over the place so you need to get value and RB in this draft is not value.

I agree RB will probably be addressed on Day 3 of the draft. Some of the backs who interest me are Ryquell Armstead - Temple, Rodney Anderson - Oklahoma, Dexter Williams - Notre Dame, Jordan Scarlett - Florida or Alexander Mattison of Boise State.

5-10-5-11, 220, 39 vert, 125 broad, 4.4-4.5-40
Prototypical, built, explosive, fast.

No more 6-1 and 6-2 running backs, please!

Jim Brown - 6'2"
AD Peterson 6'2"
Todd Gurley 6'1"
Joe Mixon 6'1"
Eddie George 6'3"
Zeke Elliot is 6'
Jordan Howard 6'
Melvin Gordan 6'1"
Leveon Bell 6'1"
Leonard Fornette 6'
David Johnson 6'1"
Derrick Henry 6'3"

Actually finding a top level RB under 6 feet is harder...you have Kamara, Carson, Barkley...that is about it.

I would like to see Miami get one of the top running backs, but that almost seems like a "splurge" with the huge holes on both lines. Maybe if the team trades down in the first round, they can take a running back earlier. A mid-rounder who I like is Holyfield from Georgia. He has some Beastmode in him and could be a nice complement to Drake.

I think Sanders from Penn State has a chance to be special, but he is likely a 2nd rounder. Montgomery and Damien Harris are two that I really like as well. Both are pretty complete backs who can catch out of the backfield.

I would like to see Miami get one of the top running backs, but that almost seems like a "splurge" with the huge holes on both lines..

They can sign TJ Clemmings RT, and Ryan Groy G. The only need is to get the best players in the draft. If it's Josh Jacobs so be it. I do not think it is Josh Jacobs because he ran poor 40, and there are more explosive running backs scheduled to go later in the draft. But BPA is the way to go.
There is nothing wrong with drafting NKeal Harry at 13.
BPA does not eliminate defensive players, but it does eliminate projects, like Montez Sweat, drafting for need, and reaching for players like DK Metcalf because he is a project!

They can sign TJ Clemmings RT, and Ryan Groy G. The only need is to get the best players in the draft. If it's Josh Jacobs so be it. I do not think it is Josh Jacobs because he ran poor 40, and there are more explosive running backs scheduled to go later in the draft. But BPA is the way to go.
There is nothing wrong with drafting NKeal Harry at 13.
BPA does not eliminate defensive players, but it does eliminate projects, like Montez Sweat, drafting for need, and reaching for players like DK Metcalf because he is a project!
I agree. I do think BPA early on will be defensive line, which is great for Miami. But I do like Harry a lot at wide receiver, more than Metcalf even. I think he would fit a trade down scenario. Sanders or Montgomery in R2 would be exciting. Montgomery maybe makes it to R3. I wouldn't take Jacobs in R1.

You are right, though. You build with the best players and Miami has enough holes that you can go in virtually any direction.

Running backs are a dime a dozen. It would be the least of my worries. If I ever was a gm of a team, I would never draft a running back in the first round unless I was a clear super bowl contender and my pick was in the mid 20's or later. Even then I would probably pass on running back unless he was clearly far and away the best prospect available at that spot.

Running backs generally go quite cheaply unless they are unquestioned bell cow backs.
Drake and Ballage will be enough... assuming they stay healthy. We will ride these two this year in order to assess their long term viability.
Behind them, we'll likely have a day three pick and a reclamation project ufa.

Back
Top Bottom