everson griffen | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

everson griffen

hmm...well the stuff i reviewed it never came across to me that the effort was lacking in any way...unlike so many other of these guys

hmm...well the stuff i reviewed it never came across to me that the effort was lacking in any way...unlike so many other of these guys

Yeah, I think most of those issues were attributed to an immature Fresh/Soph. I understand that he was humbled by the C. Matthews situation - CK mentioned it in another post.

holy cow...i just got done looking at some of his stuff...impressive...this guy plays on his feet like he's 250 lbs has a burst to the ball and quick acceleration...and some eye popping closing speed...

is that guy really 280 lbs??? his change of direction is so damn fluid...his read and react skills and awareness are excellent...sets the edge very well...

wow...he looks much more natural standing up to me than derrick morgan and he has EXCELLENT speed...

that's one hell of a great looking prospect...now i can see 3-4 solb there...absolutely

Looks like you and I were doing the same thing at the weekend! I emailed Chris and Con almost the same thing you wrote last night. "Fluid. In. Space" They were the three words that stood out for me over everything else. Very comfortable in a two point stance and the ability to change direction quickly and work back down the field......very good looking prospect.

I think some of the work ethic things are a worry but you know what, this is a kid who was born a special athlete. He ran a 4.46 forty at the Nike Summer Camp in Arizona 3 years ago and part of me thinks that as one of the most highly decorated and highly recruited athletes of the past decade, that he almnost felt like it would come naturally to him and it didn't and getting beaten out by Clay Matthews was the best thing that could have happened to him because it gave him the kick in the pants to sit up and say, 'you know what, you have to work at it no matter how physically gifted you are.'

He's had some other off field issues - fights in practice, most notably with Kyle Moore and a citation from the police over a noise violation last summer - I think it was noise. But that's pat-a-cake stuff. He's hardly Marlo Stanfield.

He reminds me of Anthony Spencer but I just can't get over how good he looks in space, how fluid he looks for a human being listed at 278.

i can see the anthony spencer comparisons absolutely...but i think he's more fluid than spencer...and spencer is now becoming a heck of a player...

but like you said with griffen...278 lbs and moves like that...it's crazy...and hard not to be wowed by

Seems this has been Everson Griffen week. I spent a lot of time catching up to him toward the end of the work week as well.

My question is: how does Griffen's ability in space compare to Merling's? Given they both played a little in a 2 point stance in college and have roughly the same kind of build (Merling came out in the 270 pound range, if I remember). But I didn't have a chance to look at much college tape of Merling so I don't have any way to make a comparison.

Given all the speculation that Merling is moving to the strong side backer, it would seem a pressing evaluation.

If Phil Merling starts more than say 10 games for the Phins at OLB, I will go mud wrestle with 3 fat chicks.

i see now why slimm and others are so high on this kid...

i can't really say how merling looked in space at clemson but i can say i'm hard pressed to find a player at 270 lbs or more who looks as fluid standing up and in space as everson griffen does...

it's so rare...

Seems this has been Everson Griffen week. I spent a lot of time catching up to him toward the end of the work week as well.

I am not shocked that after you mentioned him, he suddenly became a hot topic:pimp:

If Phil Merling starts more than say 10 games for the Phins at OLB, I will go mud wrestle with 3 fat chicks.

you'll get killed. you know how fat chicks act when they get there hands on a dude right. they never know when they will get their chance again, AND YOU want to go to battle with THREE of them???!!!:p4286:

I think at 12, Miami's biggest need is SOLB. It is just such an important component of the defense, even moreso than ILB in my view. I think Sparano has even said that the OLB's make the whole D go. Miami just does not have a depth of talent at SOLB, let alone top drawer talent like Griffen.

I agree that Griffen has an Anthony Spencer visual look, but I would say more explosive. I think optimistically that Julius Peppers could be a comparison physically. Either way, Griffen certainly fits the trifecta's profile. The FO may see him as potentially having a DeMarcus Ware type impact athletically to this defense, which is sorely needed for us to run the type of defense we want. Interestingly, this is around the point in the draft where the Cowboys got Ware.

Our FO really does not like to compromise on certain measurables as a rule. I am talking things like arm length, hand size, height, etc. They also like "football players" and production. And Miami is not afraid to supposedly "reach." They are not in the draft like a miser trying to perfectly optimize value on everything they "buy." If the guy they want, with the right measurables, is there, they might just take the guy, no matter how blue Kiper, Jr. gets in the face talking about how the guy would have been there later. They want to make sure they get their guy, with the measurables they want. See, e.g., Kendall Langford, Patrick Turner, Brian Hartline et al.

If you look at the last two drafts, Miami has flat out drafted for the size they wanted across the board. Its actually uncanny when you even look at Davis and Smith etc. That makes me wonder about B. Graham and piques my interest on Griffen. The outlier of course is Pat White, and look where that got them.

Back to my thesis here. I am sure the FO likes Brandon Graham and Griffen, at least I hope so. Graham has had outstanding production. But I suspect that Griffen will have him beat on measurables. Isn't Graham closer to 6'1 and Griffen more like 6'3? The FO tends to stick to its guns on what it wants physically. Zach Thomas never would have had a chance with these guys philosophically. I admire that these guys stick to their guns. The reason is that when you put an entire squad together of guys that have the right measurables, you get a certain synergy where the pieces fit together better.

I think Griffen's sheer potential may give him the edge. I am not sure Miami would have the opportunity to get a specimen/athlete/"football player" like Griffen anytime soon, in this or any other draft or even realistically in free agency. If he's there and he interviews well, I would think he would be tough to pass. I am getting a tad nervous Griffen won't be there at 12. If he is not, I like Graham as well.

Another interesting factor is that Griffen was an outstanding RB in HS.

His HS coach said that he had never seen another player who had the ability to turn games around on both sides of the line as he did.

Also heard Griffen talking about his peripheral vision. How hes able to see a lot more of the field naturally without having to turn his head.

A little RB experience can't hurt.

Back
Top Bottom