EVERYONE says it won't work, BUT.... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

EVERYONE says it won't work, BUT....

Do you realize you've posted 134 times so far today?

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I think any good team (and I think history shows this but I don't feel like stating it back) will destroy any good option team.. and I don't believe it is that close... It is not like a power set that can have just 6 plays and still be succesful... a power O depends on each man doing a job, hat on hat... if they do that you WILL pick up yards maybe only 1 at a time but you will move slowly.

The Option atttack DEPENDS and NEEDS the defense to make mistakes, second guess itself, and self destruct... that has to happen to win.

While a Power O, Pro, Run-n-gun, West coast... you can still beat teams even if they play well.

I know that is the general belief

Equalizer said:
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, I think any good team (and I think history shows this but I don't feel like stating it back) will destroy any good option team.. and I don't believe it is that close... It is not like a power set that can have just 6 plays and still be succesful... a power O depends on each man doing a job, hat on hat... if they do that you WILL pick up yards maybe only 1 at a time but you will move slowly.

The Option atttack DEPENDS and NEEDS the defense to make mistakes, second guess itself, and self destruct... that has to happen to win.

While a Power O, Pro, Run-n-gun, West coast... you can still beat teams even if they play well.

My point is we'll never have to opportunity to know. The most talented teams don't embrace the option attack anymore and probably never will. IF a Miami or a USC suddenly decided to run the wishbone, my belief is they would succeed tremendously.

You act as if the option is solely based on the perimeter. That is ANYTHING but the case. The FB is the focus of many of the best option attacks. There are multiple counter option plays that attack the interior. OU used to run the belly series with Billy Sims the second back thru and bust him for huge TD runs out of that.

A successful option team would need great linemen. The teams that run the option now or recently are second level teams that don't have anything close to great linemen.

Again, I think it boils down to raw talent. Oklahoma tried to throw the ball in the early '90s after Switzer left and failed miserably. They only succeeded at it when Stoops stacked the roster with tremendous players. Nebraska was lousy last year with a passing attack. But if Callaghan improves the talent base to where it was in the '90s they will contend. As a USC alum, I don't pretend our recent upsurge is due to throwing the football. It's due to the likes of Carson Palmer, Matt Leinart, Reggie Bush, Mike Williams and all the studs in the trenches who Pete Carroll brought in.

I'm not sure 100% about this, but I think the steelers ran the option occasionally with Kordell Stewart

HugeFinFan said:
I'm not sure 100% about this, but I think the steelers ran the option occasionally with Kordell Stewart

They did. I remember one game, a couple years back when the Raiders were very good, the Steelers upset the Raiders and they scored a TD on an option run.

DolphinDevil28 said:
If we take AD McPherson, I could see that happening maybe 5 times a year.

...Anyone remember Todd Doxson??? Jimmy Johnson would take Dan out for a play or two and run an option with Doxson on third down. The defense looked like chickens with their heads cut off running around the field.

I'd love to see us do that with McPherson a few times next year.

I remember Todd Doxson, but I dont remember seeing it work... :confused:

Oh BTW... Todd plays WR now for an Arena team...
http://www.arenafan.com/players/?page=players&player=2878

Back
Top Bottom