Everyone should save this to their desktop | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Everyone should save this to their desktop

by looking at that chart and like I've said before it'd only take pick 39 to move from 5 to 3
Do you really beleive Detroit makes that trade though?

If there are more than one team interested, it becomes a who wants it more thing.

Even if it were only the Phins, Detroit would have to be damn sure what the G-men had in mind, of they had their eye on one particular player.

That chart says that if Miami wanted to move up from 18 to 13 to grab an OT they would have to give SF their 3rd round pick.

That seems about right to me.

Has anyone seen a chart that puts values on Future picks?

I would be curious to see what #26 would be worth in a trade down in that scenario.

From what I've heard, future year picks are devalued by a round once they agree on where they think the team will finish. Let me know iof anyone knows better please.

Is that LA logo the Rams? It’s hideous. What was wrong w the one that, you know, had ram horns on it?

Is that LA logo the Rams? It’s hideous. What was wrong w the one that, you know, had ram horns on it?
YEs. Looks like something from ratemypoo.com . Epically hideous. They had a classic logo with the blue and yellow horns and not it looks like an infants diaper after he got ahold of some poundcake and blueberries.

Do you really beleive Detroit makes that trade though?

If there are more than one team interested, it becomes a who wants it more thing.

Even if it were only the Phins, Detroit would have to be damn sure what the G-men had in mind, of they had their eye on one particular player.

I think it comes down to who else wants the pick. The 5th pick guarantees Detroit still gets an elite prospect. Teams further back might be willing to give up more picks, but they would lose out on guys like Okudah or Simmons.

You have to remember that these charts are just guidelines.

Draft picks do not have a literal numerical value.

All teams have slightly different versions of these charts.

But they do help give you an idea of trade up/trade down possibilites.

Agreed, AND those chart values fall apart as more teams are competing for the same pick

The chart provides a guide. However, as Mach2 points out above, different teams have different needs. If a team is getting progressive desperate to fill a particular gaping hole on their roster and there is a run on a particular position, they will probably be prepared to give up a lot more than the chart says. In economics, we learn that demand and supply are not constant ie they are dynamic - and we see that at the moment when we walk through the supermarket and see no toilet paper on the shelves. As such, demand for that commodity has significantly increased and we are forced to go online and are prepared to pay significantly more if we want to wipe our a$$es.
And teams are at different points in their life cycle. A team that believes they are 1 player away and has an overall aging roster may see a 1-3 year window for winning a Super Bowl, and be more willing to go up and get that one player they need. On the flip side, if that same team is cap-strapped, they will be less inclined to trade up, and more willing to trade down to get more reasonably priced role players.

Teams that are rebuilding, tend to want a large amount of draft picks. That's why we stockpiled picks for the 2020 and 2021 drafts. But now that we have that large pick base, we can be more choosey and trade up for impact players if we feel we need a sensational guy. For instance, most of the Tua-fans on this board believe we will have to trade up from 5 if we want to get him. Others, like myself, would rather stay at 5 and get the talent upgrade by keeping our picks and adding 3 first rounders, 2 second rounders, and a bunch of other picks, increasing our chances of finding a gem.

From what I've heard, future year picks are devalued by a round once they agree on where they think the team will finish. Let me know iof anyone knows better please.

I have always heard that too.

A 3rd this year will get you a 2 next year.

I am not sure that applies across the board though, would a 2nd get you a 1st next year? I guess it would depend on where both teams thought they would be drafting the following year.

I almost always want to trade down to add more picks, especially late 1st round, but the added value of the 5th year of control has changed that philosophy a bit.You can save some money by moving from late 1st to early 2nd, (especially if you have the players in the 25-40 range graded pretty equally) and you add draft picks which increases your options and chances to hit on picks.That certainly seems to be the Belichick view.

But like I said, that 5th year is a factor.

But in Miami's case having 3 1st rounders that will all be due extensions in the same year could be a headache down the road. But if they hit on all 3 the headache and Cap distress is worth it.

So I don't know what I would do. ;)

Last edited:
Agreed, AND those chart values fall apart as more teams are competing for the same pick

Right. If there is a player worthy of multiple team interest you end up with an auction, which is going to drive the price up.

Detroit at 3 for example. If Miami and LAC both have to have Tua then you have a bidding war that blows the value chart out of the water.

by looking at that chart and like I've said before it'd only take pick 39 to move from 5 to 3

The problem is the Charges could offer #6 and #37 vs. Miami's #5 and #39. Could go either way.....unless Miami offers #26.

The problem is the Charges could offer #6 and #37 vs. Miami's #5 and #39. Could go either way.....unless Miami offers #26.
Didn't even noticed the chargers were picking ahead of us in the 2nd round. Of course that'd depend on if the chargers really want Tua or do they like Herbert in which case they could just stay at 6 and draft him there unless of course we(FO/HC) like Herbert and draft him instead of Tua..........at that point it might take 3 days to be able to get in this site after it crashes hard.

Didn't even noticed the chargers were picking ahead of us in the 2nd round. Of course that'd depend on if the chargers really want Tua or do they like Herbert in which case they could just stay at 6 and draft him there unless of course we(FO/HC) like Herbert and draft him instead of Tua..........at that point it might take 3 days to be able to get in this site after it crashes hard.

Chargers must be debating the same thing as the Fins......the risk to move up. We have more draft capital so they would be giving up more since they wouldn't pic until the 3rd and we will pick again in the first. LOL....if it does crash it won't be up and running until after the draft is completed.

Back
Top Bottom