Examining The Dolphins’ Defensive Options At No. 13 In The Nfl Draft | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Examining The Dolphins’ Defensive Options At No. 13 In The Nfl Draft

Wonder how rashan Gary did in interviews. I’m sticking with that’s the guy Miami picks at 13. Unless they think he’s not smart enough. Or Miami green lights sweat and he comes to us. A little bit of stiffness and legginess to him but can flatten to the qb and covers ground in a hurry with that stride
Gary has been flagged for medical reasons. Torn labrum which requires surgery. Looks like he's dropping in the draft.

Gary has been flagged for medical reasons. Torn labrum which requires surgery. Looks like he's dropping in the draft.

Probably goes in the bottom of the first now, that shoulder thing isn’t as scary as an ACL but you probably have to redshirt him if they go the surgery route. That and the production knock.

Probably goes in the bottom of the first now, that shoulder thing isn’t as scary as an ACL but you probably have to redshirt him if they go the surgery route. That and the production knock.
Also shitty wonderlic score. Some will value that.

Well they need a QB, but Because Robert Quinn is gone to Dallas they have to replace him, If Sweat is there or if Ferrell is there they would have to consider it.

Well they need a QB, but Because Robert Quinn is gone to Dallas they have to replace him, If Sweat is there or if Ferrell is there they would have to consider it.
Sweat will be there and he'll keep on dropping. Several teams already took him off their board for medical.

In Rashan Gary's case, for me it's just a situation where I'm going to bet on the talent and the film over the production or Wonderlic.

Secondly, the production kinda was there. Not so much in terms of double digit sacks, but nobody produces double digit sacks for Michigan. Taco Charlton was able to produce double digit sacks for Michigan his Senior year but obviously doesn't mean anything. He was never going to be a double digit sack guy in the NFL.

You pretty much have to go back a decade to Brandon Graham to find a guy that was able to produce double digit sacks for Michigan that mean anything. Rashan Gary has the talent to be a double digit sack guy in the NFL, unlike Charlton. More importantly, he has the talent and ability to beat his man and pressure quarterbacks and affect both the passing game and running game.

People act like Chase Winovich had 20 sacks or something. He didn't even lead the team in sacks. He only had 5. Gary had 3.5 in 4 less games played.

Winovich only had 2 more sacks than Gary last year (8 to 6).

But when you look at the pressures and ability to hurry opposing quarterbacks over the past 3 years, Gary edges out Winovich in that category by a slight margin. All while playing less games and with a bum shoulder this past season.

I just think it's a case where if you look at all the double digit sack guys in college over the past several years - guys who ended up leading or nearly leading the nation in sacks, you see a whole lot of nothing in the NFL. Very, very, very few are able to duplicate those numbers in the NFL. Quarterbacks in the NFL get the ball out quicker.

Do people really think Sutton Smith is going to rack up sacks at a higher rate in the NFL than Rashan Gary? Smith had 29 sacks over the past 2 years at NIU. He couldn't even stay on his feet at the Senior Bowl. He's too small. Guys like Dalton Risner were tossing him like a ball of paper. Just no chance.

Last edited:
In the case of Montez Sweat, I think he'll eventually get drafted in the later rounds, somewhere between 5th-7th. But boy does his health situation scare me. Jeffery Simmons is a guy that may slid into the later part of round #1 or the earlier part of round #2. Someone will take a chance on his talent. Everyone knows he's a top 5-10 talent. Just got to wait out the rehab and hope he returns to form upon his return. Rashan Gary may slip as well. But in his case I'd rather take the chance on a bum shoulder than a injured knee. He has a lot of qualities that a New England based system would covert. This 1st round is shaping up to be something or somewhat of the unexpected happening. I think it's possible an earlier run on Offensive Linemen will take place; with some of the question Mark's surrounding some of the Key Defensive Linemen pushing them further down the draft board, then most expect.

Thing about Gary is though that he does seem to lack a counter at the top of his rush. I think he does a good job of using his strength and cod to get off blocks and flush and that cat can run like a gazelle when in full gallop pursuit but I don’t see much true win pass rush arsenal usage. Gets off the ball well but outside of mostly what I would call power rush he rarely wins cleanly and clears a guy in other words.

In terms of motor my experience is when guys are getting paid in the pros effort seems to become a lot more consistent. Might even have been saving himself some.

So I don’t put as much stock in that as I do having the physical tools and upside and of course the ability to close on tbe qb or in space which Gary’s got in spades. Plus high level redirect for 277 lbs

Last edited:
If Montez sweats no longer gonna be attending the draft he’s obviously feeling like his stock has fallen off a cliff

Im all for completely trading out the first round with one of those teams that have none.

Thing about Gary is though that he does seem to lack a counter at the top of his rush. I think he does a good job of using his strength and cod to get off blocks and flush and that cat can run like a gazelle when in full gallop pursuit but I don’t see much true win pass rush arsenal usage. Gets off the ball well but outside of mostly what I would call power rush he rarely wins cleanly and clears a guy in other words.

In terms of motor my experience is when guys are getting paid in the pros effort seems to become a lot more consistent. Might even have been saving himself some.

So I don’t put as much stock in that as I do having the physical tools and upside and of course the ability to close on tbe qb or in space which Gary’s got in spades. Plus high level redirect for 277 lbs

Yeah it's pretty typical of bigger, stronger, more athletic DE's. Guys like J.J. Watt were the same way coming out of college.

Counters are great for speed rushers, but if you have the ability to take a more direct route to the quarterback - that's what you want. It's a more rare trait to have.

The freakish size/speed/athleticism guys with production to match - the Myles Garrett's, Jadeveon Clowney's, Mario Williams, Julius Peppers, etc. - they just don't come around very often. They usually go #1 overall when they do. In Peppers case, #2 overall.

It's scary how much Gary resembles Peppers coming out of college, except with J.J. Watt's production.

Back
Top Bottom