Excellent Analysis of Miami's Offense | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excellent Analysis of Miami's Offense

I like the additions of Achane and Berrios, because they directly address the lack of RAC on underneath throws. Higgins as well, but he could take time to adjust, and he's a 6th RD pick. Achane and Berrios also fix the KR/PR problem Miami had last year.

I like the addition of Anderson, because he's a legit deep threat that allows Miami to use Hill and Waddle underneath when they want/need - while still threatening the D vertically.

It'd be nice if the OL took another step forward, and I think they can, but these moves (in theory) mitigate the risk associated with that unit.

Tua was excellent at getting rid of the ball quickly last year, but it's hard to be consistent when you pass as quick and deep at such a high rate. He really was spectacular for most of 2022. Using Hill and Waddle on more easy routes, and getting the ball to Achane and Berrios underneath should make life easier and should put the D in a bind.

I think Miami addressed its biggest needs this offseason - complementary RAC receivers and DC. I like how they match up with anyone.

In depth spotlight on what went very well and what didn't go so well and what to do about it.

Hint: Run the ball more and take the underneath stuff, as we've discussed.

The checkdowns to Achane, Saubert, & hopefully Higgins should take the offense to another level.

p.s. Add Ingold to the list of checkdown candidates.

It was year one.

Frank Smith is actually the OC.

You have been having this conversation, mostly with yourself, for about 9 months now.

Never credit for the many good things that were accomplished in a short time, only bitching
Dude relax
Just responding to someone with my thoughts and agreeing with him
My analysis is spot on, he did a subpar job

Dude relax
In some categories, I'm inclined to agree.

Overall, though, I think he did as well, or better, as one could realistically expect, and there is ample/substantial reason to believe he will improve in the areas that need addressing.

I'm relaxed. I calls em as a sees em.

Was there anything you liked about our HC's first year?

Dude relax

As a fan who only pursues football only from my seat, I acknowledge that if I see something happening on the field it's highly likely that the coaches are seeing it, too. I don't think McDaniel is bad at his job.

As a fan who only pursues football only from my seat, I acknowledge that if I see something happening on the field it's highly likely that the coaches are seeing it, too. I don't think McDaniel is bad at his job.
The system has answers. It wasn't about McD having to adjust. It was about Tua not forcing the ball. That's what you see when you watch the all-22. Tua had check down options for when the D was flooding the middle, he just didn't use them. People who think the passing game choices were all on McD are using a very limited view.

In some categories, I'm inclined to agree.

Overall, though, I think he did as well, or better, as one could realistically expect, and there is ample/substantial reason to believe he will improve in the areas that need addressing.

I'm relaxed. I calls em as a sees em.

Was there anything you liked about our HC's first year?
Yes, his humor

Um, there’s a lot of room for improvement. He had some really bad guffaws last season. Re-read my last paragraph, I’m rooting for the guy

I like the additions of Achane and Berrios, because they directly address the lack of RAC on underneath throws. Higgins as well, but he could take time to adjust, and he's a 6th RD pick. Achane and Berrios also fix the KR/PR problem Miami had last year.

I like the addition of Anderson, because he's a legit deep threat that allows Miami to use Hill and Waddle underneath when they want/need - while still threatening the D vertically.

It'd be nice if the OL took another step forward, and I think they can, but these moves (in theory) mitigate the risk associated with that unit.

Tua was excellent at getting rid of the ball quickly last year, but it's hard to be consistent when you pass as quick and deep at such a high rate. He really was spectacular for most of 2022. Using Hill and Waddle on more easy routes, and getting the ball to Achane and Berrios underneath should make life easier and should put the D in a bind.

I think Miami addressed its biggest needs this offseason - complementary RAC receivers and DC. I like how they match up with anyone.
Excellent post as always. Your thought on Fins possibly going after Cooks?

I swear, many of you guys watched a different game. The reason Miami lost the SF game was because Tua had his most uncharacteristic game he had all season. He was inaccurate all game long and it had nothing to do with what San Francisco’s defense was doing. Miami had receivers running wide open all game long, and especially early in the game, Tua had ample time to throw but was just missing his targets. Even that douche Chris Simms said after the game that he had never seen San Francisco’s defense so overmatched.
That's how I remember that game, yes.

The system has answers. It wasn't about McD having to adjust. It was about Tua not forcing the ball. That's what you see when you watch the all-22. Tua had check down options for when the D was flooding the middle, he just didn't use them. People who think the passing game choices were all on McD are using a very limited view.
I at first thought that too but after watching that you are correct, Tua did have plenty of check downs and never took them. I also believe coach could have made that more of an emphasis though toward the end of the year when defenses started figuring it out. But I think coach was just as money hungry as Tua was which was why there was no adjustments. That has to change this year. Don't get me wrong, I love the deep ball and the quick score ability but when the check downs are there we gotta hit them when needed. It's a healthy balance I guess. The Good thing is coach recognizes it. So we will see!

I at first thought that too but after watching that you are correct, Tua did have plenty of check downs and never took them. I also believe coach could have made that more of an emphasis though toward the end of the year when defenses started figuring it out. But I think coach was just as money hungry as Tua was which was why there was no adjustments. That has to change this year. Don't get me wrong, I love the deep ball and the quick score ability but when the check downs are there we gotta hit them when needed. It's a healthy balance I guess. The Good thing is coach recognizes it. So we will see!

There are mistakes QBs make that can be attributed to the HC/OC. Check downs are one of them. If a QB is ignoring checkdowns, the coaches can get in his ear when he's on the sideline. 'That 1D was there. Why didn't you check down to to the RB?' I'm not absolving TT, but every QB develops bad habits. It's the coaches job to correct it IN-GAME.

I see that as one of the big next steps in Tua's development. But it's not just as simple as 'the coach mentions it and it will happen'. Tua is very, very aggressive by nature. When I scouted him in college, I called him the most aggressive college QB I'd ever seen. It takes time re-learn habits and to curtail your instincts. And for the coach there's a balance between trying to steer your QB and not letting him play instinctively.

Back
Top Bottom