Excellent article | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excellent article

Fantastic article. Thanks @dolphinheel for posting this!

I wanna jump right in, but I'll avoid the urge to break down everything. Of note, the OL and QB positions bear a lot of scrutiny. NONE of the QB's excel in all of the 5 areas. For instance, if I had to guess as to weightings (scales) and a total score, here would be my estimation:

PlayerDecisions 1-10Arm 1-8Size 1-6Toughness -1-5Leadership 1-4Total
Joe Burrow10444426
Tua Tagliavioloa9523423
Justin Herbert6762122
Jacob Eason6864329
Jordan Love3743320

I'm completley making up these scales based on a weighting that does not exist. It could be Decisions is twice as important as anything else, or that the other items are equally weighted ... or something else. And, these are my estimations, and I'm sure all of the snarky people will like to NOT give their own evaluations, but rather just take pot shots at individual people or ratings with which they disagree. But, I'm putting myself out there. using the criteria mentioned in the article, and assigning weights (scales) that assume most important to least important, I'm assigning scores. Personally, these outcomes reflect my opinions on who we should draft and why. Everyone has a different opinion, so please let me know yours ... we're all having a civil discussion, not snarky sniping, so let's all be cordial. :)

NOTE: I graded Toughness for the mental attribute, and did not include durability, which should be calculated in there somewhere as well. Accuracy is not listed anywhere, nor is Precision, but I'm certain they are at the top of mind when considering any QB in this system.

As I said, opinions may differ.
Digital, I ABSOLUTELY LOVE WHAT YOU HAVE DONE HERE. LOVE IT! KUDOS! Yes, I was yelling from the top of my lungs. I like how all these different criteria aren't all 1-5 or 1-10. I'd love to add a column for Movement within the pocket under duress. Thats very important to me, so I'd put that on a 1-8 scale & move your 'arm' column to a 1-7 scale. Thats MHO.

OBTW, I LOVE WHAT YOU DID HERE! Did I mention that before? :up: :hclap:

BB is no offensive genius. He got lucky getting the greatest QB all time in the 6th round running the show for two decades.

When Brady plays BB offense averaged 28ppg. When other QBs start for BB offense averaged 19ppg.

Although I usually love Hyde, I could care less about this. Its vague and likely no different than the rest of the league. Also, our coach is Flores....

I wanna jump right in, but I'll avoid the urge to break down everything. Of note, the OL and QB positions bear a lot of scrutiny. NONE of the QB's excel in all of the 5 areas. For instance, if I had to guess as to weightings (scales) and a total score, here would be my estimation:

Joe Burrow10444426
Tua Tagliavioloa9523423
Justin Herbert6762122
Jacob Eason6864329
Jordan Love3743320

I'm completley making up these scales based on a weighting that does not exist. It could be Decisions is twice as important as anything else, or that the other items are equally weighted ... or something else. And, these are my estimations, and I'm sure all of the snarky people will like to NOT give their own evaluations, but rather just take pot shots at individual people or ratings with which they disagree. But, I'm putting myself out there. using the criteria mentioned in the article, and assigning weights (scales) that assume most important to least important, I'm assigning scores. Personally, these outcomes reflect my opinions on who we should draft and why. Everyone has a different opinion, so please let me know yours ... we're all having a civil discussion, not snarky sniping, so let's all be cordial. :)

NOTE: I graded Toughness for the mental attribute, and did not include durability, which should be calculated in there somewhere as well. Accuracy is not listed anywhere, nor is Precision, but I'm certain they are at the top of mind when considering any QB in this system.

Eason will likely never be anything more than a career backup in the NFL but thanks for the chart.

BB is no offensive genius. He got lucky getting the greatest QB all time in the 6th round running the show for two decades.

When Brady plays BB offense averaged 28ppg. When other QBs start for BB offense averaged 19ppg.

Oh word? Offenses do poorly when they lose their starting QB?

phew that must mean, losing 9 PPG, they are losing a ton. I mean like you said, he’s a shitty coa-

Oh he kept winning? Oh wow 10 wins with a backup?

bad coach you say?

GREAT post. Loved reading it. Thinking Draft wise, if they are following that then pick is definitely Tua as he's by far the most accurate hands down throughout his career.

You might be right about the pick, but you possibly are looking at it through tua colored goggles. There's .5% difference in their completion numbers. Not a hands down kind of difference.

Oh word? Offenses do poorly when they lose their starting QB?

phew that must mean, losing 9 PPG, they are losing a ton. I mean like you said, he’s a ****ty coa-

Oh he kept winning? Oh wow 10 wins with a backup?

bad coach you say?
Don't make up words and statements I didn't say. I didn't say he was a shitty or bad coach, I said he is no offensive genius.

Hopefully you are smart enough to understand that the level of competition matters when it comes to winning and losing games.

That 10 wins with a backup was by playing the weakest schedule a team could possibly hope for. It's the main reason why the 1-15 Dolphins team the year before were able to go 11-5 that year. We got to see the real Dolphins when they faced a good team in the playoffs at home against the Ravens. An absolute beat down.

The AFC East played the NFC West and AFC West.

Out of those 8 teams "ONLY" one team had a winning record, the Cardinals at 9-7. How did the Cardinals finish 9-7? Because they went 6-0 against the Seahawks, 49ers and Rams.

The Chargers won the AFC West finishing 8-8. How did they finish 8-8? They had a 5-1 record against the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs.

Where did the other 4 Patriot wins come from? Going 4-2 against the Dolphins, Jets and Bills who also weren't all that good, their records helped by playing that weak-ass schedule.

The Pats played "LITERALLY" two good teams that year...Colts and Steelers. They scored 15 and 10 points, losing both games.

It basically was a fluke in the schedule in 2008 when Cassel started in which one division (AFC East) played two of the weakest divisions all-time in the same year.

The Cassel team in 2008 lost 5 more games than the year before with the same players on offense, despite the 2007 team playing an extremely difficult schedule and the 2008 team playing an extremely weak schedule.

All the same pieces on offense were there in 2008 that were there in 2007, yet the Patriots scored 179 less points with Cassel (-11.2 ppg) than with Brady. The Patriots scored less than 20 points in 7 of the 16 games with Cassel (again, against an extremely weak schedule). The Patriots didn't score less than 20 in any game during the regular season in 2007 under Brady. In fact, in 12 of the 16 games under Brady in 2007 (again, against a strong schedule) the Patriots scored 31 or more points. In 8 of the 16 games under Brady they scored 38 or more points.

Here is a little something for you to try an comprehend.

In the 7 seasons without Brady, including the 10-5 record accumulated during that weak-ass schedule with Cassel starting, Belichick is 54-63, had a losing record in 5 out of 7 full seasons and is 1-1 in in the playoffs. Belichick even had Nick Saban as DC in 4 of those seasons, losing records in 3 of the 4.

In the 18 seasons (seasons in which Brady played more than one game) with Brady, Belichick is 219-64, had 0 losing seasons and is 30-11 in the playoffs, 9 Super Bowls, 6 Championships.

Let this soak in. The Pats won 6 games under Brady in the playoffs in which the Patriots allowed 28 or more points. No other QB has more than 2 when their team allows 28 or more.

In the 6 Super Bowl wins, Brady has 6 GWDs in the 4th/OT, including coming from behind two times when trailing by double digits to start the 4th (10 points to the Seahawks and 19 to the Falcons).

In two of the losses (Giants and Eagles), Brady led the Patriots to TD drives in the 4th to put the Pats ahead and the defense didn't hold the lead.

In the 9, 4th quarters Brady has played during the Super Bowl + one drive in OT (beating the Falcons) the Pats have scored 94 points. Overall, Brady has led the Patriots to 9 drives in the 4th/OT in Super Bowls to put the Pats in the lead.

You might think that is because Belichick is an offensive genius who's mind led to all those GWDs in the Super Bowl, but I tend to think that is Brady being Brady, just like Marino was being Marino, P Manning was being P Manning, and Montana was being Montana during tight games in the 4th.

BTW, Cassel was a mid 3rd round pick that got to watch and learn from interacting with Brady for "3" years before 2008. Pretty darn advantageous for a backup QB, not to a mention playing for a team that went 16-0 the year before. And again, there was the weak-ass schedule.

In 2010, Cassel led the Chiefs to a 10-5 record as a starter under Todd Haley. The Chiefs were 2-14 in 2008 and 4-12 in 2009. Does that make Haley an offensive genius?

So, you got anything to back your untrue statement and sarcasm? Or is this just your thing, go around read people's posts, make up lies regarding what was said and attribute statements to them they didn't make?

Go ahead an prove that Belichick is an offensive genius without Brady.

Perhaps while you are at it you can shed light on how Belichick enhanced the careers of good QBs like Kosar, Testaverde and Bledsoe who all faired better under other HC's despite Belichick having them in their prime years.

Last edited:
Eason will likely never be anything more than a career backup in the NFL but thanks for the chart.
You probably were one of the guys touting Josh Rosen when I was saying Ryan Fitzpatrick was the better QB ... but thanks for the non-opinion. Stick your neck out sir. Tell me who the surprise is going to be? Go ahead, call your shot!

Joe Burrow10444426
Tua Tagliavioloa9523423
Justin Herbert6762122
Jacob Eason6864329
Jordan Love3743320

Wonder why Herbert is rated a 2 for toughness and just a 1 for leadership. I know he is said to be more of a quiet leader. Interesting information.

Interesting take on Miami's wide receivers. Sounds like the wide receivers on the roster don't exactly fit that Bellichick mold.

Wonder why Herbert is rated a 2 for toughness and just a 1 for leadership. I know he is said to be more of a quiet leader. Interesting information.
Remember that the higher number is better. I rated Herbert 1 for leadership because he simply isn't an alpha-male guy, is more reserved, and I have real concerns about his ability to command a huddle and instill confidence when needed. Herbert is smart, but not all football players are, and they don't respect intelligence, they respect force of will and performance. Shy guys do not instill confidence. Polite guys do not command a huddle. For me, Herbert is very much an unknown quality as a leader. The other guys playing QB have good leadership skills, such as Fromm, Tua and Burrow, and by comparison, Herbert is lacking. Herbert might develop as a leader, but so far, he is underwhelming.

Toughness was a hard one. Mental toughness seems to be a common strong trait for the other players. I downgraded Herbert less because he is not tough and more because the other QB's exude it moreso. I was not grading for durability or Tua would be the lowest. From the neck up Herbert is very smart and polite and a good guy ... but that firey personality to lead and inspire ... I just haven't seen it. THAT is what worries me about Herbert.

Remember that the higher number is better. I rated Herbert 1 for leadership because he simply isn't an alpha-male guy, is more reserved, and I have real concerns about his ability to command a huddle and instill confidence when needed. Herbert is smart, but not all football players are, and they don't respect intelligence, they respect force of will and performance. Shy guys do not instill confidence. Polite guys do not command a huddle. For me, Herbert is very much an unknown quality as a leader. The other guys playing QB have good leadership skills, such as Fromm, Tua and Burrow, and by comparison, Herbert is lacking. Herbert might develop as a leader, but so far, he is underwhelming.

Toughness was a hard one. Mental toughness seems to be a common strong trait for the other players. I downgraded Herbert less because he is not tough and more because the other QB's exude it moreso. I was not grading for durability or Tua would be the lowest. From the neck up Herbert is very smart and polite and a good guy ... but that firey personality to lead and inspire ... I just haven't seen it. THAT is what worries me about Herbert.
Just for kicks, since there's a lot of interest on this board for Hurts, how would you rate him in those categories?

what people also forget is that #12s wife is the breadwinner so that he can donate his share to upgrading the team unlike an other in the league

Back
Top Bottom