Excellent article | Page 3 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Excellent article

Just for kicks, since there's a lot of interest on this board for Hurts, how would you rate him in those categories?
I don't rate his throwing skills strong enough to take the time needed to rate him. I'll defer to someone else who takes the time to look at enough of him to make a quality assessment. He's not a guy on my radar. IMHO, the hidden gem is Jacob Eason. A few years from now, don't be surprised if he becomes the steal of this draft.

Don't make up words and statements I didn't say. I didn't say he was a ****ty coach, I said he is no offensive genius.

<Buncha googling>

So, you got anything to back your untrue statement and sarcasm? Or is this just your thing, go around read people's posts, make up lies regarding what was said and attribute statements to them they didn't make?

Go ahead an prove that Belichick is an offensive genius without Brady.

Wonderful! Let’s review -
First, you have a stretched definition of what untrue is. I inferred something you implied.

I am laughing at this weird attempt of being a nice non combative nice guy then you bust out a random straw man attack.

i guess if i had a thing on this site it’d be breaking news several times, way before insiders. Or maybe the fact I had a couple players as friends last year? Maybe? Dunno. Not sure about this other attack tho. That’s probably not my thing. not sure what you’re referencing.

Then again, based off what you believe to be “true” and “untrue”, it’s very possible you’re confusing me with another poster! Either way.

Since you asked - My argument for Brady not being the way to carry belichick is well the first few Super Bowls. Belichick adapts. He’s the greatest coach in the history of the nfl, and I do say that begrudgingly. I don’t think Brady would’ve had the sheer amount of success he did without Belichick, but I do believe belichick would’ve had nearly the same as without Brady.

We can disagree without you getting upset bud :-) hope the quarantine isn’t wearing you too thin!

Wonderful! Let’s review -
First, you have a stretched definition of what untrue is. I inferred something you implied.

I am laughing at this weird attempt of being a nice non combative nice guy then you bust out a random straw man attack.

i guess if i had a thing on this site it’d be breaking news several times, way before insiders. Or maybe the fact I had a couple players as friends last year? Maybe? Dunno. Not sure about this other attack tho. That’s probably not my thing. not sure what you’re referencing.

Then again, based off what you believe to be “true” and “untrue”, it’s very possible you’re confusing me with another poster! Either way.

Since you asked - My argument for Brady not being the way to carry belichick is well the first few Super Bowls. Belichick adapts. He’s the greatest coach in the history of the nfl, and I do say that begrudgingly. I don’t think Brady would’ve had the sheer amount of success he did without Belichick, but I do believe belichick would’ve had nearly the same as without Brady.

We can disagree without you getting upset bud :-) hope the quarantine isn’t wearing you too thin!
I'm not your bud and I'm not upset.

You ought to stick to your own inventory.

Last edited:
Phew! Well.. hope it gets better man! We’ll see how billy does this year either way :-)

You might be right about the pick, but you possibly are looking at it through tua colored goggles. There's .5% difference in their completion numbers. Not a hands down kind of difference.
I'm actually now on the Tua fence. When you consider how often he was hurt....

I'm actually now on the Tua fence. When you consider how often he was hurt....

You and me both, but I'm looking at the trade-back side of the fence more and more each time I see a reacharound for Tua happening on this site. With that being the case, I should have made a dent in the earth from falling so fast and hard.

You and me both, but I'm looking at the trade-back side of the fence more and more each time I see a reacharound for Tua happening on this site. With that being the case, I should have made a dent in the earth from falling so fast and hard.
I mean I get the attraction. But playing behind a top 5 line, he got injured so badly a surgery was required 4 times (everyone forgets he also broke his wrist). The guy is brittle. Look at the Panthers the last couple years and change the name from Cam to Tua and you have what we'll be dealing with. When healthy, he's great but every time he gets hurt it's more rehab, more pain for him to endure, at what point does he pull a Luck and say I'm good guys. That's my concern.

Last edited:
I mean I get the attraction. But playing behind a top 5 line, he got injured so badly a surgery was required 4 times (everyone forgets he also broke his wrist). The guy is brittle. Looks t the Panthers the last couple years and change the name from Cam to Tua and you have what we'll be dealing with. When healthy, he's great but every time he gets hurt it's more rehab, more pain for him to endure, at what point does he pull a Luck and say I'm good guys. That's my concern.

I give him his rookie contract before he crosses the path. I say that because he'll get one year 'on the house' because he has been so banged up.

I don't rate his throwing skills strong enough to take the time needed to rate him. I'll defer to someone else who takes the time to look at enough of him to make a quality assessment. He's not a guy on my radar. IMHO, the hidden gem is Jacob Eason. A few years from now, don't be surprised if he becomes the steal of this draft.
My opinion on HURTS is a he's GAILEY kinda QB (run/pass/make something happen) & he could be had between rounds 2-4. Allowing the team to build along with developing a QB. So if they're not as high on TUA or HERBERT they might be interested in going this route.

I was also feeling FROMM from the 3rd to 5th round range, if we have already taken a TUA/HERBERT/BURROWS. Just not sure their feelings about ROSEN.

Just trying to think of alternatives...

My opinion on HURTS is a he's GAILEY kinda QB (run/pass/make something happen) & he could be had between rounds 2-4. Allowing the team to build along with developing a QB. So if they're not as high on TUA or HERBERT they might be interested in going this route.

I was also feeling FROMM from the 3rd to 5th round range, if we have already taken a TUA/HERBERT/BURROWS. Just not sure their feelings about ROSEN.

I agree. I think Hurts has a chance to succeed in the NFL. We are talking about a quarterback who started as a freshman at Alabama. Who had success at two major programs including Oklahoma, which has churned out a couple of #1 overall picks at quarterback the past two years.

I think Fromm and Hurts are the two with the best chance to exceed their draft position.

Don't get me wrong, I like Herbert better. But Herbert comes at the expense of missing a top five elite talent. With Fromm or Hurts you can build up around them before they are picked.

Remember that the higher number is better. I rated Herbert 1 for leadership because he simply isn't an alpha-male guy, is more reserved, and I have real concerns about his ability to command a huddle and instill confidence when needed. Herbert is smart, but not all football players are, and they don't respect intelligence, they respect force of will and performance. Shy guys do not instill confidence. Polite guys do not command a huddle. For me, Herbert is very much an unknown quality as a leader. The other guys playing QB have good leadership skills, such as Fromm, Tua and Burrow, and by comparison, Herbert is lacking. Herbert might develop as a leader, but so far, he is underwhelming.

Toughness was a hard one. Mental toughness seems to be a common strong trait for the other players. I downgraded Herbert less because he is not tough and more because the other QB's exude it moreso. I was not grading for durability or Tua would be the lowest. From the neck up Herbert is very smart and polite and a good guy ... but that firey personality to lead and inspire ... I just haven't seen it. THAT is what worries me about Herbert.
Just because Justin Herbert is introverted, don't assume that he lacks confidence. Everything I've heard is that he is an extremely confident guy. Maybe having a really big arm is part of it.

We don't HAVE to pick a QB at 5, developing a mobile quarterback is ok with me if we're making our OL, D, and running game better. If you have those 3 squared away any QB looks good

Not a good article imo. This is stuff you learn in JV football. This isn’t scouting info, it just general knowledge that even a high school coach would have. Also, so much has changed since 1990, so I’m not sure why Hyde is trying to apply 30 year old information to the 2020 Dolphins roster. The only use for these old football notes is to put them in a football history muesem.

Yeah, honestly, I think it will be just as interesting to see who the Patriots draft at QB. There's some big shoes to fill up there. And Belichick has something to prove for the first time in a long time.

Just because Justin Herbert is introverted, don't assume that he lacks confidence. Everything I've heard is that he is an extremely confident guy. Maybe having a really big arm is part of it.
For me it's not having the confidence that I think he lacks, its the ability to calm down a jittery huddle in the 4th quarter, or in the playoffs. That effusive belief that makes his teammates believe in themselves. It's hard to quantify or capture that ... but some guys just have it.

For instance, Joe Montana was a very good QB, and he was great at it. In a key early series in the 49'ers first Super Bowl appearance, the offense was overwhelmed by the moment. In the huddle, rather than call the crucial play, Montana said something to the effect (paraphrasing):

'Hey, did you guys see the rack on that girl in the first row!?!?!!? Wow, that's good stuff .... (pause) ... I'll call it at the line of scrimmage, on 2, BREAK.'

His teammates couldn't believe it, this was SERIOUS stuff, this was the SUPER BOWL, this was a CRUCIAL 3rd DOWN, and Joe was as cool as a cucumber ... he wasn't nervous at all ... he quietly and confidently knew they would convert the 3rd down and win the game. This calmed his offensive teammates down ... and they played well, and they won. That's just one moment, but you can see how it removed the nervousness from the entire huddle. That's a ****y/arrogant move. That made the team believe in him, and themselves.

Not every QB has that kind of leadership. For instance, Marino was the guy who displayed firey intensity, and on 4th and short, threw a bomb for a TD. After that, everyone on his team believed in him. Well, honestly, he had done stuff like that so many times before they already believed in him, but you get my drift. Can you see that sort of behavior out of Herbert? Honestly, I don't know, and that's why I'm concerned. I am confident that Fromm, Tua, Burrow, Love, and Eason can all command a huddle. I'm just not as convinced with Herbert ... he seems like a very nice guy, and that is not always respected in a huddle. Alpha dominance is what they want to see.

Back
Top Bottom